Ideas for Resident Evil 7

#1DERPATR0NPosted 8/11/2013 12:22:09 AM
I think the big problem with 6 is that it feels like a scattered experience, with the 3 different stories (4 if you include Ada's). I think there should be two modes: one that is a strictly single player experience and plays like Resident Evil 4 with elements of REmake (limited ammo, terrifying atmosphere that makes you dread moving forward) as well as the decision making elements seen in Nemesis. I was thinking Claire should be the protagonist (veterans of the series know her, and I keep reading these articles about how women represent 47% of gamers. A female protagonist would be a step in the right direction, especially since it's single player and she's the star).

The second mode would be similar to RE5: you would always have a partner. There would be little to no Nemesis-like decision making, but maybe to make up for it, more Quick Time scenes (cool ones, like *a certain fight scene* in RE4) and the gameplay would be more action oriented. I was thinking Billy and Rebecca from RE0, which is probably my 2nd least favorite game of the numbered ones, but I like the characters. Neither have been mentioned at all (as far as I know, could be wrong) since RE0 and I think there's a lot of different routes they can take story-wise with those characters (Billy on the run, Rebecca maybe leaving her old life behind to work as a nurse, only to be forced to fight what she tried to escape from).

You guys probably think its a lame idea, but as long as the story is cohesive and compelling and not muddled (and time was taken to make sure each of the two stories got enough "screen time") I think it'd be cool... Im just really stoked for the next one :P
---
3DS Friend Code: 3351-4196-4357
ACNL Name: Lewis - Town: Grillage
#2BlueJester007Posted 8/11/2013 9:03:40 AM
Challenge accepted!

-Remove QTEs
-Have one long and interesting campaign.
-Less focus on co-op play and more focus on a solid single-player experience.(That does not mean co-op should not be in the game.)
-Make Mercenaries fun to play like it was in RE5.(Meaning each costume has it's own loadout and each character has their own melee moves. Less emphasis on countering everything and more emphasis on just beating the s*** out of the enemies.)
-Remove Stamina Gauge
-Have Replay Value (RE4 and RE5 allowed you to play the game with any set of weapons or costume you wanted. RE6 does neither.)
-Remove Skill System
---
What's in between the two Alt keys (Command keys if you are a Mac user) on your keyboard?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6aiz-La3g4
#3ultimate reaverPosted 8/13/2013 2:21:56 PM
- Actually attempt to have some horror focus beyond making monsters look kind of gross.

- Remove the focus of melee, both from normal gameplay and from being a giant focal point in Mercenaries. Running up and roundhouse kicking superpowered BOWs is stupid. Melee should be around, but it should be relegated to Resident Evil 4's style where it's a helpful way to clear out a few stunned enemies, not like Resident Evil 5 where Mercenaries is nothing but a chain of punching zombies in the head or 6 where you can go through about half the game just knifing and kicking/punching everything

- Remove the co-op focus. It does nothing except make the game less scary while appearing to the multiplayer crowd. If you need to, have a separate co-op campaign or something, but we don't constantly need two people working together at all times.

- Actually pay attention to the atmosphere, which is something all the half-decent Resident Evil games, even 4, at least attempted to do. Make the environments more interesting than "big area with maybe some things on fire for you to shoot zombies in"

- Get rid of gun-using enemies. Just, entirely.
---
"im gonna kill all the babies"- fluttershy, 2008
#4ILuvKnivesPosted 8/14/2013 5:35:47 PM
If you take a huge chunk of the melee, then Mercenaries will basically turn into a COD and gun down as many zombies as you can without thinking about conserving ammo. Using a firearm is one thing, but it takes away from the horror survivor experience if the conservation of ammo does not come to mind. In RE5 mercs, it actually took more skill IMO to use melee attacks than just mowing down a horde of Majini. If anything limit the melee attacks so that you can only use it a certain number of times each round. And as for countering, it also takes a lot of skill to master. I have yet to encounter a player in RE6 mercs that can counter 10 times IN A ROW, which I've accomplished already. If Capcom was to nerf countering, at least do it so that the weapon used breaks down or the character gets hurt in the process. Since many want to add to the horror survival experience, how about taking out the laser dot aim so it's also more difficult to shoot zombies? :-)

If Resident Evil 7 were to return to its true roots of being a scary game, how about introducing a brand-new protagonist who doesn't have much experience with battling the undead? I know many fans wish the return of Claire or Jill, which I also highly second myself, but these two heroines already have a lot of experience fighting zombies. After many years of surviving episode after episode of zombies, there is no doubt that either woman can kill a zombie with one bullet. On the other hand, someone who has not fought them before most likely won't know to aim in the head. Personally, it would be nice to see someone who has "survivor instincts" yet has not had the proper professional training unlike those of previous protagonists. I know I may be borrowing from "Tomb Raider" about this idea, but let's not forget that Lara Croft was trained by a British Royal Commando in survival arts.
---
If playing X-Box 360 was a full-time job, I'd be having overtime everyday. (^_^)
#5MaverickneoPosted 8/18/2013 7:46:18 AM
I dont know about you guys but I would love to finally see a campaign where I can play co-op as Jill, Chris, Leon and Sheryl all in one campaign or two different scenario campagins.
#6PLASTIC_MARTYRPosted 8/24/2013 9:57:45 PM
I see people that want main characters that are just regular joes, but that is not Resident Evil. The playable protagonists in Resident Evil have been police, military and spies with the exception of maybe Claire but even she was trained by Chris...
---
3DS friend code - 3239-2774-3892
#7GigerSupremePosted 8/25/2013 11:44:58 AM
tank controls, fixed camera angles and limited inventory.
#8peterjr123Posted 8/28/2013 4:11:02 PM
Stuck in a giant Infected and badly lit mental hospital... as Jill (Prepares flame shield). But seriously, Jill always seems the best character in these settings. It should just be one big campaign investigating what happened there, and getting out. There should be none of the ridiculous competing organizations (BSAA and FBC in Revelations). It should have a much more psychological focus with an undertone of espionage from Ada or whoever, rather than the whole spy thing taking up the whole story. Basically everything Revelations is but with a slightly better story.
#9este914Posted 8/30/2013 10:43:47 AM
BlueJester007 posted...
Challenge accepted!

-Remove QTEs
-Have one long and interesting campaign.
-Less focus on co-op play and more focus on a solid single-player experience.(That does not mean co-op should not be in the game.)
-Make Mercenaries fun to play like it was in RE5.(Meaning each costume has it's own loadout and each character has their own melee moves. Less emphasis on countering everything and more emphasis on just beating the s*** out of the enemies.)
-Remove Stamina Gauge
-Have Replay Value (RE4 and RE5 allowed you to play the game with any set of weapons or costume you wanted. RE6 does neither.)
-Remove Skill System

QFT +1
You sir, have gotten the cookie for the day. Bravo!
---
...::: este914 :::...
The One & Only!
#10siberian142Posted 8/30/2013 1:01:45 PM
ILuvKnives posted...
If you take a huge chunk of the melee, then Mercenaries will basically turn into a COD and gun down as many zombies as you can without thinking about conserving ammo. Using a firearm is one thing, but it takes away from the horror survivor experience if the conservation of ammo does not come to mind. In RE5 mercs, it actually took more skill IMO to use melee attacks than just mowing down a horde of Majini. And as for countering, it also takes a lot of skill to master.

This. Taking melee away would ruin Mercenaries and how It's played. It's braindead simple to run around with a shotgun and destroy everything, especially in RE5, but it actually takes some effort to set up melees in 5 and coup de graces and counters in 6. People put a lot of effort into learning and mastering the intricacies of Mercenaries and building time with melees is one of them, it's a large part of how the minigame is played now. Taking that away and making the intention to bullet kill everything would make it significantly more dull and simplistic.