So what needs to be done to make the next Resident Evil great?

#11railcsPosted 1/8/2013 1:54:30 AM(edited)
Use RE:6 for the controls.
Use RE:4, and revelations for ideas on set pieces. Isolation creates tension.
Use RE:1, remake, revelations, and zero for ideas on creating tension.

RE:6 has no tension of any kind. I'm surrounded by too many people. This is especially bad in Chris' campaign.

I would love a game on consoles like revelations. (Yes I know it will probably be ported.) A new one that's just as good.
---
Most people don't care about other points of view unless it coincides with their own. Nature of man I assume.~Me
#12Infectedglore2Posted 1/8/2013 2:04:27 AM
SolidStryder posted...
JascoD posted...
SolidStryder posted...
RE2LeonS posted...
Final720 posted...
I think your wrong about them ditching everything and i think they should have a story with every character in it and have every weapon in it and make another great story like this one in resident evil 6

Doesn't know when to use "your" vs. "you're" and thinks RE6 had a great story....boy I sure hope you're not our future.

I know right, RE had a great story, Jill was the master of unlocking. They should go back to RE-CV formula, those were great examples of story telling that can't be summarized up as

1.) What's going on? Zombies!

2.) Must escape from (insert central location)

3.) Giant monster antagonist

4.) (Cheesy music) It's not over! Now we stop UMBRELLA!

5..) Credits

I also lol'd at the go back and take a look at RE4 reply. It's RE6 with worse controls and more ammo.

Wow. Im impressed. You really busted a vein thinking when you wrote this.

Not at all. Some people just have huge learning disabilities, so life is pretty confusing for them.

Ignore them. JascoD and especially ReleonS are huge trolls.
#13DegalonPosted 1/8/2013 2:53:02 AM(edited)
1) Claire wouldn't be so "young and new" anymore by the time they brought her back. Mid 30s, around there. Sherry is the "young and new" girl now. Otherwise they'd just make another "one game only then forget about them" like Sheva, Helena, and Piers to fill in the "young new person" quota. At least Sherry is actually from previous games.

2) Weapons are tricky. For actual military like Chris, or Federal agents like Sherry and Leon, or a full on mercenary like Jake, it makes sense for them to have access to a diverse set of military grade munitions. But for actual civilians (Maybe bring back an Outbreak character like Cindy or Jim?) yeah, doesn't make much sense.
Also, in terms of "only bring along a few weapons", they'd need to do it Outbreak style, where there ALSO isn't anywhere to store gear, you only get what you can carry with/on you. I do agree its silly to have the ENTIRE repertoire of weapons carried around at all times.

Actually, there we go. Do inventory Outbreak style, where you only start with something your character would sensibly have, and can only pick up a few things, aka, things your character could actually carry. That way you'd need to choose if you want to pick up that assault rifle with scarce ammo, or stick to your trusty pistol with ammo everywhere, for example.

3) No, Co-Op is needed. The original formula stagnated until outbreak, which was up to 4 players co-op, if i'm not mistaken. And that was amazing. Then RE4 was bland as they come, but RE5 added co-op which made it fun again. The ability to play solo (Lone Wolf Mode, as it was in Outbreak) should be the alternate mode.

4) Zombies are the only reason worth playing Resident Evil. The plaga enemies from Re4 and RE5 were just regular people you were fighting, and thats boring as heck, I play Resident Evil to fight ZOMBIES and MONSTERS. Leon's campaign was the best almost solely because they were zombies and monsters, while in Jakes and Chris' campaigns, it was just a generic shooter fight against human opponents (reactive mutations notwithstanding). Though like the first half of Leon's chapter five, as well as the first chapter, its ATMOSPHERE that makes zombies work.

I still firmly believe they should return to the classic BOW's like Hunters, Lickers, and Tyrants. They are still out on the black market, if I recall. And they brought back lickers, if only briefly, in RE5, and hunters in revelations. And Tyrants (MUCH bigger and stronger) in the new CG movie. Operation Raccoon City made me realize how much more fun those are to fight than regular human enemies.

So really....what we need is an Outbreak file #3, since thats the only thing I can think of that would fit all those requirements.

1) Regular civilians, so no military arsenals.
2) inventory systems based around scavenging only what you can carry with you, so no hammerspace infinite inventories.
3) Proper zombies, BOWs, and atmosphere.

The only real question is if it should use the classic fixed camera angles, or stick to the current over the shoulder mechanic. IF they go over the shoulder, they need to work on some Dead Space level scare tactics. Lost In Nightmares was a step in the right direction for that.
#14uchiha_lordPosted 1/8/2013 9:03:15 AM
It would be cool to see an Outbreak#3 taking place in the same time as RE6 In china. It would just be with the casual people trying to leave the city.
---
From now on, i alone will stand at the top ~Aizen
#15RE2LeonSPosted 1/8/2013 12:03:37 PM
Infectedglore2 posted...
SolidStryder posted...
JascoD posted...
SolidStryder posted...
RE2LeonS posted...

Doesn't know when to use "your" vs. "you're" and thinks RE6 had a great story....boy I sure hope you're not our future.

I know right, RE had a great story, Jill was the master of unlocking. They should go back to RE-CV formula, those were great examples of story telling that can't be summarized up as

1.) What's going on? Zombies!

2.) Must escape from (insert central location)

3.) Giant monster antagonist

4.) (Cheesy music) It's not over! Now we stop UMBRELLA!

5..) Credits

I also lol'd at the go back and take a look at RE4 reply. It's RE6 with worse controls and more ammo.

Wow. Im impressed. You really busted a vein thinking when you wrote this.

Not at all. Some people just have huge learning disabilities, so life is pretty confusing for them.

Ignore them. JascoD and especially ReleonS are huge trolls.

Way to butcher my user name. I think we found your 'learning disabilities' person, SolidStryder. When exactly did I ever say the previous Resident Evil's had a better story? Your logic and stupidity at attempting to create an argument with me are severely flawed. Try thinking next time, thanks.
---
My views on DLC, if it takes longer for me to work to pay for it than actually play it, it's not worth it. Don't buy Capcom games! GamerTag - RE2LeonS
#16BrownPack(Topic Creator)Posted 1/8/2013 1:00:53 PM
Degalon posted...
1) Claire wouldn't be so "young and new" anymore by the time they brought her back. Mid 30s, around there. Sherry is the "young and new" girl now. Otherwise they'd just make another "one game only then forget about them" like Sheva, Helena, and Piers to fill in the "young new person" quota. At least Sherry is actually from previous games.

The only reason I suggested Claire come back is because she's the only main RE character that I know of that hasn't had a huge display of athletic-ism that all of the characters have shown in RE5 and RE6. As each of the characters are in RE6, they are all highly nimble people that can easily maneuver around zombies. Not scary at all if you ask me. Even Sherry can hold her own easily, regardless of age. If she wasn't in RE6, then I'd completely agree with you.

2) Weapons are tricky. For actual military like Chris, or Federal agents like Sherry and Leon, or a full on mercenary like Jake, it makes sense for them to have access to a diverse set of military grade munitions. But for actual civilians (Maybe bring back an Outbreak character like Cindy or Jim?) yeah, doesn't make much sense.
Also, in terms of "only bring along a few weapons", they'd need to do it Outbreak style, where there ALSO isn't anywhere to store gear, you only get what you can carry with/on you. I do agree its silly to have the ENTIRE repertoire of weapons carried around at all times.

Then they need to remove characters that are of "special forces." Come on, putting people in with lots of experience shouldn't be scared. If they aren't scared, then neither are the people who will be playing the game. Vulnerable people need to be the characters once again. Seeing as how co-op will probably be here for good, I think storage should only be available at the end of each section. Maybe like how it's done in the Tom Clancy games.
#17BrownPack(Topic Creator)Posted 1/8/2013 1:00:57 PM
Actually, there we go. Do inventory Outbreak style, where you only start with something your character would sensibly have, and can only pick up a few things, aka, things your character could actually carry. That way you'd need to choose if you want to pick up that assault rifle with scarce ammo, or stick to your trusty pistol with ammo everywhere, for example.

I just would like to have it where an Assault rifle is something of huge value again. A pistol and shotgun are pretty much your go to weapons for most of the game.

3) No, Co-Op is needed. The original formula stagnated until outbreak, which was up to 4 players co-op, if i'm not mistaken. And that was amazing. Then RE4 was bland as they come, but RE5 added co-op which made it fun again. The ability to play solo (Lone Wolf Mode, as it was in Outbreak) should be the alternate mode.

How was RE4 bland? because it didn't have co op?

4) Zombies are the only reason worth playing Resident Evil. The plaga enemies from Re4 and RE5 were just regular people you were fighting, and thats boring as heck, I play Resident Evil to fight ZOMBIES and MONSTERS. Leon's campaign was the best almost solely because they were zombies and monsters, while in Jakes and Chris' campaigns, it was just a generic shooter fight against human opponents (reactive mutations notwithstanding). Though like the first half of Leon's chapter five, as well as the first chapter, its ATMOSPHERE that makes zombies work.

That's how it used to be. Considering how athletic the current characters are, putting them up against zombies is hardly scary. A new enemy needs to be reintroduced, or a new character that can't easily hold their own does. I'd say a new enemy that is similar to RE4's ganados and castle monks would be best. I'd find a game hugely scary if you were up against regular people who were just scary because of their thirst to kill you in some horrifying ways. The Dr. Salvador a.k.a. chainsaw man is an example of this. To this day that sound terrifies me.

I still firmly believe they should return to the classic BOW's like Hunters, Lickers, and Tyrants. They are still out on the black market, if I recall. And they brought back lickers, if only briefly, in RE5, and hunters in revelations. And Tyrants (MUCH bigger and stronger) in the new CG movie. Operation Raccoon City made me realize how much more fun those are to fight than regular human enemies.

ORC fun? wat.

1) Regular civilians, so no military arsenals.
2) inventory systems based around scavenging only what you can carry with you, so no hammerspace infinite inventories.
3) Proper zombies, BOWs, and atmosphere.

Agreed. For zombies to work, regular civilians need to be in. If special forces will be in, then the enemies need to be upped as well.

The only real question is if it should use the classic fixed camera angles, or stick to the current over the shoulder mechanic. IF they go over the shoulder, they need to work on some Dead Space level scare tactics. Lost In Nightmares was a step in the right direction for that.

Fixed camera angles are a thing of the past. I did like them, don't get me wrong, but they're just something that shouldn't be returned to because you'd be limiting the gameplay. Lost in Nightmares did it well, I'll agree. There was a good amount of scares in that. Not too much to scare casuals away, but enough to keep many staying.
#18Final720Posted 1/8/2013 2:25:00 PM(edited)
I like all the storeys of all the resident evils i played and anyway what i mean by all the characters is like having a story that brings all the characters together facing one common goal and giving you the chance to play as any of the characters and giving a chance for multiply endings and what i mean by every weapon is each character could have there own set of weapons that the others cant come across and they could each have different amounts of inventory space to make the game more challenging and they could also have two different modes to choose between classic and modern gameplay
---
sorry if anything is misspelled and thanks in advance
506912576090 trainer name Chris pokemon Pearl -http://www.webjam.com/pokemon_masters_union/--
#19DegalonPosted 1/8/2013 2:50:00 PM(edited)
To be honest, though, they could keep the special forces and their upped mobility....if they just upped the number of zombies to Dead Rising levels. Problem solved.

But "regular people" enemies like Ganado, just aren't scary.

The only way "regular people" get scary is in a game like Condemned: Criminal Origins. (Not the second one, screw that game).

Also, on RE4, it sucked because it dropped all the scariness in favor of trying to be an action game, but it completely failed at that because it still had insanely clunky controls, so it was neither a good horror game, nor a good action game.
---
GT/PSN: DEGALON
MK: Sheeva/Mileena, SSF4: Guile, BB: Makoto, DOA4: Leon, SC4: Astaroth, SF3: Alex, AH3: Zenia Valov, Tekken: Bryan Fury, VF: Vanessa
#20SolidStryderPosted 1/8/2013 3:02:32 PM(edited)
You didn't say much of anything, just another failure of a post with absolutely no logic behind it, simply an attack, Leon. A good example of stupidity would be on display if you tried, though.

Storywise, it destroys any of the previous REs. Gameplay does as well. RE4 was the same terrible control scheme without the cheap scares, as well as the first introduction of ammo abundance and encouraging players to lolkill as many things as possible rather than the ammo conservation and selective fighting present in the previous titles. 6 improves on everything 4 created.

Now try again. Do you even lift, bro?