Why Didn't People Like This Game?

#11liquid0079Posted 3/17/2013 11:02:03 PM
Topdrunkee posted...
On the flip side, RE's gunplay is much better than most shooters. It just doesn't get the recognition that it deserves because RE's gunplay actually requires skill.

Ain't that the truth. I just got through Tomb Raider, and it was like the shooter equivalent of a bike with training wheels. Same for Dead Space 3.

RE:6 is easily one of the best third person shooters I've played. People complain about the controls, but I think it's because they just haven't learned to use them properly.
#12Dave_GahanPosted 3/17/2013 11:25:11 PM
LMAO quality > quantity, TC.

RE6 is trash.
---
2012 AFC SOUTH DIVISION CHAMPIONS
HOUSTON TEXANS: (12-4)
#13KazamaKojinrai(Topic Creator)Posted 3/17/2013 11:35:10 PM
Ok I read all the "reasons" as to why people disliked the game, and this is my response:

-Too many QTEs: QTEs are fine. I don't know why pushing a button while watching a cutscene is so awful. You're playing a video game, not watching a movie. The QTEs make you feel like you're the one actually doing something, rather than just watching a CPU on-screen do something.

-Bad boss battles: I'm glad this was brought up; I'd forgotten about it. Yes, actually the boss battles were lame in some regards. They were really impressive visually and creative, the problem was the gameplay. Instead of just shooting them a lot, you had to do some lame "discover the weak gimmic" crap, which generally consisted of stuff like impaling zombies with lightning rods so the boss would stupidly absorb the lightning rod and then zap himself 3 ties in a row. A lot of the boss fights were confusing or nonsensical because of that.

-The writing didn't have any coherence: I'm not sure what you're talking about. Yeah some parts don't make a whole lot of sense when you think about it logically, but that's not the point; the game is supposed to be fun to lay, not perfectly realistic or logical.

My conclusion is that the fans who don't like the game don't even know why they don't like it.
---
SSF4 clan: Team SIN
Dragon Lord rank: Jin Kazama | http://www.youtube.com/user/KyojiroInc
#14ServarePosted 3/18/2013 12:20:51 AM
KazamaKojinrai posted...
Ok I read all the "reasons" as to why people disliked the game, and this is my response:

-Too many QTEs: QTEs are fine. I don't know why pushing a button while watching a cutscene is so awful. You're playing a video game, not watching a movie. The QTEs make you feel like you're the one actually doing something, rather than just watching a CPU on-screen do something.

-Bad boss battles: I'm glad this was brought up; I'd forgotten about it. Yes, actually the boss battles were lame in some regards. They were really impressive visually and creative, the problem was the gameplay. Instead of just shooting them a lot, you had to do some lame "discover the weak gimmic" crap, which generally consisted of stuff like impaling zombies with lightning rods so the boss would stupidly absorb the lightning rod and then zap himself 3 ties in a row. A lot of the boss fights were confusing or nonsensical because of that.

-The writing didn't have any coherence: I'm not sure what you're talking about. Yeah some parts don't make a whole lot of sense when you think about it logically, but that's not the point; the game is supposed to be fun to lay, not perfectly realistic or logical.

My conclusion is that the fans who don't like the game don't even know why they don't like it.

I've played RE since 2... and I'm fairly confident why I don't like this game. I think you can't see things from other people's perspectives nor can you see a bad game when it is right in front of you.

I am glad you enjoy the game, I really am, but this game is not very good. Case in point: one of my all time favorite games ever is Advent Rising. Ever played? Dang that game is bad, but holy crap do I love playing it. Bad game, even though I still like it.
---
Fons sapientiae, verbum Dei.
#15Cosmic MayhemPosted 3/18/2013 3:36:49 AM
I thought the game was absolutely amazing. I also played co-op with my brother. Co-op is the way the game is meant to be played. People are too fussy to call this game garbage. This is one of my favorites games of 2012.
---
Hold your fire! Hold your fire! It's only a squirrel. He's got something in his hand! -\o_o/-
#16chocoboblue99Posted 3/18/2013 3:54:31 AM
People can enjoy a game, but know it is a bad game too.
#17A_PaddlePosted 3/18/2013 8:04:18 AM(edited)
RE:6 is easily one of the best third person shooters I've played

Damn, son, you need to start playing more third person shooters.
so far, I cleared Chris and Jake routes: RE6 is one of the worst shooters I played.

Also, while I haven't played Tomb Raider 2013 yet, Dead Space 3 was a highly disappointing sequel....and yet, unlike Resident Evil 6 (which has been ridiculously boring so far), DS3 was very fun to play, the controls weren't atrocious (and really, RE6's camera and cover systems are insultingly bad) and it also had a fun coop mode. In RE6 it's completely impossible to find any player. Waited 1 hour in the lobby at peak time with a good connection, no one joined. And it seems like you can only join lobbies or between stages, which is a really s***ty system.

(well, maybe I'm wrong with the lobby joining thing, but that'd mean that everyone already gave up on this game this early. I mean, RE5 was still alive and active years after release...but only after a few months after RE6's release, I could clear the whole Jake route without anyone joining the server)
---
Dislike. Hate. It hates humans. We'll get along.
#18BlueJester007Posted 3/18/2013 11:13:35 AM
A_Paddle posted...
RE:6 is easily one of the best third person shooters I've played

Damn, son, you need to start playing more third person shooters.
so far, I cleared Chris and Jake routes: RE6 is one of the worst shooters I played.

Also, while I haven't played Tomb Raider 2013 yet, Dead Space 3 was a highly disappointing sequel....and yet, unlike Resident Evil 6 (which has been ridiculously boring so far), DS3 was very fun to play, the controls weren't atrocious (and really, RE6's camera and cover systems are insultingly bad) and it also had a fun coop mode. In RE6 it's completely impossible to find any player. Waited 1 hour in the lobby at peak time with a good connection, no one joined. And it seems like you can only join lobbies or between stages, which is a really s***ty system.

(well, maybe I'm wrong with the lobby joining thing, but that'd mean that everyone already gave up on this game this early. I mean, RE5 was still alive and active years after release...but only after a few months after RE6's release, I could clear the whole Jake route without anyone joining the server)

Watch this. His reply is gonna be, "You lack the skill to play it right".
---
Mal: If anyone gets nosy, just...you know... shoot 'em.
Zoe: Shoot 'em? Mal: Politely.
#19IamBobNewbiePosted 3/18/2013 12:13:07 PM
I LOVED this game. I really don't understand the hate either. All the issues from the previous entries were pretty much remedied. The controls/mechanics for example, I don't see how anyone can complain about; they're considerably better and have more depth than any previous game. People complain about not being able to move and shoot + tank controls. It gets fixed and people still complain? wat

The ridiculous, over-the-top action scenes didn't bother me too much either. Jumping between moving trains and helicopters, outrunning tanks, fist fighting Ustanak etc. Yes, it's incredibly stupid, but it adds comic relief. The RE series has never been without cheesiness, and was never meant to be taken seriously.

The overabundance of QTEs I'll agree with. It's annoying, but not game-breaking, considering they can be (mostly) disabled.

Finally, the extra/multiplayer modes aren't nearly as bad as everyone makes them out to be either. Onslaught is genius, Agent Hunt's fun every once in a while (it's nice to play through the campaign from a different point of view), Predator is awesome and Siege is alright. Survivors is just as stupid as RE5, though. PVP/Deathmatch should not be in anymore RE games.

Overall, it's a little rough around the edges, but not nearly the 1/10 abomination everyone makes it out to be. It's a solid TPS on its own, and compared to RE5, it's a masterpiece. My personal GOTY of 2012.
---
http://www.youtube.com/atomictoast15
GT - AtomicToast15
#20KazamaKojinrai(Topic Creator)Posted 3/18/2013 12:48:46 PM
I guess a way to put my question more succinctly would be: if you were the developer of this game, what would you have done differently in order to improve it?
---
SSF4 clan: Team SIN
Dragon Lord rank: Jin Kazama | http://www.youtube.com/user/KyojiroInc