Things that make RE a RE and lackthere of.

#31MrSleeps(Topic Creator)Posted 10/21/2012 12:57:45 PM
HorsemanSkip posted...
If you enjoy the older RE's, then you do. No one should fault you for that. However, what annoys me is assuming you had to think to beat them. I replayed Resident Evil 1 a few years ago. Beat it in just under 5 1/2 hours in one sitting. No game that I can do that in requires much thought. The only thinking I had to worry about was planning ahead. Conserving ammo correctly so I can handle what's up next. The puzzles were neither complicated or difficult. And they reset when you left the room, making them even easier. The "puzzles", to me, were nothing more than an annoyance I had to get through.

replaying a game you have beaten before of course your going to beat it faster, hell i beat resident evil for gamecube around that same time, doesn't mean first time you played it you had to think which door lead me to here looking at map etc, (where was that locked door i just picked up the key) etc.

also its much different now replaying them when im 26 years old and i was 13 when i played resident evil 2 right?

back to 6, i havn't played ada's campaign yet good to see theres puzzles, but the "puzzles" or lackthereof is a joke, the bell part is a puzzle in leon's campaign? looking at 4 bells and shooting them really wasn't a puzzle, the jake part finding the tokens isn't a puzzle,

i mean what part of this is a puzzle in leons chap 2 i believe where you go to a courtyard and the doors locked then it zooms in on another door where you proceed to find a key card. thats a puzzle? i think some of you guys need to reevaluate your terms of what a puzzle is. but anyways. thanks for the input on the list of "puzzles" i look forward to ada's
#32ProdicalxPosted 10/21/2012 1:14:04 PM
MrSleeps posted...
Prodicalx posted...
Why do people bother with this? Don't speak as if every RE fan loved the first the most, or even loved the way the first few games played the most. I've had a heck of a lot more fun with RE 4/5/6 then I've had with any other RE game (other then maybe ORC), and that's because it's more of my type of game. Not everyone liked the first few games, and the first game wasn't even considered a 'hit' until a later date.

Also, outside of more action, I don't really see how any of the game relate to GoW. There's still worry on ammo consumption, and keeping yourself a distance away from the enemy. That's not a worry in GoW.

maybe because this is a resident evil forum and its made for fans to discuss and talk to each other? why post if you dont like the topic.

also the only fans that like 5 and 6 better are people who were like 4 when re came out and played it years later, its your opinion sure and i respect that but you are a minority here, too many games are coming out where you shoot shoot shoot run in straight line and require no thought or thinking. games now are coming out so casual gamers can enjoy also

Why post if you don't like the game? RE series isn't about being the same as the first game. That's a incredibly stupid thing to do, just look at what Halo has done. It's a series that has grown as the culture has grown, Also, the first game didn't require thinking, you just needed to be more conservative, that's not thinking, that's running past enemies. The idea that the first RE game was some hard, well thought out game, just really shows that you weren't that old when it first came out. Every game has that great nostalgia effect, but the fact of the matter is that the more you game, the easier it gets. Since RE 4/5/6 are later in.. well time, then of course the seem easier.

Also, there isn't so many people here that think RE1/2 are so much better then RE4/5/6, it's just that the first group are far more vocal about it.
#33EleczoroPosted 10/21/2012 1:30:37 PM
Prodicalx posted...

Why post if you don't like the game? RE series isn't about being the same as the first game. That's a incredibly stupid thing to do, just look at what Halo has done. It's a series that has grown as the culture has grown,

Every series changes. The ones that don't are left behind and considered stale.
#34DarkD3stinyPosted 10/21/2012 2:34:59 PM
Eleczoro posted...
Prodicalx posted...

Why post if you don't like the game? RE series isn't about being the same as the first game. That's a incredibly stupid thing to do, just look at what Halo has done. It's a series that has grown as the culture has grown,

Exactly. Old style fans were complaining that the games were getting stale and sales were dropping so Capcom did what any business would do and change their games. If you want to blame someone for the games changing then blame the old re style fans because they didn't support Capcom enough. The fans now are supporting Capcom enough so these type games will continue.
---
My favourite re game is re6. Yes it has flaws but its basically a better version of re4 and re5.
#35DarkD3stinyPosted 10/21/2012 2:42:09 PM
Old re style fans complained that re5 had no atmosphere so Capcom put atmosphere in re6. Old style fans complained about lack of puzzles in re5 so Capcom put puzzles in re6. They also complained that the re5 AI was crap so Capcom made the AI in re6 self sufficient. It dosent matter what Capcom does they will always get it wrong because fans dont know what they want. Even when LIN came out people complained that it was to short and not enough enemies instead of appreciating that Capcom did something for the old re style fans. Face it you will never be happy no matter what Capcom does.
---
My favourite re game is re6. Yes it has flaws but its basically a better version of re4 and re5.
#36softwarefreakPosted 10/21/2012 2:58:10 PM(edited)
Eleczoro posted...

Right, there are so many elements in a video game that has to be considered, gaming sure is a complicated medium isn't it lol. Congrats on being a part of the video game industry, must be very exciting! You must be very skilled to do all these programming. There are just so many things to be thought of including things ike advertising and PR.

"Exciting"..................yeah, seems like it until you commit funds and time to it, then reality sets in and........... "OMG this is going to be a complex endeavor!!!" But on the plus side, there are others involved!
Back to the topic at hand, as much as I would like to say that Res has stayed faithful to the originals, I am afraid, IMO, that it has succumbed to the generic way that gaming is going. I.E. If the game does not involve; lots of explosions, high octance gun fights (throughout), terminology which does not stray into the realm of being overly-technical, online play and numerous DLC, then it is "living in the past".

Casing point: Dead Space (1) - No online play what so ever (YAY!!!), still outsold its sequel. Admittedly it had DLC, but it added to the experience, as opposed to being the experience, I.E. people waiting impatiently for Res 6 DLC news, nevermind the actual release!

Also, and please do not hate me for this, but RE:4 should have been titled "Resident Evil: Rebirth"; works on two levels, the new style of game play and, the new subject matter (No more Umbrella, Racoon city etc.) [Black market BOWs and terrorism, in a new context].
---
If you stand for nothing, You'll fall for anything!
#37MrSleeps(Topic Creator)Posted 10/21/2012 4:03:39 PM
Prodicalx posted...
MrSleeps posted...
Prodicalx posted...
Why do people bother with this? Don't speak as if every RE fan loved the first the most, or even loved the way the first few games played the most. I've had a heck of a lot more fun with RE 4/5/6 then I've had with any other RE game (other then maybe ORC), and that's because it's more of my type of game. Not everyone liked the first few games, and the first game wasn't even considered a 'hit' until a later date.

Also, outside of more action, I don't really see how any of the game relate to GoW. There's still worry on ammo consumption, and keeping yourself a distance away from the enemy. That's not a worry in GoW.

maybe because this is a resident evil forum and its made for fans to discuss and talk to each other? why post if you dont like the topic.

also the only fans that like 5 and 6 better are people who were like 4 when re came out and played it years later, its your opinion sure and i respect that but you are a minority here, too many games are coming out where you shoot shoot shoot run in straight line and require no thought or thinking. games now are coming out so casual gamers can enjoy also

Why post if you don't like the game? RE series isn't about being the same as the first game. That's a incredibly stupid thing to do, just look at what Halo has done. It's a series that has grown as the culture has grown, Also, the first game didn't require thinking, you just needed to be more conservative, that's not thinking, that's running past enemies. The idea that the first RE game was some hard, well thought out game, just really shows that you weren't that old when it first came out. Every game has that great nostalgia effect, but the fact of the matter is that the more you game, the easier it gets. Since RE 4/5/6 are later in.. well time, then of course the seem easier.

Also, there isn't so many people here that think RE1/2 are so much better then RE4/5/6, it's just that the first group are far more vocal about it.

if you read my posts you would see that i say i do enjoy re6., also if you keep reading my posts you would of read that i was about 12-13 when i play re directors cut (im 26 now),

again im just discussing things with other resident evil fans if your going to try to bash or hate theres plenty of other topics with 12 year old kids that you can go have fun with.

also dont give me the game has to evolve because there's a plethora of games that are very similar to the start of the series, uncharted is a new series its very similar with just adding couple things every uncharted.

devil may cry

grand theft auto

gears of war

i also will state this again, i really enjoyed re4, i had so much fun playing that game, i dont know it was maybe because i haven't played a re game in a long time before playing that game but i love that game

also stating that i beat re1 and 2 in no time it wasn't a challenge etc etc is lame, i mean go to youtube pretty much any game has been beating with tas in a hour, so that means the game is bad? no idea what your points are saying it wasn't a challenge back in the day when you played it
#38iSeibaPosted 10/21/2012 5:46:39 PM
MrSleeps posted...
back to 6, i havn't played ada's campaign yet good to see theres puzzles, but the "puzzles" or lackthereof is a joke, the bell part is a puzzle in leon's campaign? looking at 4 bells and shooting them really wasn't a puzzle, the jake part finding the tokens isn't a puzzle,

i mean what part of this is a puzzle in leons chap 2 i believe where you go to a courtyard and the doors locked then it zooms in on another door where you proceed to find a key card. thats a puzzle? i think some of you guys need to reevaluate your terms of what a puzzle is. but anyways. thanks for the input on the list of "puzzles" i look forward to ada's

You have to shoot 5 bells, not 4. The game tells you that you need to shoot 5. You look and see 4 bell towers, then realize that one of them doesn't even have a bell and you have to find the two much less obvious bells which the game doesn't give any hints about. You are really over simplifying that situation.

The ID medals in Jakes was included because, as I said, many people were including similar situations in older REs. Yeah, you could really just follow the way point and kill enemies to get the 10 needed. But there are definitely some of the 16 total that require some thinking and others are just scattered about in not particularly obvious places.

And really? To try to prove your point you pick on something that obviously isn't a puzzle and that nobody called a puzzle, just so you can say that it isn't a puzzle. Pretty poor way of proving your point.
#39YawnTheSnakePosted 10/21/2012 6:11:11 PM
Says he misses old days......

Confuses Yellow Herbs from the game that changed the franchise and killed off survival horror , With Blue herbs.
#40EleczoroPosted 10/21/2012 6:47:44 PM
DarkD3stiny posted...
Eleczoro posted...
Prodicalx posted...

Exactly. Old style fans were complaining that the games were getting stale and sales were dropping so Capcom did what any business would do and change their games. If you want to blame someone for the games changing then blame the old re style fans because they didn't support Capcom enough. The fans now are supporting Capcom enough so these type games will continue.

Lol most definitely. The biggest examples of games getting stale are sport games where they're basically the same game every year. Though they do get alot of sales but those are from sport fans not gamers. I would say parody movies is a good example of genres being left behind.

"Exciting"..................yeah, seems like it until you commit funds and time to it, then reality sets in and........... "OMG this is going to be a complex endeavor!!!" But on the plus side, there are others involved!
Back to the topic at hand, as much as I would like to say that Res has stayed faithful to the originals, I am afraid, IMO, that it has succumbed to the generic way that gaming is going. I.E. If the game does not involve; lots of explosions, high octance gun fights (throughout), terminology which does not stray into the realm of being overly-technical, online play and numerous DLC, then it is "living in the past".

Casing point: Dead Space (1) - No online play what so ever (YAY!!!), still outsold its sequel. Admittedly it had DLC, but it added to the experience, as opposed to being the experience, I.E. people waiting impatiently for Res 6 DLC news, nevermind the actual release!

Also, and please do not hate me for this, but RE:4 should have been titled "Resident Evil: Rebirth"; works on two levels, the new style of game play and, the new subject matter (No more Umbrella, Racoon city etc.) [Black market BOWs and terrorism, in a new context].

Well, as RE has always been more action than most survival horrors, its mainly because Capcom just wants the series to be more mainstream, and action is many people's favorite genre. If it was a bad decision or not isn't up for us to determine, it was their choice, if they wanted RE to go this way, then its their decision. They're taking a risk, making hardcore survival horror fans leave while attracting action fans. Since apparently with all the people involved in this game they decided to make RE action or not and they did, then its their decision. I guess Capcom just isn't going to make survival horror games anymore. Also keep in mind that they must have newer employees too, maybe even replacing the older ones so we're not even talking the same team.

What kind of games does your company make? If you're trying to make survival horror that'd be pretty neat but of course the team is going to find a balance of stuff like hardcore survival horror and making it appealing to the public. I've actually had some ideas for survival horror games lol but I'm not in a position to do much about it.