It's kind of funny, how the choices based on RE4 are received badly by 4 fans...

#1GreatJallopiPosted 11/15/2012 8:03:38 AM
Oh, you liked pressing buttons at certain times to avoid certain death? We'll do it again!

Oh, you thought it was awesome having to tap a button to swim faster from a sea monster? We'll do it again!

Oh, you liked that boring underground segment? We'll do it again!

Oh, you liked that largely-exaggerated and ridiculous plot we made up? We'll do it again!

Oh, you thought it was awesome that Leon rode a jet ski at the end? We'll do it a bunch more times!

Sometimes I despise this fanbase. If you like the games before 4, you MUST be wearing nostalgia goggles because there's absolutely NO WAY you can enjoy the gameplay. If you like 5 and 6, you're just a fan of dude bro action with no depth. Heaven forbid you say something bad about 4, you're no longer entitled to an opinion.

6 isn't that much different from 4, and people need to stop kidding themselves. It annoys me when people say 4 was "the perfect blend of action and survival horror". Why? There was NO survival aspect to it.
---
I am the cheese. I am the best character on the show. I am better than both the salami and the bologna combined.
#2DwzLITHUANIAPosted 11/15/2012 8:09:38 AM
But there was survival. Fighting those bugs and then those reanimators was pretty intense and the music helped lots in both instances.
#3GreatJallopi(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2012 8:13:21 AM
DwzLITHUANIA posted...
But there was survival. Fighting those bugs and then those reanimators was pretty intense and the music helped lots in both instances.

But it wasn't survival. The ridiculous amount of ammo drops and healing items, coupled with the ability to buy and upgrade weapons, removed survival. Not to mention the absurdly large inventory they gave you. People criticize 6's inventory, but the thing is, it's much more generous than the pre-4 games.

And by your logic, fighting reapers in 5 was survival, or fighting Rasklapanje in 6 was survival. Obviously you're fighting to SURVIVE, but that's NOT what's meant about a game having a SURVIVAL aspect.
---
I am the cheese. I am the best character on the show. I am better than both the salami and the bologna combined.
#4DwzLITHUANIAPosted 11/15/2012 8:17:01 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#512ehstevePosted 11/15/2012 8:20:49 AM
I didn't find 4 had an abundance of ammo drops...

If it's your first ever play of it, it is pretty survival based, but once you know treasure locations, that the bottle caps can net you huge cash, what are the best weapons (so as to not waste money buying the wrong ones or upgrading the weak ones), that certain weapons won't get much in terms of ammo drops, THEN the game is cake. But my first time playing I was ****ed, Got that TMP and blazed through ammo like no ones business. Bought every new weapon that popped up, upgraded whatever and whenever I could, screwing myself over cash-wise for when I DID need the increased inventory.

Whatever, I loved 5 and 6 as well, also 1, 3, and to an extent 0 and the Chronicles. Also ORC.
---
http://s1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee424/ehsteve12/
My Legend of Zelda Collection - Last update Nov. 1/12
#6GreatJallopi(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2012 8:22:41 AM
DwzLITHUANIA posted...
Okay, ramp up the difficulty and then tell me you have an abundance of ammo :) It doesn't matter if there's tons of ammo, it's the FEEL of first seing them you're like "oh sh**"

And especially when you meet that first reanimator in 4 and you still don't have the thermo scope and have no clue how to kill it, wish you would find that scope much later and could just avoid them more but it was still pretty unnerving.

Well obviously on professional they kill the ammo count, but that's not the point. If we're going on first impressions of enemies, then we're going on first impressions of gameplay as well, and professional wasn't available from the start back in 4.

By the end of 4, nothing really even poses a sizable threat to you, because your arsenal increases tenfold with enemy difficulty. In the originals you always got a new weapon that would totally decimate zombies, but would merely give you an advantage against later foes.
---
#7GreatJallopi(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2012 8:24:22 AM
12ehsteve posted...

If it's your first ever play of it, it is pretty survival based, but once you know treasure locations, that the bottle caps can net you huge cash, what are the best weapons (so as to not waste money buying the wrong ones or upgrading the weak ones), that certain weapons won't get much in terms of ammo drops, THEN the game is cake. But my first time playing I was ****ed, Got that TMP and blazed through ammo like no ones business. Bought every new weapon that popped up, upgraded whatever and whenever I could, screwing myself over cash-wise for when I DID need the increased inventory.

Whatever, I loved 5 and 6 as well, also 1, 3, and to an extent 0 and the Chronicles. Also ORC.

Well, trust me, I've enjoyed every Resident Evil game (except Gaiden because I haven't even played it). I even liked Survivor and Dead Aim. I just don't like when people pretend the direction didn't change with 4.
---
#8blazinapplePosted 11/15/2012 9:25:51 AM
GreatJallopi posted...
12ehsteve posted...

Well, trust me, I've enjoyed every Resident Evil game (except Gaiden because I haven't even played it). I even liked Survivor and Dead Aim. I just don't like when people pretend the direction didn't change with 4.

i dont know who is pretending the combat didnt get more action based.... but they added great elements that were stripped in re6.... puzzles, campaign unlockables like costumes an guns, creepy *** music, the store, upgradable weapons, THE SUITCASE ! ! ! ! !, a sherry who cant fight just throw lamps (lmao so lame), but a lil scary and a few other things.

to say ppl who defend RE4 dont think the series was taking a different direction is blind ignorance on your part, but im sure there are alot of ppl who think the series didnt.

RE4 was the best of both worlds, action-survival horror with a terrific storage and shop system with tons of other great design choices.

RE6 at best is a mediocre action fest.
---
vote for pedro
#9Rob_IndahoodPosted 11/15/2012 10:18:24 AM(edited)
You want to talk about a game that throws ammo and herbs at you like Mardis Gras beads? Code Veronica. I had more supplies than I knew what to do with. Ran around the last part of the game with my shotty out because I had so much damn ammo to burn through. Not to mention how awesome the knife was in that game, which saved even MORE ammo.
---
GT: Warhound07
#10blazinapplePosted 11/15/2012 10:27:54 AM
Rob_Indahood posted...
You want to talk about a game that throws ammo and herbs at you like Mardis Gras beads? Code Veronica. I had more supplies than I knew what to do with. Ran around the last part of the game with my shotty out because I had so much damn ammo to burn through. Not to mention how awesome the knife was in that game, which saved even MORE ammo.

you know, i never used the knife in code veronice due to all that ammo lolol

i think ill go back and knife some ppl now lolol
---
vote for pedro