The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

Is this game better than tomb raider?

#1tired_insomniacPosted 4/11/2013 11:43:53 AM
I bought tomb raider and thought it was ok when I beat it like a 7/10 I like all resident evil games even 5. Would I enjoy this game?
---
she still lies trapped within the system.
#2ZGMF_600_GuaizPosted 4/11/2013 2:41:36 PM
It's hard to say. The game is a dramatic-horror game (Capcom made that new term just for this game), that has a severe lack of horror and is basically full action game. It's an even more action-focused approach than RE5, which is the closest in gameplay style.

Let's just say that i you are looking for an action game like RE5, you might actually end up liking RE6, but if you were looking for a survival horror game like older RE games, you came to the wrong place.

For what it counts, metacritic says that Tomb Raider is far better than RE6:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/tomb-raider

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/resident-evil-6
#3GiveMeSomeVodkaPosted 4/12/2013 7:35:32 AM
tomb raider is a great game. i liked it a lot.
but re6 is way better because its online modes are much better than tomb raider's.
(i only really play re6 for its online modes, and its co-op campaign from time to time).

i felt tomb raider's final boss didn't even feel like a final boss. and the ending lacked something, idk what that something is but i wasn't satisfied.

i felt tomb raider didn't have much replay value either. i heard a lot of times, in different reviews and forums, that it's more of a rental game than a purchased game.

i've played tomb raider for 2 days while i'm still playing re6 since its release.
#4TopdrunkeePosted 4/12/2013 8:50:29 AM(edited)
Depends on how much you're willing to stomach the stronger focus on action. I personally think that RE6 should've went all out with the action because this game really shines once you unlock infinite ammo for your guns and play it on Professional mode.

Professional difficulty is the mode where you really need to learn the ins & outs of the evade system just to survive. The problem is that mode also has laughably limited ammo but the game is designed as an action game which makes it impossible to run away from hordes, lol.
RE6 has clumsy ass ill-thought out game design all around due to oversights like this but it is an extremely fun game if you're only in it for the gunplay which truly shines in Mercenaries mode.

RE6 has the most complex gunplay out of any 3rd person shooter ever. Although most "oldschool RE vets" claim that it plays like Call of Duty or Gears of War because they're all scrubs who can't tell the difference and most likely never pay much attention to the rulesets that govern games. They'd probably even label Doom and Tom Clancy as the same genre, that's how clueless they are.

I say give RE6 a chance but be prepared for the worst first 20 minutes to 2 hours of your life because RE6 starts off with the worst prologue I've ever seen and it's made even worse by how all three campaigns start off with horrible intro stages, LOL!
It's a shame because RE6 is one of the only current gen games that I still own because the game is awesome once it actually lets you play it. The problem is that "Dramatic Action" bull**** constantly gets in the way of your enjoyment.
You were able to get through Tomb Raider though so you'll might be able to stomach this.

It's hard to say, because even I dropped RE6 after the first day due to how horrible the prologue & 1st chapters (for every campaign except Ada.) are.
Then one day, RE6 all of a sudden clicked for me when I was playing Mercs.
RE6 is like a melee, evasion based Max Payne 3 but without the lameass bullet time
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/BoozeAholic
#5Kiroshi117Posted 4/12/2013 1:42:36 PM
Everyone has different tastes. That said, I enjoyed RE6 more than Bioshock Infinite.
#6ZGMF_600_GuaizPosted 4/12/2013 11:42:20 PM
Topdrunkee posted...
RE6 has the most complex gunplay out of any 3rd person shooter ever. Although most "oldschool RE vets" claim that it plays like Call of Duty or Gears of War because they're all scrubs who can't tell the difference and most likely never pay much attention to the rulesets that govern games. They'd probably even label Doom and Tom Clancy as the same genre, that's how clueless they are.

Actually, Capcom specifically wanted RE6 to be like CoD:

http://blogs.bettor.com/Capcom-explain-reason-for-going-Call-of-Duty-with-Resident-Evil-6-a139568
#7TheMisfitPosted 4/13/2013 6:38:26 AM
I had a blast with RE 6, but I have to say Tomb Raider was much better.

Better writing, better execution, better combat system, superior enemy AI, zero control issues, better graphics and character models, great weapon upgrade system, great platforming elements, and I could go on.

The only downside is no replay value, but to be honest, once I finished the campaign of RE6, I have very little interest to play it again as well, but it was much longer.

I am however playing both games online modes right now, and I think I like Tomb Raider's better, but that's maybe because I am burnt out on Mercenaries game after game.
---
GameFAQs fanboy for over 10 years.
Curently playing: Resident Evil 6, Tomb Raider, Max Payne 3, Atari 2600.
#8tobal360Posted 4/15/2013 8:09:11 AM
ZGMF_600_Guaiz posted...
Topdrunkee posted...

Actually, Capcom specifically wanted RE6 to be like CoD:

http://blogs.bettor.com/Capcom-explain-reason-for-going-Call-of-Duty-with-Resident-Evil-6-a139568

Keep in mind that a game can be inspired by another game, yet doesn't mean it "plays" like that said game. RE6 still plays very similarly to 4 and 5, it doesn't play like a first person shooter.
---
GUILTY GEAR 2: OVERTURE! it's the BEST game ever made!
#9DaltonMPosted 4/17/2013 2:00:57 PM
In terms of replay value, Resident Evil 6.

Tomb Raider's multiplayer was tacked on and is half implemented.
---
My connection.
http://canv.as/ugc/original/ef4d94e61117adaa89e464f012d57dee41070d78.gif
#10AdamskaPosted 4/17/2013 11:35:35 PM
Not even close to TR IMO.

Having said this game is fun. Can be a little awkward at times.
---
"I prefer to call armour lock "an admission of failure" " - jimmytheballs
Xbox Live Gamertag - Blue Idiot