Things you miss most from the series..

#1Weems2kPosted 1/20/2013 1:52:01 PM(edited)
Considering that the bad reviews of this game mostly revolves around it not being like Resident Evil anymore, I'd thought I think about some of things that I miss from the old school RE that isn't in any of the newer games anymore. Surprisingly, the more I played this game, the more I started liking it, even with the bad camera controls at times. Maybe because I was forgetting that this was Resident Evil, and started playing it like any other action shooter.

So here are a few things I miss that will hopefully get put back in the next RE.

1. Creepy Atmosphere - The first couple games had that creepy feel about it. Never knowing what was around the corner, or what'll be waiting for you after entering a door. With this being more action shooter, and in daytime, we lose that feeling. Leon's campaign is prolly the closest this comes too, but not by much.

2. Tyrant Bosses - Maybe with all the advancements with the virus's, these guys have become obsolete, but damn, they were fun, and challenging to fight. I'll also throw in the Hunters too. Haven't seen them since Code Veronica.

3. Survival Horror - This kinda goes along with the creepy atmosphere, but what made RE so popular was the fact that you only had a select amount of ammo, and not knowing what was coming next. Being more action, very rarely do you ever run out of ammo. Except maybe on Professional, which is still pretty hard to do.

These are just a few of things I miss. I'm sure there's prolly more.
---
Sorry, bout your damn luck!!!
#2Ertrick36Posted 1/20/2013 4:39:28 PM
I want them to make the characters have some goddamn realism and likeness to them. Nowadays, they are either action heroes from Hollywood, emotionless secret agents, or otherwise unlikeable to me. This is mainly the fault of character development; all the recurring characters have shed their personalities and emotions in Raccoon City. Because they had such a horrifying experience in that place, they are now hardened and fear nothing. It seems to me that Capcom doesn't know how to make a character like that dynamic. To be fair, I have never played Resident Evil 6, but I have seen some demo with Leon in it; he's the same, cool-headed action hero he was in Resident Evil 4. It frustrates me that the characters we've grown so fond of have all of a sudden turned into cold-hearted bastards, and it's even worse that they throw in supernatural/already hardened newcomers. If there is any chance of me liking the next RE game, they better either introduce a whole new cast or bring in some of the long-lost characters, like Jill or Claire (or possibly Berry, though he'd be pretty damn old at this point).

Aside from that, I have to agree with the list you put up. No longer does RE scare me out of my wits and sometimes into a GameFAQs FAQ, if I have enough trouble and frustration. While I wouldn't mind not seeing some of the classic puzzles, I would most certainly like to see a return to the classic procurement-on-sight system of obtaining weapons/items/upgrades. They can still have an upgrade system and not have either a merchant or a startup upgrade menu; in RE2, you could pick up weapon mods from drawers and use them on your weapons on the spot. And making the weapons so that they were not overpowered and killed everything in one or two shots would be nice too; I had trouble believing that a compact 9mm handgun that is capable of firing around 3 rounds per second was able to take one of those ganado guys in one shot. Maybe that's just me, though...
---
What determines whether a game is good is your experience every time you play the game, not the opinions of other people (unless you let it do so).
#3Guirec730Posted 1/20/2013 8:21:24 PM
Zombie monkeys.
---
Tell them to send the next most dangerous.
#4AShockCipherPosted 1/20/2013 10:12:57 PM
Sensible game design. Seriously, RE6 was all over the place. I appreciate the scope of the game itself, but some parts are just outright ridiculous.
---
MFW I passed SS
http://aftershockcipher.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=scraps#/d4hajdo
#5SolidStryderPosted 1/21/2013 2:26:06 AM
Ertrick36 posted...
I want them to make the characters have some goddamn realism and likeness to them. Nowadays, they are either action heroes from Hollywood, emotionless secret agents, or otherwise unlikeable to me. This is mainly the fault of character development; all the recurring characters have shed their personalities and emotions in Raccoon City. Because they had such a horrifying experience in that place, they are now hardened and fear nothing. It seems to me that Capcom doesn't know how to make a character like that dynamic. To be fair, I have never played Resident Evil 6, but I have seen some demo with Leon in it; he's the same, cool-headed action hero he was in Resident Evil 4. It frustrates me that the characters we've grown so fond of have all of a sudden turned into cold-hearted bastards, and it's even worse that they throw in supernatural/already hardened newcomers. If there is any chance of me liking the next RE game, they better either introduce a whole new cast or bring in some of the long-lost characters, like Jill or Claire (or possibly Berry, though he'd be pretty damn old at this point).

Aside from that, I have to agree with the list you put up. No longer does RE scare me out of my wits and sometimes into a GameFAQs FAQ, if I have enough trouble and frustration. While I wouldn't mind not seeing some of the classic puzzles, I would most certainly like to see a return to the classic procurement-on-sight system of obtaining weapons/items/upgrades. They can still have an upgrade system and not have either a merchant or a startup upgrade menu; in RE2, you could pick up weapon mods from drawers and use them on your weapons on the spot. And making the weapons so that they were not overpowered and killed everything in one or two shots would be nice too; I had trouble believing that a compact 9mm handgun that is capable of firing around 3 rounds per second was able to take one of those ganado guys in one shot. Maybe that's just me, though...

I actually agree with most of what you said, come on dude, you're complaining that they've gone from cheesy B movie actors to Hollywood superstars lol.

But I would definitely like to see the story return to a survival approach. The first thing about RE4 that hit me in the face was how much ammo was thrown your way and it seemed like I was encourage to shoot everything as much as possible. Story and character development improved a lot more in the last few games, IMO, at the cost of atmosphere. That was created by the fact that I knew there were enemies around, but I also knew how much ammo I had, and I may or may not find more laying around in the bear future. Do I use it to so I don't have to worry about this area for now, or save it for when I move on?
#6ClassicAntixPosted 1/21/2013 7:08:46 AM
resident evil may have been creepy when you were 10, but you arent 10 anymore. though your whiny post makes me think otherwise.

i never found resident evil games creepy or scary. but then again i was older when resident evil came out.

as far as "not knowing whats gona happen" every game is like that when you first play it. sure you dont know exactly whats gona happen, but this is resident evil 6. (not 1) so you can have a good idea about whats gona happen. zombies and stuff will come for you.

the fixed camera let you see everything around you, in 3rd person u cant see behind you, giving the newer RE more of an edge when it comes to danger.

ammo was never an issue in any resident evil game. there was always an abundance of it. if you were short on ammo in a game where u had to aim in a 2d world, then you are just bad at games. try not missing and try searching more. ammo is everywhere in all resident evils. ironically, re6 was the first re game i actually ran out of ammo for my guns. even with enemies dropping it!

verdict: all re games are the same. switching from fixed to 3rd person doesnt mean anything. you still have to survive. you still have to fight zombies. and all re games are action games. grow up.
#7SolidStryderPosted 1/21/2013 8:16:43 AM
ClassicAntix posted...
resident evil may have been creepy when you were 10, but you arent 10 anymore. though your whiny post makes me think otherwise.

i never found resident evil games creepy or scary. but then again i was older when resident evil came out.

as far as "not knowing whats gona happen" every game is like that when you first play it. sure you dont know exactly whats gona happen, but this is resident evil 6. (not 1) so you can have a good idea about whats gona happen. zombies and stuff will come for you.

the fixed camera let you see everything around you, in 3rd person u cant see behind you, giving the newer RE more of an edge when it comes to danger.

ammo was never an issue in any resident evil game. there was always an abundance of it. if you were short on ammo in a game where u had to aim in a 2d world, then you are just bad at games. try not missing and try searching more. ammo is everywhere in all resident evils. ironically, re6 was the first re game i actually ran out of ammo for my guns. even with enemies dropping it!

verdict: all re games are the same. switching from fixed to 3rd person doesnt mean anything. you still have to survive. you still have to fight zombies. and all re games are action games. grow up.

Easy mode is fun.
#8Krumpus299Posted 1/21/2013 9:12:18 AM
Piers
---
- XBL Gamertag: Scotti15, Deadinmysights3
#9tdmj0226Posted 1/21/2013 6:22:05 PM
ClassicAntix posted...
ammo was never an issue in any resident evil game. there was always an abundance of it.

Thank you.
#10masked_yazooPosted 1/21/2013 8:08:02 PM
Crappy voice acting and lame one liners.
---
"Remember, kids...Chu-Chu died for your sins!"