Things that make RE a RE and lackthere of.

#11Gaara_fanPosted 10/21/2012 8:55:46 AM
While I agree that some cool things that make me remember that a game is a RE, some of the complaints doesn't go well with new type of gameplay we have now. The game is now focused on cooperation alongside online interaction. That means some of the old concepts of RE franchise must be ditched otherwise the game won't work.

Typewriters and inks for example would only work until RE4. After RE5 and it's checkpoints/chapter based system, typewriters and inks would only have a detrimental effect in gameplay, especially online part.

Puzzles are still present in Leon's campaign for an good extent. But for a better co-op interaction they have less than the previous games. RE5 had a good mix of puzzles here and there but I think Capcom considered letting an solo campaign as Ada have it more puzzles in RE6 because it suits more solo gameplay.

Yellow Herbs is a moot point. It just preference over a single discarded item. I liked yellow herbs in RE4 which did increase your overall health bar, but I disliked poison and yellow herbs in the original RE. Not only it did occupy more inventory, it was pain to combine it and in the end was just something to cure something annoying. Now only red and green herbs are better for inventory management and combining them, easier to decide what do with them.
---
"O Admonishing melody, arise in the of Necromancer. Mystic Cage"
#12zenandiPosted 10/21/2012 9:09:15 AM
MrSleeps posted...
what i meant about gears of war comparision is that, 1 you can stomp on dudes on the ground, also, the chris and jake campaign the enemies have guns already and it seems you have to use "cover' to shoot them,

wouldn't you agree that gears of war is heavy on the cover system? just a minor comparison.

Yep, you're absolutely right.

And that is why its so sad -- that very few people can understand that the main campaigns actually tap into very, very little of what the game can do.

There is not enough incentive to melee everything, or to use Quickshot (heck, I didn't use this at all 4 chapters in... ), or even risk a Royal Guard. But first of all, Gears of War most definitely have none of these things.

Neither could one fault folks like you.

It looks like a TPS, it has guns, it even feels like a TPS. So the natural conclusion is its an okay TPS shooter with a melee aspect. But its not. The reality is, its a melee game that has a gunplay aspect.

If you don't believe me, try the Mercenaries with an open mind with a desire to master that mode -- You literally could not play the campaign the same way as before, if at all.

IF its your cup of tea, you'll even be wondering why one stupid mini-game is better than the entire campaign.

It's simple -- its the core gameplay is in its natural environment being pushed to the limit, whilst the campaign lets you leisurely walk in, shootshootshoot, move on, shootshootshoot, without even touching any of the fancy stuff.
#13ProdicalxPosted 10/21/2012 9:16:29 AM
Why do people bother with this? Don't speak as if every RE fan loved the first the most, or even loved the way the first few games played the most. I've had a heck of a lot more fun with RE 4/5/6 then I've had with any other RE game (other then maybe ORC), and that's because it's more of my type of game. Not everyone liked the first few games, and the first game wasn't even considered a 'hit' until a later date.

Also, outside of more action, I don't really see how any of the game relate to GoW. There's still worry on ammo consumption, and keeping yourself a distance away from the enemy. That's not a worry in GoW.
#14MrSleeps(Topic Creator)Posted 10/21/2012 9:31:04 AM
Prodicalx posted...
Why do people bother with this? Don't speak as if every RE fan loved the first the most, or even loved the way the first few games played the most. I've had a heck of a lot more fun with RE 4/5/6 then I've had with any other RE game (other then maybe ORC), and that's because it's more of my type of game. Not everyone liked the first few games, and the first game wasn't even considered a 'hit' until a later date.

Also, outside of more action, I don't really see how any of the game relate to GoW. There's still worry on ammo consumption, and keeping yourself a distance away from the enemy. That's not a worry in GoW.

maybe because this is a resident evil forum and its made for fans to discuss and talk to each other? why post if you dont like the topic.

also the only fans that like 5 and 6 better are people who were like 4 when re came out and played it years later, its your opinion sure and i respect that but you are a minority here, too many games are coming out where you shoot shoot shoot run in straight line and require no thought or thinking. games now are coming out so casual gamers can enjoy also
#15thetravmanPosted 10/21/2012 9:31:12 AM
What TC described is what modern gamers despise. RE fans adore the subtle style of the older RE games: backtracking, exploring survival needs, managing convoluted inventory systems, and solving puzzle after puzzle. These days gamers prefer mindless action. Capcom is trying to appeal to the mainstream audience, while alienating old fans in the process. I like the new direction myself but a part of me misses the RE survival horror.
#16EleczoroPosted 10/21/2012 9:58:53 AM
No TC, RE isn't what you make RE out to be. Old-School fans have got to realize that the franchise isn't theirs unless they're purposely trying to troll. Its the old "True Scotsman" fallacy.
#17softwarefreakPosted 10/21/2012 10:09:33 AM
"Also, outside of more action, I don't really see how any of the game relate to GoW. There's still worry on ammo consumption, and keeping yourself a distance away from the enemy. That's not a worry in GoW."

I think that TC is basically trying to say that this game could be repackaged under any TPS title and it would fit. Sure the game has new mechanics but, in the coming months I can assure you that these will be facets of all releases as the new "In Thing".
For example, COD 4 was the first FPS game to truly provide players with the ideal online experience, since then virtually all FPS games have followed this basic template and then added their own unique features.

Res has followed suit by applying the "basic" TPS template, and then added features unique to this game (for now). However the original RE games worked from a relatively unique template, which was of their own creation.
Also they have, once again, followed suit by making the game require the online ability. Now I know the game does not have to be played using online but, as was pointed out in a previous post, the dynamic of the game has been shaped with co-op in mind. This is then "complimented" by the growing trend for companies to add features to the games through DLC, which Res is due to receive at some point thus making the "choice" of online features, less of a choice.

I should now point out that I am a Games Dev, and tearing apart how games like this work is part and parcel of what I do to ensure that the games we produce are unique, or as close as is possible. :)
---
If you stand for nothing, You'll fall for anything!
#18EleczoroPosted 10/21/2012 10:14:36 AM
softwarefreak posted...
"Also, outside of more action, I don't really see how any of the game relate to GoW. There's still worry on ammo consumption, and keeping yourself a distance away from the enemy. That's not a worry in GoW."

I think that TC is basically trying to say that this game could be repackaged under any TPS title and it would fit. Sure the game has new mechanics but, in the coming months I can assure you that these will be facets of all releases as the new "In Thing".
For example, COD 4 was the first FPS game to truly provide players with the ideal online experience, since then virtually all FPS games have followed this basic template and then added their own unique features.

Res has followed suit by applying the "basic" TPS template, and then added features unique to this game (for now). However the original RE games worked from a relatively unique template, which was of their own creation.
Also they have, once again, followed suit by making the game require the online ability. Now I know the game does not have to be played using online but, as was pointed out in a previous post, the dynamic of the game has been shaped with co-op in mind. This is then "complimented" by the growing trend for companies to add features to the games through DLC, which Res is due to receive at some point thus making the "choice" of online features, less of a choice.

I should now point out that I am a Games Dev, and tearing apart how games like this work is part and parcel of what I do to ensure that the games we produce are unique, or as close as is possible. :)

Ok, but a franchise also runs with its story. The story of BOWs and viruses with morally correct characters is something pretty unique to RE, not to mention the music is very blatantly RE (orchestral) which fits with RE2 and 5.
#19Soldier_0_CrossPosted 10/21/2012 10:18:35 AM
The thing is the puzzles now are all done in the same room you get them now. You dont have to search previous areas for an item that you use to get another to solve a puzzle in another room. Its just. Oh that door is locked now...Well the solution is somewhere within this room.
---
Go beyond the impossible and kick reason to the curb!
#20softwarefreakPosted 10/21/2012 10:24:15 AM
Very true, I overlooked these purely because my area is the mechanics of how the game is played, as opposed to the more "artistic" elements (creative writing, music, creature/ character design) which I leave to the other team members who are far more competent at it than I.

But thinking about it the creature designs have not, to my knowledge, been repeated in other games (aside from zombies, of course!), likewise with the core elements of the story.
---
If you stand for nothing, You'll fall for anything!