Strategy for Who Knows Where?

#1solarisjediPosted 2/16/2012 2:02:57 PM
I just got my first shard, but haven't beaten Who Knows Where from the pipe. I got kind of close with the Cael Hammer and the Musket, but its a bit much for me.
---
Official Zekrom of Pokemon Black/White
"I am the shadow of the eternal thunder storm"
#2JimiMorrison187Posted 2/16/2012 9:20:59 PM
Roll, roll, roll.

Rolling around is key to these battles IMO.

I usually use the Bow and try to get a lot of power shots by rolling away to get room. I like to have a bit more range and it does high damage. Fang repeater makes this a bit easier too since you can just hold it down like a machine gun. Cael Hammer I think is probably one of the worst for here if it isn't upgraded a lot. It's power comes from standing still mostly so it gets you into a lot of trouble when swarmed. All the ranged weapons give you more room to work with.

I use the trip mines too sometimes, although I don't really need them. Whenever I see the bottles drop I use however many there are on screen to refill my gauge.

---
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v452/Kwelity/avila2.jpg
#3R i c kPosted 2/18/2012 5:19:04 AM
Move around a lot. Those skybridges don't take you home, they throw you into the air and you can control your direction and air-dodge by tapping the button. You can basically fling yourself back and forth around the map with them. Careful around Gasfellas, though, they'll smack you around in mid-air. The tonics that pop up will stay there as long as you don't collect them so as enticing as that XP may be when your reserves are full, you may want to just avoid collecting them until you need them even if the place starts getting littered with them halfway through.

Also, you don't have to do Who Knows Where right away. As you play you'll get new weapons, more levels, better ales to go with those levels, etc, and WKW will become a bit more manageable.
---
"We won. We must have been right." - Aeon Flux
#4STG DeathbotPosted 2/18/2012 2:00:18 PM
Brusher's Pike and Scrap Musket is the best combo for this until you get the Galleon Mortar. Never stop moving unless you are blocking to regain HP from an enemy that is easily blocked (any ranged enemy is good for regaining health before the next wave).

As for the secret skill, I always use Decoy so I can get away if need be and have my Mortar/Musket crit the group that is hovering over the decoy.

This strategy is what I am currently using with all ten idols activated and I rarely have any trouble.
---
Wolfdale e8400 @ 3.6GHz OC'd | 4GB Mushkin RAM | eVGA GTX 260 896MB VRAM 576/1242/1998 OC'd to 732/1457/2360
#5DetsuaxhePosted 2/22/2012 7:48:32 AM

I just got my first shard, but haven't beaten Who Knows Where from the pipe. I got kind of close with the Cael Hammer and the Musket, but its a bit much for me.

What's your distillery setup? Weapon upgrades? Secret skills? Level? At the very least I'd recommend switching to the pike. Range is invaluable in WKW.
---
Where's my "Accept This Moderation with Extreme Reluctance and Resentful Glares" button?
When reading and responding to my posts, try to take it easy.
#6JimiMorrison187Posted 2/23/2012 10:27:58 AM
I never used the pike. Didn't really like it much. I preferred to use the musket and the carbine eventually, but early on I used the bow instead. Musket is great because it is more or less a melee weapon and has a good spread.

The problem with the mortar and not having a melee weapon is when you get the enemies that swarm at you more. IF you use this and don't have a melee weapon equipped it gets a bit hairy with the damage you take and not being able to shoot fast enough to hit them without standing in the blast radius. I'd rather use the Trapper's Snare secret skill you get from the final upgrade of the armory. This traps all the enemies you are by and holds them so you can unload a huge blast on them all at once without them giving chase. Decoy works too obviously, but I find the Snare to save me more often.

Obviously, getting your first shard you are nowhere near powerful enough to do this area anyways.
---
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v452/Kwelity/avila2.jpg
#7STG DeathbotPosted 2/23/2012 7:19:33 PM
JimiMorrison187 posted...
I never used the pike. Didn't really like it much. I preferred to use the musket and the carbine eventually, but early on I used the bow instead. Musket is great because it is more or less a melee weapon and has a good spread.

The problem with the mortar and not having a melee weapon is when you get the enemies that swarm at you more. IF you use this and don't have a melee weapon equipped it gets a bit hairy with the damage you take and not being able to shoot fast enough to hit them without standing in the blast radius. I'd rather use the Trapper's Snare secret skill you get from the final upgrade of the armory. This traps all the enemies you are by and holds them so you can unload a huge blast on them all at once without them giving chase. Decoy works too obviously, but I find the Snare to save me more often.

Obviously, getting your first shard you are nowhere near powerful enough to do this area anyways.

You can always purchase the upgrade that takes away the Mortar's self damage, ya know. This single upgrade is the difference between killing yourself on a single Pecker and letting 40 of them swarm you so you kill them all in half a second.
---
Wolfdale e8400 @ 3.6GHz OC'd | 4GB Mushkin RAM | eVGA GTX 260 896MB VRAM 576/1242/1998 OC'd to 732/1457/2360