Would making the game more harder really be the best way to go?

#1Sega9599Posted 1/22/2014 6:30:48 PM
The way people carry on, you'd think the classic games only left you with the knife and 10 bullets or something.

Resident Evil 3 gave you a giant submachine gun at the start if you played on Easy.

Resident Evil 2 on Normal left you more than enough ammo to kill every creature in the game.

Resident Evil 1 or Remake is perhaps the only one close enough (not DC).

And do you guys really think the reception would be good if they went that route? People would claim the game was too hard, that it didn't give you enough ammo. Granted not all people would complain, but a lot of the casuals would probably not even finish the game.

In the classic games, if they reached a certain part and saved with no ammo, the only option would be to start again, unless they were right by some ammo, or all zombies were cleared out, etc. Keeping that same mechanic in the new games would make peoples blood boil.
Currently in Re5 and 6 for example, it's pretty standard to always have enough ammo. In fact personally I always run low on bullets in Re6 and have to resort to melee attacks.

Co-Op mode might alleviate that somewhat though.

A balance would need to be achieved, beyond anything we've yet seen in a Resident Evil game. One where you don't have enough bullets to kill every creature in the game. But that would work better with the old style of exploration where you might have to cross the same area several times.

In fact a direct return to the roots might not work so well. With limited ammo, you still need to make the game beatable if you do overuse ammo on a boss or Hunter for example, while still keeping enemies a threat so that you can't just run past them.

But the line between terror and frustration is a thin one. Doing the same part for the 6th time and always running out of ammo eventually will become annoying.

Really it is all down to ATMOSPHERE.

If Resi6 had had everything kept exactly the same, but had a creepier atmosphere to it, as well as that old style exploration, it could have been better. Not saying the game didn't have that at SOME moments, like the 2nd chapter Boss for Leon for example. When I first came across that creature I died a lot trying to save as many people as possible. But it was a good fun experience that I didn't mind repeating it.

I'm sorry if this seems a bit all over the place, but I'm really trying to see how directly making the games more like Resident Evil 1 in terms of difficulty and gameplay would benefit the franchise and make for a better game.
---
Oh, for a new 'proper' Shining Force..and a new Panel de Pon game and a new english release of Puyo Puyo....
#2BlueJester007Posted 1/23/2014 11:20:07 AM
No, it would not be the way to go. Especially if it is the same artificial difficulty in RE6 - "You died. Not because you got hit too many times, but because you did not press the right button in the millisecond of time that you had."
---
When you tell someone that they don't understand something, be sure to enlighten them instead of just being a vague and pretentious dick.
#3Dark__ThronePosted 1/29/2014 5:13:22 AM
The thing is with the classics, the first time you play you don't know where to go first so you're clearing unnecessary enemies out and you eventually lose alot of supplies. You get hit alot because alot of unexpected encounters, you don't where the hidden items are so you do run out of ammo pretty fast. They obviously become easy after you've played them and mastered the gameplay know the location inside out.
---
"When it's cold and when it's dark..... The Freezing Moon can sometimes obsess you....." -Per "Dead" Ohlin