So, how about that split-screen?

#1ArrrkPosted 2/11/2013 3:01:52 PM
Is there any real benefit to dividing it like that? I kind of got used to it in RE5, but it just seems silly not to just make full use of the available space.

Normally I'd just use the online co-op but for the Let's Play I'm doing it''s much more fun with couch co-op. As is evident on the face my buddy when I refuse to use anything other than Melee attacks. There's nothing quite like trolling your best friends. You can see that here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo9sYVC5nKk

I can't even imagine playing this game's split-screen on a below average sized TV. It's so hard to see details. In fact, the best design decision they made was to have it display how many bullets are in your gun rather than show a squished, unintelligible number
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/Arkonauts
#2hylianslayerPosted 2/11/2013 4:00:55 PM
welcome to my world. i hate my tv for normal split screen, but this game is just ridiculous. its like they gave tge job to someone they didnt trust with important stuff so he decided to mess with them.
---
White lawliot-1678 9390 8407, platinum anthony-3482 8253 5312, white2 stewart-0734 2568 0385
#3Krumpus299Posted 2/13/2013 10:21:28 PM
They do it so the screen's scaled properly

If they didn't, things'd get squashed
---
- XBL Gamertag: Scotti15, Deadinmysights3
#4Dark_Link72Posted 2/18/2013 4:25:56 AM
Krumpus299 posted...
They do it so the screen's scaled properly

If they didn't, things'd get squashed

Yeah, squashed via being stretched. Games these days are designed to be played in HD, so most native resolutions are similar to the 16:9 which is hard to make two of on a TV already shaped as such. The native image is shrunk down until its numeric height value matches the half of your TV's maximum vertical resolution, hence the black bars on the sides. If you were to "fill" those spaces, you'd just be stretching the video horizontally.

The only way for all of the screen space to be used without altering resolution would be to simply allow for a wider field of view when in splitscreen, but most games simply aren't designed to allow as such.

I'm not sure about RE6, but RE5 also did the shrunken 16:9 thing when in HD/splitscreen but properly used all available screen space when in SD/splitscreen. Might be the same in RE6, and if it is then it isn't too bad to play in SD.
---
I'm loving the shenanigans.