Surviving seven minutes while fighting zombies. Without touching the controller.

#11Resident_Fan_21Posted 1/30/2013 12:01:37 AM
I feel the reason RE has shifted towards action while trying (not so well) to add horror elements, is because I haven't played REmake in a decade and there's a reason for this: it's boring. It's beautiful to look at, but it's boring. I know exactly where and when all the 'scares' are.

Plus Resident Evil was never scary to me to begin with and I am a huge fan. RE, RE2, RE3, REcv, REmake and RE0 all never scare me though they had their tense moments. It wasn't until Resident Evil 4 that I actually got scared. Between the grey eerie environments, haunting music, and creatures (Regenerators anyone??) that I really believed in its potential. RE5 definitely lost that step when 80% of it took place in the daytime, given a night time or overall darker tone that game could've been a lot better.

I agree that RE6 hasn't done much better but I've stopped b**ching about it that's for sure. Ranting on some forum about how a game continually strays from your ideals is a stupid waste of your own time. In my mind for a series to continue successfully it needs to grow and revolve if not at least try new things. RE6 tried a few new things and I respect that. Lets face it if RE6 still played like the older incarnations we'd all be b**ching about how boring and predictable it became after 2 play throughs.
---
every day forces me to add to the list of names of people who can kiss my @ss
#12Solis_Invictus(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 8:46:30 PM
RE6 is boring and predictable on the very first playthrough. Where are the monsters hiding? Everywhere. What's the most efficient way to kill them? Doesn't matter, you can have as much health as you like. RE4 wasn't really survival horror anymore, but it did have that hint of survival. Most importantly, RE4 and RE5 had up-gradable guns. That isn't really part of survival horror at all, but it made the games better. It did reward you for doing well, though - kill the bad guys without taking too much damage or wasting ammo and you'll have more cash to get a shiny new upgrade or two.

I'm not looking for some idealistic version of what survival horror should be. I want a game that 1)has a solid story, 2)has enjoyable fights, and 3)rewards me for killing stuff and lets me choose the reward. That's really all I need to be happy in life. I have simple needs. A lot of games that pull of two of those three really well (like 2 and 3 but not 1) can be pretty great. I know a lot of you guys are after something different, of course, but RE6 doesn't really do any of those things for me and RE4 did.
#13Mariofan15Posted 1/31/2013 9:01:01 PM
RE6 is boring and predictable on the very first playthrough. Where are the monsters hiding? Everywhere. What's the most efficient way to kill them? Doesn't matter, you can have as much health as you like. RE4 wasn't really survival horror anymore, but it did have that hint of survival. Most importantly, RE4 and RE5 had up-gradable guns. That isn't really part of survival horror at all, but it made the games better. It did reward you for doing well, though - kill the bad guys without taking too much damage or wasting ammo and you'll have more cash to get a shiny new upgrade or two.

I'm not looking for some idealistic version of what survival horror should be. I want a game that 1)has a solid story, 2)has enjoyable fights, and 3)rewards me for killing stuff and lets me choose the reward. That's really all I need to be happy in life. I have simple needs. A lot of games that pull of two of those three really well (like 2 and 3 but not 1) can be pretty great. I know a lot of you guys are after something different, of course, but RE6 doesn't really do any of those things for me and RE4 did.

Okay,then. Bye. Only on Leon's Campaign but 6 is allready proven to be surperior to 5.
---
Pokemon White 2 FC:4513-9468-5924
#14ZeeDoggePosted 2/1/2013 5:32:53 PM
Solis_Invictus posted...
So I'm in Leon's chapter 3. I'm reading the skill FAQ on my computer and was curious to see how long my character would last in the middle of a group of zombies without me to control him. I've got the rescue health boost skill equipped.

And the result is the game plays itself for about seven minutes until Leon finally kicked the bucket. I love how there are enough zombies and Helena sucks enough (except as a medic) to actually win the fight in less than seven minutes. Resident Evil 4, while still fairly action-heavy, actually had suspense in some places because you didn't know where the next zombie was hiding, and getting ambushed and losing half your health actually mattered. In this game it is obvious where the zombies are - everywhere. No surprises, zombies will crawl out of every vent and crevice in huge, boring waves.

For a while, I could hear Helena and the zombies beating each other up. How long does this fight last if I join the fray? Less than seven minutes but still way too long, like every other fight in this goddamn game. Looking at Leon, I can't help but remember when doing well in a fight actually mattered. No infinite health refills. On the other hand, winning a fight actually mattered too - you got money that you could spend on a pretty wide variety of upgrades, and no matter how well you did you'd never be able to upgrade everything in one playthrough.

Speaking of playthroughs, there's no point in trying to conserve anything anymore either. I have more than I'll ever be able to use, even without that ridiculous healing ability. I can't even store or sell it, which is something even RE5 has over this game.

What on earth was Capcom thinking? Everybody loved RE4, and not so much with RE5. So they said "You know those changes that we made that nobody liked? Let's do even more!" I'm really glad I read the reviews and only rented this disappointing piece of junk.

Did someone just play on Amateur and complain it was too easy? On pro a single zombie grab can drain almost all your health owo
#15DocBacon93Posted 2/2/2013 9:06:08 AM
"What principles? Terrible gameplay, actionfest and unlimited ammo?"

Resident Evil 4 had the same exact gameplay style as 5, the same amount of action, and unlimited ammo.

The only differences 5 brought was the atmosphere and the CO-OP. I don't see why everyone criticizes 5's gameplay when it plays EXACTLY LIKE 4