13 years later, how do you feel about FFVIII today?

#11Hycoudog9Posted 5/31/2012 7:31:16 PM
I dont know, it is probably one of the most forgettable Final Fantasy games I have played. It never really engaged me, I just remember loving the music but aside from that. Im pretty sure that game bored me out of my skull and the stupid orphanage twist is just stupid.
#12pichttPosted 5/31/2012 8:36:30 PM
Sorry FF8 fans.... It is almost the lowest in my list. And I gave it so many chances, too.
---
Let's move to http://w11.zetaboards.com/TheQuittingReturner/index/ dood
.-- .... -.-- -.. .. -.. -.-- --- ..- - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . - .... .. ... ..--..
#13CharizardFirePosted 5/31/2012 11:46:08 PM
It's nice, but I don't like being penalized for leveling up.

the stupid orphanage twist is just stupid.

I agree.
---
The official Cecil Harvey of the Dissidia 012: Duodecim boards.
#14aerisfanboyPosted 6/1/2012 1:20:53 AM
Music is nice. Triple Triad is nice.

That's about it.

Side note: Someone on the FFVIII board was said to be doing a live speed-run. We were joking about how it would consist of playing the card game in Balamb Garden for 3-4 hours then finishing the rest of the game in the other 3-4.
---
Currently playing - Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Tag Force 5, Dissidia 012: Duodecim Final Fantasy
Dueling Network username: aerisfanboy
#15Doc_ShantottoPosted 6/1/2012 4:13:53 AM
Herr_Edgeworth posted...
XIII and VII both under XII?

I said nothing about VII. VII is higher than XII in my list.

XIII though, is pretty crappy.

Woops meant VIII.
---
Ohohohoho!
For those who know Albelclaw, I am his alternate personality and I have stolen his body.
#16jeof96Posted 6/1/2012 4:19:52 AM
Tell me why Junction is broken?
Haven't played it yet.
So you mean really broken at the start of the game?
---
Even though I can't Master it.
I can at LEAST do it.
#17KafiezalPosted 6/1/2012 8:13:28 AM
Triple Triad is annoying without a guide. But I love the game :)
#18aerisfanboyPosted 6/1/2012 9:28:51 AM
jeof96 posted...

Tell me why Junction is broken?
Haven't played it yet.
So you mean really broken at the start of the game?

As I have said, if you know what you are doing, all you need to do is play cards for 3-4 hours in the beginning of the game, then blaze through the rest in another 3-4.

Simply put, you junction magic to your stats to increase them. The supposed "main" way of obtaining magic is by drawing them from enemies. Since enemies level up with you, as you get stronger the magic you can draw becomes stronger too.

IF the only way of obtaining magic is by drawing them from enemies, then Junction system would have been pretty good, albeit a little boring. HOWEVER, there is a supposed "side" way of obtaining them, through refinement of items / cards. Ruby Dragon cards refine into Flare Stones, which in turn refine into Flare. And obviously we all know that Flare is high-tier magic. And hey, all you did was to play cards, ie. no battling of enemies at all.

So we are talking about acquiring end-game high-tier magic in the beginning of the game. Do I mean really broken at the start of the game? Yes, I mean really broken. All enemies right up to end of Disc 1 don't survive 1 round of the attack command. All enemies right up to the end of Disc 3 die in a single Limit Break. You can't really find an easier game anywhere else.
---
Currently playing - Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Tag Force 5, Dissidia 012: Duodecim Final Fantasy
Dueling Network username: aerisfanboy
#19shababbossPosted 6/1/2012 10:10:44 AM
one of the best FF titles.
#20garekmanPosted 6/1/2012 10:52:12 AM
I have a lot of trouble when trying to decide which FF is my favorite one, but definitely this could be the one. I loved the story, back in the day, since I felt I could compare myself to Squall. I loved the characters, the gameplay, all of it. It's a game that I will remember all of my life, and I'll play it a lot more times, I hope.