Heres an idea for capcom

#1ArtVandelay84Posted 7/11/2013 12:25:07 PM
Make a series called resident evil classic. Release them on XBLA and PSN. They can be new games set in the old style of RE, this could curb the criticism of the newer games while delivering an experience that many have been craving. Any thoughts?
#2GoldsicklePosted 7/11/2013 12:42:59 PM
If you actually watched interviews or "making of" videos, you'd realize that the original staff members are already tired of the classic style.

The reason why you don't see prerendered backgrounds anymore is because Shinji Mikami himself thought that "it'd be better if the camera is behind the player".
In another interview, Hiroyuki Kobayashi describes the classic RE games as "shackles holding us down".

There's really no hope in seeing any of the 'classic style' RE anymore, especially since the original creators themselves are bored of it.
---
My thoughts about Bioshock Infinite:
http://tinyurl.com/mn5ll4x (WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS)
#3MechaKoopa5000Posted 7/11/2013 7:20:12 PM
I don't want prerendered screens and weird camera angles. Keep the 3D engine and behind the back angle... JUST MAKE THEM SURVIVAL HORROR. I'm just playing RE6 for the first time, and even Leon's campaign is waaaaaaaay too action oriented. It's so action packed that its boring.

Atmosphere is good, but the gameplay is bumming me out. I'm prob just gonna switch to Easy mode to see the rest of the game since its not exactly fun normally, anyway.
#4zenandiPosted 7/11/2013 11:46:34 PM
It has nothing to do with pre-rendered backgrounds, or fixed cameras.

Go play Resident Evil: Revelations -- so much of the mansion feel without any of that stuff.

It's a matter of what type of game they want to deliver -- they simply have been leaning too much on thrill-a-second bs instead of well done suspense.
#5Dark__ThronePosted 7/12/2013 2:08:38 AM
While Capcom should definitely make an old style RE game (preferably REmake 2) it doesn't need to go back to tank controls with static/fixed camera. That's the least of the problems in modern RE.
#6burnoutguy314Posted 7/12/2013 11:33:43 AM
zenandi posted...

Go play Resident Evil: Revelations -- so much of the mansion feel without any of that stuff.

It's a matter of what type of game they want to deliver -- they simply have been leaning too much on thrill-a-second bs instead of well done suspense.

It has everything to do with fixed camera situations, because that having that type of mechanic limits the player in terms of options. 3rd person isn't as scary as a fixed camera. I've played all the RE's (still own my long box PS1 RE vanillla) and while Revelations is decent, it does not compare to the tension of a fixed cam RE.
#7MechaKoopa5000Posted 7/12/2013 10:57:02 PM
burnoutguy314 posted...
zenandi posted...

It has everything to do with fixed camera situations, because that having that type of mechanic limits the player in terms of options. 3rd person isn't as scary as a fixed camera. I've played all the RE's (still own my long box PS1 RE vanillla) and while Revelations is decent, it does not compare to the tension of a fixed cam RE.

The reason Revelations doesn't compare to the old RE's has nothing to do with the camera. It has to do with Revelations still only dipping back into the classic genre. It's certainly better than RE5 and RE6 in terms of atmosphere/scares, but even still it's a bit too heavy on the action. Great game, still.
---
SSB4 roster: http://i.imgur.com/R84ZL2c.jpg
#8SinisterBladePosted 7/13/2013 5:28:26 AM
MechaKoopa5000 posted...
burnoutguy314 posted...
zenandi posted...

The reason Revelations doesn't compare to the old RE's has nothing to do with the camera. It has to do with Revelations still only dipping back into the classic genre. It's certainly better than RE5 and RE6 in terms of atmosphere/scares, but even still it's a bit too heavy on the action. Great game, still.

Generally agree. The melee system is a bit too far but I will not lie is also great fun. But lets be honest, the old howitzer controls of old are not so good for business anymore. So some things will for better or worse stay in a more action oriented direction.
---
What is a man?!
A miserable little pile of secrets!
#9BlueJester007Posted 7/14/2013 7:33:10 AM
zenandi posted...

This. Bringing back the old style would not appease anyone because that's not what we want. We want a decent survival horror game. That's all. It doesn't need to be a shooter. That seems to be what's crippling this franchise: It tries way too hard to be a decent TPS.
---
What's in between the two Alt keys (Command keys if you are a Mac user) on your keyboard?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6aiz-La3g4
#10GoldsicklePosted 7/14/2013 9:32:51 AM
BlueJester007 posted...
That seems to be what's crippling this franchise: It tries way too hard to be a decent TPS.

Fact is that the first Resident Evil was planned to be a co-op FPS very early during development.

They only switched to borrowing Alone In The Dark's format because the co-op technology from 1996 was lacking.
---
My thoughts about Bioshock Infinite:
http://tinyurl.com/mn5ll4x (WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS)