Final Fantasy XII

#1ThamauturgePosted 9/9/2010 5:00:35 PM
So... this is quite possibly the most debatable one character roster wise.

I am REALLY pulling for Basch and Gabranth. Gabranth was fun to play as and Basch was awesome in his game with great lines. The thing about XII is that there are so many rivalries to choose from... but all of them are great. Ashe or Vaan and Vayne, Basch and Gabranth, and Balthier and Dr. Cid.

I love so many characters in this game, which is why I am a bit sad that we have to choose, but to be honest I think Basch and Gabranth would work the best.

Basch could definitely work, having a similarity to fellow Cosmos character in that his brother is on the opposing side. Basch was loyal, he was courageous, and he made sacrifices and bore shame all in the name of "protecting but one person from war's horror"

And Gabranth would be genius if they made him be commanded around by Palamecia as if he was but a "hound" whose purpose in life is to serve (his) empire. Gabranth could turn on him and maybe even redeem himself by the end of the game.

But... this could come at a cost. I love Vayne as a villain and think that if implemented correctly he would work the best out of the three. His hatred of the tyranny of the gods could prove to be great and unique as he schemes to usurp Chaos and Cosmos, he would work much more then The Emperor would.

And Balthier would be fun. If Vincent and Balthier were both in this game that would be the best matchup.
---
Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions- Proof That You Can Improve On a Classic
#2TruePrimePosted 9/9/2010 5:04:41 PM
Well besides you leaving out the potentail for Vaan Vs Gab which would work considering what happened to Rex and more so because their Ex Bursts wouldn't be clones of one another like Basch and Gab.

Who knows though, they are all good characters (well okay I don't agree about Ashe, I hate her) and they each have one thing that makes them have a chance.

Vaan has Main Character status and became the poster boy of FF XII.

Balthier, really popular amongst fans and SE as well.

Ashe - She had the story mostly revolve around her.

Basch - He protects the Princess and has a rivalrly with the icon of FF XII.

It will be a fun ride.

One thing though, while Cid is awesome and everything, Vayne should get that slot, I know it might hurt Balthier's chances but Vayne was awesome.
---
PSN TruePrime
GamerTag TrueOptimus
#3SocranPosted 9/9/2010 5:09:12 PM
Well besides you leaving out the potentail for Vaan Vs Gab which would work considering what happened to Rex

Was that ever even addressed in Final Fantasy XII? Man, the more I look at that game, the more obvious it is that Vaan wasn't always planned as the protagonist.
---
"A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Real men use items... and call them all Trombe!
#4NejiKusaPosted 9/9/2010 5:12:30 PM

I would enjoy playing as Vayne in his Hulked-out form.

#5Thamauturge(Topic Creator)Posted 9/9/2010 5:12:48 PM
I hate Ashe too. Female Dog. Nuff said.

And who says that Basch and Gabranth's Ex Bursts need to be clones of each other? They could get creative with Basch or give him his original Quickenings and change Gabranth's. I should replay the battle but I think I remember that Gabranth had some super awesome move that wasnt in Dissidia and would work as the potential new Ex Burst.

Dr Cid was easily my least favorite villain out of the three, but I still thought he was awesome. Vayne was incredible and deserves a spot... but then he would have to be a rival to Ashe which would be a huge sacrifice... especially when there were great protagonists in XII but the pairing wouldnt make sense if you paired... say,

Fran and Gabranth

If they DO include Vaan, (I personally never didn't like him when I played, I just thought his character design was bad) they should make him cool. I havent played TA2 because I have no DS but I heard he was awesome there.

I want THE UNDYING as an Ex Form
---
Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions- Proof That You Can Improve On a Classic
#6TruePrimePosted 9/9/2010 5:16:19 PM
XII's story had some holes, and Vaan wasn't originally the main character but what little story is there is tied up, or at least I thought so. The problem isn't the story but just how it feels like the enitre middle half of the game doesn't have one really.

They had a beginning that featured all the characters including Vaan, a middle that had Some Ashe with Vaan playing as her support for the viewer, but not a whole lot happened then about 3/4's of the way through it was as if someone slammed the their foot on the gas and was like lets finish this and the story picked up again.
---
PSN TruePrime
GamerTag TrueOptimus
#7TruePrimePosted 9/9/2010 5:17:34 PM
When I say Clone I mean strictly as he is now and not what they could do with him, that is the designers choice and I really have no idea what they could do.

---
PSN TruePrime
GamerTag TrueOptimus
#8W_Mark_Felt_SrPosted 9/9/2010 5:17:54 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#9W_Mark_Felt_SrPosted 9/9/2010 5:18:30 PM
XII's story had some holes, and Vaan wasn't originally the main character

Actually, Vaan wasn't originally in the game at all. They created him and Penelo when they decided to change the main character.
---
Not changing this sig until Square Enix reveals that codename FORTRESS is actually FINAL FANTASY XV.
You read it first on GameFAQs.
#10TruePrimePosted 9/9/2010 5:24:09 PM
But I didn't think that Vaan was thrown into the main character slot right away was he? I was under the impression that even after his creation that they went back and forth on who the main character should be for a time.
---
PSN TruePrime
GamerTag TrueOptimus