Surviving seven minutes while fighting zombies. Without touching the controller.

#1Solis_InvictusPosted 1/27/2013 8:44:28 PM
So I'm in Leon's chapter 3. I'm reading the skill FAQ on my computer and was curious to see how long my character would last in the middle of a group of zombies without me to control him. I've got the rescue health boost skill equipped.

And the result is the game plays itself for about seven minutes until Leon finally kicked the bucket. I love how there are enough zombies and Helena sucks enough (except as a medic) to actually win the fight in less than seven minutes. Resident Evil 4, while still fairly action-heavy, actually had suspense in some places because you didn't know where the next zombie was hiding, and getting ambushed and losing half your health actually mattered. In this game it is obvious where the zombies are - everywhere. No surprises, zombies will crawl out of every vent and crevice in huge, boring waves.

For a while, I could hear Helena and the zombies beating each other up. How long does this fight last if I join the fray? Less than seven minutes but still way too long, like every other fight in this goddamn game. Looking at Leon, I can't help but remember when doing well in a fight actually mattered. No infinite health refills. On the other hand, winning a fight actually mattered too - you got money that you could spend on a pretty wide variety of upgrades, and no matter how well you did you'd never be able to upgrade everything in one playthrough.

Speaking of playthroughs, there's no point in trying to conserve anything anymore either. I have more than I'll ever be able to use, even without that ridiculous healing ability. I can't even store or sell it, which is something even RE5 has over this game.

What on earth was Capcom thinking? Everybody loved RE4, and not so much with RE5. So they said "You know those changes that we made that nobody liked? Let's do even more!" I'm really glad I read the reviews and only rented this disappointing piece of junk.
#2tdmj0226Posted 1/27/2013 10:34:25 PM
Yes......

What WERE they thinking..........
#3burnoutguy314Posted 1/28/2013 12:07:04 AM
Don't mold 5 into this. RE6 is in a league of its own. RE5 at least retained RE4's principles.
---
REALDEMO
#4paranoidxePosted 1/28/2013 12:53:42 AM
Of all the things people have complained about in this game this is the best you could come up with? Turn off the medic skill if it bothers you so much. I personally would find it annoying to have to compete for the kills if the AI of my partner was extremely aggressive. Which you can actually increase if you tell your partner to 'move in'

Have you even played the game? You cant possibly unlock all the skills in one playthrough . The game has excellent replay value (such as web badges, S ranks, mercs, predator, onslaught, skill points in every mode though they changed this with the last patch) and the action is fun.

Weakest parts in the game is the lack of a dark mysterious story, missing weapon upgrades, and a lack of weapon availability to every character.

I swear Capcom has the biggest complainers for fans. DmC and the new Dante and RE6 'too much action'...both games which are extremely fun to play (which personally is the most important aspect of a game).

I understand the game isnt perfect but seems to me you're being a bit silly.
#5Tha_OnePosted 1/29/2013 9:35:43 AM
Wesker would be proud.
---
E.... Not just a vowel, but almost promises you'll get laid by a lady at the club. Pooh Da Stryker
#6SolidStryderPosted 1/29/2013 11:17:38 AM
burnoutguy314 posted...
Don't mold 5 into this. RE6 is in a league of its own. RE5 at least retained RE4's principles.

What principles? Terrible gameplay, actionfest and unlimited ammo? RE6 has all of that, except the camera and gameplay are much better. 4 was a travesty when it released, and completely stripped the RE series of the elements it was built around.

Survival horror? Here, have a bunch of ammo.

Suspense? Stop worrying and reload.

Ammo conservation? Kill everything you ever see with the ammo I gave you!

I'm not even going to get into the fact that the story basically starts off with "Hey Leon, welcome to Spain. Oh man, that was crazy how sometime between CV and now umbrella was completely wiped out. Man what a story that must have been, but that's ancient history. You'll probably see BOWs that are somehow completely different and more advanced than before, you should shoot them."
#7DrakoVongola1Posted 1/29/2013 2:46:47 PM
SolidStryder posted...
burnoutguy314 posted...

What principles? Terrible gameplay, actionfest and unlimited ammo? RE6 has all of that, except the camera and gameplay are much better. 4 was a travesty when it released, and completely stripped the RE series of the elements it was built around.

Survival horror? Here, have a bunch of ammo. You obviously never played RE3 if you think RE4 started that, and if you did you must have sucked

Suspense? Stop worrying and reload. This doesn't even make sense

Ammo conservation? Kill everything you ever see with the ammo I gave you! This is a matter of opinion, I personally don't mind it because even with enemies dropping ammo you could still run out, they didn't drop it nearly as much as they do now

I'm not even going to get into the fact that the story basically starts off with "Hey Leon, welcome to Spain. Oh man, that was crazy how sometime between CV and now umbrella was completely wiped out. Man what a story that must have been, but that's ancient history. You'll probably see BOWs that are somehow completely different and more advanced than before, you should shoot them." Since when did Resident Evil ever have a good story?

---
I hate religion, but I love Jesus.
Official leader of the Illuminati.
#8LeeWoojinPosted 1/29/2013 3:22:18 PM
Play No Hope mode. Find your own challenges. If you still hate it, sell it and be done with the pain it's causing you.
#9SolidStryderPosted 1/29/2013 6:27:36 PM
DrakoVongola1 posted...
SolidStryder posted...
burnoutguy314 posted...

Survival horror? Here, have a bunch of ammo. You obviously never played RE3 if you think RE4 started that, and if you did you must have sucked

Suspense? Stop worrying and reload. This doesn't even make sense

Ammo conservation? Kill everything you ever see with the ammo I gave you! This is a matter of opinion, I personally don't mind it because even with enemies dropping ammo you could still run out, they didn't drop it nearly as much as they do now

I'm not even going to get into the fact that the story basically starts off with "Hey Leon, welcome to Spain. Oh man, that was crazy how sometime between CV and now umbrella was completely wiped out. Man what a story that must have been, but that's ancient history. You'll probably see BOWs that are somehow completely different and more advanced than before, you should shoot them." Since when did Resident Evil ever have a good story?

RE3 atleast attempted to keep the series someday familiar. Try again.

Never once in RE4 did you have to worry about running out of ammo, the game practically encouraged you to fight. Old REs you couldn't just walk around a corner and start unloading, they atleast forced you to think before shooting.

Ammo abundance is not a matter of opinion. You'd have to be pretty terrible to run out of ammo in 4, or doing it on purpose. The game went out of it's way to make sure you were always stocked.

And finally, the story has always been a cheesefest. RE4 just threw out anything that was established in the previous games by quickly writing off the company that pretty much supplied the main motivation for any sequels, offering no type of climax in regards company that served as the backroubd to every antagonist and was a universal name in every game to date. They just disappeared, and Leon is now a super agent with never ending one liners doing battle with spaniards.

It was a fun game, but nothing close to what I was expecting after after REmake. Why they chose to keep the terrible tank controls while introducing a new camera system and emphasis on on combat, I have no idea.
#10teehee23Posted 1/29/2013 7:55:46 PM
Solis_Invictus posted...
So I'm in Leon's chapter 3. I'm reading the skill FAQ on my computer and was curious to see how long my character would last in the middle of a group of zombies without me to control him. I've got the rescue health boost skill equipped.

And the result is the game plays itself for about seven minutes until Leon finally kicked the bucket. I love how there are enough zombies and Helena sucks enough (except as a medic) to actually win the fight in less than seven minutes. Resident Evil 4, while still fairly action-heavy, actually had suspense in some places because you didn't know where the next zombie was hiding, and getting ambushed and losing half your health actually mattered. In this game it is obvious where the zombies are - everywhere. No surprises, zombies will crawl out of every vent and crevice in huge, boring waves.

For a while, I could hear Helena and the zombies beating each other up. How long does this fight last if I join the fray? Less than seven minutes but still way too long, like every other fight in this goddamn game. Looking at Leon, I can't help but remember when doing well in a fight actually mattered. No infinite health refills. On the other hand, winning a fight actually mattered too - you got money that you could spend on a pretty wide variety of upgrades, and no matter how well you did you'd never be able to upgrade everything in one playthrough.

Speaking of playthroughs, there's no point in trying to conserve anything anymore either. I have more than I'll ever be able to use, even without that ridiculous healing ability. I can't even store or sell it, which is something even RE5 has over this game.

What on earth was Capcom thinking? Everybody loved RE4, and not so much with RE5. So they said "You know those changes that we made that nobody liked? Let's do even more!" I'm really glad I read the reviews and only rented this disappointing piece of junk.

I disagree to the maximum and re4 is a pos.
RE5 and RE6 are infinitely superior and I'm always right about these things.

You're welcome.
---
Don't hate us because we're beautiful...