The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

I wanted to like this game.

#1railcsPosted 1/7/2013 3:18:41 PM(edited)
First and foremost this is my opinion. I bought the game and I'm allowed my opinion. Don't agree, that's fine. You don't have to agree with me, just be respectful.

Second, I realize i'm late to the show. This came out a long time ago. I've had it sitting in my pile of games to play for awhile now. I have too many games to play.

I haven't died so many times to cheap game mechanics in a long long time. I love dark souls. I play it to death. (Still!) That game is fair. This game is beyond cheap. I know eventually I can get skills to make the game trivial but I have to suffer through it "the right way" to get there.

I'm making myself suffer through the game, which there is way too much of, because I bought it. This is the first time I can honestly say this about an RE game. Hell I enjoyed RE:5!

Dislikes:
- Qte's. Jesus, I don't mind a few qte's but this game might as well be called RE: qte's.
- Cheap deaths. Everything in this game hits like two trucks connected to a whale. One zombie grab on normal can take enormous amounts of health even if your fast on the qte. Add to that at least a few inert zombies only activate after a cheap grab which is undodgeable and you get frustration. Some qte's if failed the first time are flat out deaths.
- Not RE anymore. There's not even an attempt to scare in this game. Transforming mobs have been seen before in 4 and 5. This is a lite tactical shooter with some horror elements. If you could even call them that. There are much much better tactical shooters. With zombies in them even!
- The story is unbelievably fragmented. They try to come at it from four perspectives and all it does is make it a jumbled mess.

-The enemies are interesting in design.
-The weapons.

I wanted the reviews to be wrong but I can't help but agree with them. After a game like RE:Revelations this game is an embarrassment. The first RE I can say I actually hate. And I feel odd even saying it. I really wanted to like it.
---
Most people don't care about other points of view unless it coincides with their own. Nature of man I assume.~Me
#2mourn123Posted 1/7/2013 3:24:39 PM
After putting almost 100 hours into it (mostly in Mercenaries, the best part of it and actually one of the best co-op modes I've ever played) I have to agree. My fiancee and I did everything we could to try and like it as much as 4 and 5 (we loved playing through 5 together) but everything you say is spot on. The campaigns just have too many garbage insta-deaths and in the end the story just doesn't work on anything but the most basic of levels.

It's a beautiful game at times and it really does some great things. Technically speaking it is amazing the different about of things you do in each of the campaigns, but it just is a jack of all trades and master of none.

I posted a fair amount on this board but we've officially retired from 6. Resident Evil 5 was really fun and even on professional there were very few deaths that wern't our fault. Resident Evil 6 just missed the mark on everything that 5 did right even with it's slower methodical style.
#3theos666Posted 1/7/2013 3:28:04 PM
They are not really QTEs when you get grabbed by a zombie and need to rotate the analog sticks to escape. Every RE game had these. They just didn't pop up on screen to tell you what to do. A QTE to escape would be X..B... A...

A tip for you, rotate both sticks when escaping.
---
Rule 2, ignore rule 1.
#4Dave_GahanPosted 1/7/2013 3:28:11 PM
Agreed. Easily the worst in the series.
---
2012 AFC SOUTH DIVISION CHAMPIONS
HOUSTON TEXANS: (12-4)
#5SonyHoundDawgPosted 1/7/2013 3:29:16 PM
I'm kinda wondering what campaign you played first.

I was a bit worried about QTE's to after reading reviews but IMO there are completely exageratted. I dont mind have to rotate my joystick to escape a zombie grabbing me or roatate a lever. I was more worried about long QTE cutscenes like in RE5 with the motor cycle zombies or something like that. Hell RE5 had more wierd button pressed to dodge big boss attackes then RE6 does. To me, it feels like RE6 has less cinmatic QTE which I like better.

I dont really understand whats cheap in this game at all. I only had one time in the game where I thought things were cheap and that was the last boss in chris campaign. I had sometimes where h'e knock me down and I'd get up, and he's instantly knock me down about 2 more times before I could run away enough.

Anyways, RE hasnt really been survial horror for a long time now. RE4 and 5, were a lot more actiony then previous, RE6 just completes the change. I dont feel RE6 is a total FPS because ammo is still kinda scarce if your wasteful. I am enjoying the game, I still got a campaign to go and am having great fun with it. I will admit, I do wish most of the game was more like Leons chapeters 1-3, but its still a good time and killing zombies is fun.
#6Rock_Lee77Posted 1/7/2013 3:33:41 PM
SonyHoundDawg posted...
I'm kinda wondering what campaign you played first.

I was a bit worried about QTE's to after reading reviews but IMO there are completely exageratted. I dont mind have to rotate my joystick to escape a zombie grabbing me or roatate a lever. I was more worried about long QTE cutscenes like in RE5 with the motor cycle zombies or something like that. Hell RE5 had more wierd button pressed to dodge big boss attackes then RE6 does. To me, it feels like RE6 has less cinmatic QTE which I like better.

I dont really understand whats cheap in this game at all. I only had one time in the game where I thought things were cheap and that was the last boss in chris campaign. I had sometimes where h'e knock me down and I'd get up, and he's instantly knock me down about 2 more times before I could run away enough.

Anyways, RE hasnt really been survial horror for a long time now. RE4 and 5, were a lot more actiony then previous, RE6 just completes the change. I dont feel RE6 is a total FPS because ammo is still kinda scarce if your wasteful. I am enjoying the game, I still got a campaign to go and am having great fun with it. I will admit, I do wish most of the game was more like Leons chapeters 1-3, but its still a good time and killing zombies is fun.

^ I fully agree with you. I too don't get all the hate with the QTE's in this game. If anything it keeps you alert and more immersed with what's going on.
#7railcs(Topic Creator)Posted 1/7/2013 3:46:36 PM
I've played all of Leon's. I'm on the last chapter of Chris' and I've done the full first chapter of Ada's.

I just don't like any of it. It's out of sheer will I keep playing this game.

And it's somewhat right not all of them are considered qte's. But Some of it is just annoying and boring. Oh no the bridge gave out...better waggle the joy sticks back and forth. Oh no the stairs gave out...better...well, you get the idea. the problem is it's everywhere. I spend as much time shooting as I do with either qte's or waggling sticks that my hate for it is immaculate.
---
Most people don't care about other points of view unless it coincides with their own. Nature of man I assume.~Me
#8railcs(Topic Creator)Posted 1/7/2013 4:08:02 PM
One last thing to throw out there, that to me, seemed bizarre.

On normal difficulty a zombie can grab me and take up to three of the six health cubes I have away. Yet, A J'avo can unload a machine gun into my face and be lucky to take a whole cube away. Does that make any sense to anyone?

If this tells me anything it's that zombies/j'avos shouldn't use guns. I'm bullet proof, not fist proof. <chuckles>
---
#9SonyHoundDawgPosted 1/7/2013 4:37:45 PM
That always did bother me. I was suprised playing Leons campaign the first time and getting grabbed and being like damn.

I guess its to try and balance hand to hand. Its easy to run up to a zombie and start beating on them, but if you mess up and get hurt hard.

With the Javo, it is possible to get hit my many bullets on your way resulting in just as much damage, but once you get there its pretty easy to pwn them.
#10SolidStryderPosted 1/7/2013 7:13:25 PM
Dave_Gahan posted...
I have 2 friends!

No.

On topic, I Probably died more during Chris' campaign than any other. No clue what your talking about with the QTEs, I figured they must have all been in Jake or Leons campaigns, beat them and really didn't understand all the hate for QTEs, there weren't that many lol. As far as scare factor goes that's been gone since RE4 hit and decided we'd be better off with an abundance of ammo lol. RE6 is basically the previous 2 installations, except with much better gameplay IMO. So glad they got rid of the tank controls lol