What exactly is wrong with the gameplay?

#1TGAkumaPosted 2/7/2013 2:33:27 AM
Lets not talk about story. Just gameplay. Why do people seem to hate it? This is a fun game to play. It plays basically the same as RE4 and 5 but with added moves and dodging. I dont get the hate at all. Seems like people just go with what all the professional reviews say. Gamespots review said there were alot of QTEs. Im just not seeing it. They were about the same as RE4 and 5. This game doesnt deserve a 4.5. The gameplay to me looks pretty smoothly animated compared to something like Mass Effect 3.

Now I get that this game is alot more action than previous games and I actually prefer the older RE games like RE2 and 3 because those are actually survival horror. RE6 is not survival horror but it still plays really well. So what exactly do people have against this game?
#2Triple-SwingPosted 2/7/2013 2:41:58 AM
I agree with you. The gamespot review was really off the mark IMO, and I'm still pretty satisfied with the gameplay.

Although I will agree it's not much of a horror, but it's a game, not a movie.

The only two things I didn't like about the gameplay were the inability to crouch out of cover and the health tablet system. Other than that, this is my favourite TPS to date.
#3sbn4Posted 2/7/2013 5:30:13 AM
Inconsistent, tedious, boring, and glitchy some times.

They tried to modernise the controls but it still feels outdated compared to other competent shooters.
---
"No man should fight any war but his own."
#4TGAkuma(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 9:02:39 AM
Ok so how is that different than alot of shooters? Cause I just dont see it. Aim and shoot things. If you think thats tedious and boring then alot of other shooters should be tedious and boring. All you do in Gears of war is stay behind cover and shoot your lancer till the locust die. You dont even have to aim since the enemies just take it and dont even attempt to move 90% of the time.

Im guessing youre saying that certain moves to pull off are inconsisent? Cause I havent found anything inconsistent. Shoot in the head, arm or leg to use a melee move like Jakes suplex or Chris' throw. They seem pretty consistant to me. I can see how people dont know how theyre pulling off some of those cool moves but they are consistent to pull off. If you meant something else then please explain.
#5Shadow DonPosted 2/7/2013 9:18:37 AM
It focused too much on shooter elements over the horror. In one campaign out of four you fight zombies and the other three you spend your time playing wack-a-mole with ak47 totting enemies as they hide behind cover. Its kind of hard to say a game is bad because of something like that if you review it by itself, but thats obviously where the backlash comes from.

As for the gameplay, i dont really agree with you saying the qtes were just as bad as 4. The amount of gimicks, set pieces and qtes in this game is incredible, especially in jake and sherrys campaign. Theres a turret section, the snow level, 2 stealth parts and the motorcycle chase. It felt like almost half that campaign was some kind of gimick instead of the core gameplay.
#6t7uyheoidfPosted 2/7/2013 10:34:44 AM
ya it was more of a shooter on most chapters. others were a little more....horror i guess and if you are talking about the actual controls they're awesome ;) at least better than 4 and 5 a little more free movement. ya know.
#7durangodanPosted 2/7/2013 6:59:59 PM
The gameplay has strayed too far away from 4 and 5. It is broken up by too many short cut scenes. When it actually lets you play for a while it's not so bad, but it's like Capcom thought it was a good idea to take control away from the player.

An example of this is at the start of Chapter 2 Ada's campaign. Starts with a cut scene, you then walk about 2 metres along a rooftop for another short cutscene. It doesn't sound like much, but the whole games is like this. It never really lets you settle in and play anything for any length of time. Compare it to the number of times you are interupted by a cut scene in any other RE game.

Always having to correct the camera is another mistake (which it looks like they've reversed in the Revelations port). There should definitely be an option to have the camera fixed behind you. Having a free camera works for most games, not this.

Hit detection is awful. Headshots come easy then hard - who knows.

The skill / upgrade system is dumb. How anyone though this was an improvement is nuts. It's possible to equip different skill sets depending on the situation... but isn't that just a hassle? Is it any fun?

The game is glitchy overall. Doesn't feel solid like.

Single player only should mean single player - no forced AI partner. Co-op only online or local.

There is no one single great campaign all the way through. Eventually Leon's campaign gets screwed after chapter 3. They should've altered the campaigns to feel totally different from each other. As it is, none of the really work. They all had ok parts and crap parts. One should've been pure horror, one action, one new - hand to hand.

I loved the original fixed camera of the early games, but think that 4 is a masterpeice, and everything they have changed since 4 hasn't been an improvemant. You would think that having made such a critically lauded and successful game it would be easy for Capcom to repeat - look at Dead Space, essentially the same game 3 times, they're all good - but no.
---
XBL gamertag: durango76uk
psn: durangodan76
#8Mariofan15Posted 2/7/2013 7:19:02 PM
The gameplay has strayed too far away from 4 and 5. It is broken up by too many short cut scenes. When it actually lets you play for a while it's not so bad, but it's like Capcom thought it was a good idea to take control away from the player.

An example of this is at the start of Chapter 2 Ada's campaign. Starts with a cut scene, you then walk about 2 metres along a rooftop for another short cutscene. It doesn't sound like much, but the whole games is like this. It never really lets you settle in and play anything for any length of time. Compare it to the number of times you are interupted by a cut scene in any other RE game.

Always having to correct the camera is another mistake (which it looks like they've reversed in the Revelations port). There should definitely be an option to have the camera fixed behind you. Having a free camera works for most games, not this.

Correcting the camera isnt that big of a deal.

Hit detection is awful. Headshots come easy then hard - who knows.

Hit detection seems fine to me.

The skill / upgrade system is dumb. How anyone though this was an improvement is nuts. It's possible to equip different skill sets depending on the situation... but isn't that just a hassle? Is it any fun?

Cant adapt so you call it dumb.
The game is glitchy overall. Doesn't feel solid like.

Explain what's so glitchy?

Single player only should mean single player - no forced AI partner. Co-op only online or local.

Complaining for the sake of it.

There is no one single great campaign all the way through. Eventually Leon's campaign gets screwed after chapter 3. They should've altered the campaigns to feel totally different from each other. As it is, none of the really work. They all had ok parts and crap parts. One should've been pure horror, one action, one new - hand to hand.

I disagree.

I loved the original fixed camera of the early games, but think that 4 is a masterpeice, and everything they have changed since 4 hasn't been an improvemant. You would think that having made such a critically lauded and successful game it would be easy for Capcom to repeat - look at Dead Space, essentially the same game 3 times, they're all good - but no.

---
Pokemon White 2 FC:4513-9468-5924
#9durangodanPosted 2/7/2013 7:34:10 PM
Look at the title of the topic. Why was this game so poorly reviewed. I wanted to like this game, love the series. But you can't ignore clear faults.
---
XBL gamertag: durango76uk
psn: durangodan76
#10sbn4Posted 2/7/2013 7:40:47 PM(edited)
Ok so how is that different than alot of shooters? Cause I just dont see it. Aim and shoot things. If you think thats tedious and boring then alot of other shooters should be tedious and boring. All you do in Gears of war is stay behind cover and shoot your lancer till the locust die. You dont even have to aim since the enemies just take it and dont even attempt to move 90% of the time.

Not only are you wrong, but that is hardly what I'm talking about. For one, comparing RE6 to Gears is just a bad comparison. Gears 3 is far more polished and enjoyable than RE6 is on nearly every level. Even if fun is subjective, the quality of each title can't be argued. Gears 3 wins hands down. And perhaps if you play on easy, blind firing in cover might work. But on veteran and insane, this will get you nowhere. Because there is actually competent AI in Gears 3 unlike RE6. By boring and tedious I mean there are a lot of sections in RE6 that are just flat out not fun to play. For instance, nearly everything in Jake's campaign is bad. Chapter 2 is a note worthy offender. The snowmobile chase is annoying. There is a section in the same chapter where you literally just wiggle your stick and mash on a button for a good 5 minutes. That's not my idea of gameplay. In Leon's campaign you are forced to walk during the opening sections. Until the recent patch this was not skippable. The game also forces itself on the player by making you look at points of interests. In GoW, you could hit "Y" to look at it. Constant button prompts/QTEs are not only annoying, but is artificial gameplay IMO.

Im guessing youre saying that certain moves to pull off are inconsisent? Cause I havent found anything inconsistent. Shoot in the head, arm or leg to use a melee move like Jakes suplex or Chris' throw. They seem pretty consistant to me. I can see how people dont know how theyre pulling off some of those cool moves but they are consistent to pull off. If you meant something else then please explain.

That's part of what I'm talking about. I've had many instance where I try to step on a zombie's head, but my melee will miss and I'll get grabbed. Back when I was new to Mercenaries, there would be many times where I clearly juiced off a zombie's head but he STILL grabs me and I lose the combo. Hit detection also sucks as my bullets don't register on zombies' extremities when they are on the ground. But since Mercenaries is all about countering and CDGs, its not a huge issue, but still a nuisance. The gameplay in general is just inconsistent because outside of Chris' campaign, Capcom has no idea what they want to do with each scenario. Jake's campaign is just a mess. Leon's campaign seems to start out with a clear focus, but completely abandons it for over the top action. The game is just disappointing for me. A lot of times its more frustrating to play than fun.
---
"No man should fight any war but his own."