Help me find a character

#1XylarxcodePosted 7/3/2012 11:38:00 AM
So, I played the original Dissidia and I enjoyed that. I played Terra and Cloud in that one (mostly Terra though) and had a real blast with it.
So, right now, I'm looking for a character to play and learn. A main, if that's what you wanna call it.
I've been looking to Tifa, whom I find very fun to play, but those feints look rather intimidating to master, especially to someone who (truth be told) is not very good at the game.
I'm also interested in Cloud of Darkness, because I've been meaning to play her in the original game as well, but never really got around to it. She looks like a great deal of fun, but I've never actually played her.
And lastly, Golbez. Of the three, he looks the most interesting and intriguing, but also the hardest and most confusing one. I don't know anything about his playstyle though.

So what I'm asking you is: is any of those 3 rather easy to learn and master? Is there any character you can recommend that is? The ones I do not wish to learn at all are: Ex-Death, Onion Knight, Kain, Zidane or Tidus. They do not appeal to me at all. And Terra and Cloud, ofc, since they'd be repeats.
For someone with mediocre (at best) skills at the game and only a basic grasp on the mechanics, whom would you recommend?
---
It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required.
Sir Winston Churchill
#2YonKitoTaoshibePosted 7/3/2012 2:10:25 PM
Tifa will let you be nearly unstoppable in PvP. She can also evade attack by simply running. This is if you get good with her, of course.
Cloud of Darkness isn't really tough or defensive, but her beam attacks combined with her tentacles make her excellent at mind gaming the opponent. She isn't too forgiving, though, and Wrath Particle Beam kinda sucks if it gets dodged.
Golbez is great, but he doesn't have great offensive abilities. His best block is Nightglow, which is situational. If the foe can shut him down, you better learn his tricks FAST or it will cost you the match.

I'm gonna vote Tifa, though I'd rather vote Golbez. Personally, I think Tifa's a better fighter and Golbez just seems cooler for his moves.

But if I can vote outside of these three, I'd advise Warrior of Light (who excels in the air, despite having no great mid->high priority attacks there) or Cecil (who is as good as you set him up). I main WoL extensively, and I can say he will be a rewarding main character to add to your roster. Cecil's a bit iffy, since he lacks BRV->HP attacks outside spammy link glitches, but what one job can't do, the other probably can in another way (if Searchlight -> Paladin Force fails, then try Ground Dash -> Shadow Bringer or Dark Flame)
---
"...Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit..." Matthew 28:19
#3kewldude475Posted 7/3/2012 5:14:32 PM
YonKitoTaoshibe posted...
Tifa will let you be nearly unstoppable in PvP. She can also evade attack by simply running. This is if you get good with her, of course.
Cloud of Darkness isn't really tough or defensive, but her beam attacks combined with her tentacles make her excellent at mind gaming the opponent. She isn't too forgiving, though, and Wrath Particle Beam kinda sucks if it gets dodged.
Golbez is great, but he doesn't have great offensive abilities. His best block is Nightglow, which is situational. If the foe can shut him down, you better learn his tricks FAST or it will cost you the match.

I'm gonna vote Tifa, though I'd rather vote Golbez. Personally, I think Tifa's a better fighter and Golbez just seems cooler for his moves.

But if I can vote outside of these three, I'd advise Warrior of Light (who excels in the air, despite having no great mid->high priority attacks there) or Cecil (who is as good as you set him up). I main WoL extensively, and I can say he will be a rewarding main character to add to your roster. Cecil's a bit iffy, since he lacks BRV->HP attacks outside spammy link glitches, but what one job can't do, the other probably can in another way (if Searchlight -> Paladin Force fails, then try Ground Dash -> Shadow Bringer or Dark Flame)

I wouldn't say Tifa makes one unstoppable, but her speed and feints can be annoying for some characters, such as Firion. Also, Rolling Blaze spam is a common annoying tactic.
#4ZeoPamasterPosted 7/3/2012 5:36:17 PM
Among those 3, I'd say Golbez is the easiest to learn and use.

Tifa's Feints, if used correctly, can be deadly. But in my opinion Tifa's kinda useless in in-game battles, especially against those Maximum-strength (or Very High) opponent. Those AI has hax reflexes so they can see what's coming for 'em.
Cloud of Darkness' attacks varies depending on your button press' timing. The most PP-efficient character second only to Jecht, you could say. She (it)'s also has a wide array of HP Attacks, and in EX Mode the game practically allows you to spam HP attacks (said EX Mode ability was nerfed in this game, though).
Golbez can attack the opponent, from both close-range and long-range. Not to mention he has heckuva lot of Branching attacks (4 or 5, I don't remember). Attack from long-range, if you hold and release the button Golbez will teleport right to the opponent's face and slaps them. Attack from close-range, works like any other character. Opponent closes in, screw that, you have Nightglow!

There are alos other choices; I suggest WoL, the most balanced character in the game, Cecil, the gimmicky-yet-kinda-easy-to-use character, or Firion, the ace when you're fighting on ground and an absolute crap when you're fighting in the air. You could say Firion is a *puts on sunglasses* landlord.
---
"Truth or Ideals? Which one will you fight for?"
Sorry, bad English.
#5kewldude475Posted 7/3/2012 7:58:51 PM
ZeoPamaster posted...
Among those 3, I'd say Golbez is the easiest to learn and use.

Tifa's Feints, if used correctly, can be deadly. But in my opinion Tifa's kinda useless in in-game battles, especially against those Maximum-strength (or Very High) opponent. Those AI has hax reflexes so they can see what's coming for 'em.
Cloud of Darkness' attacks varies depending on your button press' timing. The most PP-efficient character second only to Jecht, you could say. She (it)'s also has a wide array of HP Attacks, and in EX Mode the game practically allows you to spam HP attacks (said EX Mode ability was nerfed in this game, though).
Golbez can attack the opponent, from both close-range and long-range. Not to mention he has heckuva lot of Branching attacks (4 or 5, I don't remember). Attack from long-range, if you hold and release the button Golbez will teleport right to the opponent's face and slaps them. Attack from close-range, works like any other character. Opponent closes in, screw that, you have Nightglow!

There are alos other choices; I suggest WoL, the most balanced character in the game, Cecil, the gimmicky-yet-kinda-easy-to-use character, or Firion, the ace when you're fighting on ground and an absolute crap when you're fighting in the air. You could say Firion is a *puts on sunglasses* landlord.

Actually, Rolling Blaze+Feints kills the AI, even on max difficulty. Use Rolling Blaze, then feint, then Rolling Blaze. They get hit by it every time.
#6ZeoPamasterPosted 7/3/2012 8:45:36 PM
Yeah, exception for Rolling Blaze's feint, but just spamming it all the time won't help you get any better, right?
And not every time, they sometimes can dodge it.
---
"Truth or Ideals? Which one will you fight for?"
Sorry, bad English.
#7Final_PrinnyPosted 7/4/2012 2:34:53 PM
Of the three listed, I found Cloud of Darkness easiest; the fact the same Brv move can become one of three attacks is nice, and her (plentiful) HP attacks are good too. I find her a hard character to use assists with effectively, although that's probably just me...

Warrior of Light is a very good choice, as others have said, with easy Brv-HP links - I solo'd the labyrinth with him, so I can concur he's a good, balanced fighter.

My personal faves at the moment are Squall or Gilgamesh, though.
Squall has an extremely strong brave game, and is a good punisher with Beat Fang (At least, so I think :)). Beat Fang, plus Thunder Barret->Solid Barrel, are easy to land, damaging and help set up for easy assist attacks. This helps offset Squall's otherwise mediocre HP game - not bad, just not sparkling. He's also a popular choice of main, from what I've seen, so he shouldn't be too hard to pick up.

Gilgamesh... His gimmick means, importantly, the range of his physical attacks vary. This means he can be a tricky choice, and I can't recommend him; Gilgamesh does have some great HP attacks, though, in Jump, Hurricane and (Imo) Sword Dance. Tsubagameshi has a similar use to Beat Fang, in that it can punish well and help set up an assist, but has a less impressive range. He also has two quick pokes - one for ground, one for air - and a fun Ex Mode, if nothing else! (Plus his ex-burst can be the most damaging in the game, if you can get the knack...)
If you DO decide to main Gilgamesh, he won't be easy but hopefully he'll be fun :D
---
Warning: Avid Pratchett fan. Do not mention Discworld or prepare for topic derailment.
Official prinny of the Quitting Returners.
#8kuro-shinigamiPosted 7/4/2012 10:30:35 PM
Yeah Warrior of Light is a pretty easy to use character since he's balanced. Yuna is also an okay choice to use and Mega Flare just kills The AI.
---
What can Hope do for you? ~
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn270/hikamitz/yunope.png
#9Susan0Posted 7/4/2012 10:34:38 PM
Stick to firion. Punish at every chance you've got.
---
I Devour The Souls Of My Slain Enemies
(Currently At 1213583247 Souls Devoured)
#10gadgaurdPosted 7/4/2012 10:58:23 PM
Hmm..for Tifa's fients, let's take Burning Arrow as an example. Once activated, if you press X any time before the actual kick(during the "prep"), you've activated the fient. This is how you fient. The only difference are some attacks like water kick and elbow smash, were fient is activated for the prep of the second hit. And anothet, chargeable attack. I forgot the name, but it's her only chargeable attack. You activate feint as she runs.

With that out of the way, I suggest Tifa. She has fast attacks, a fast brv>hp link, fast movement speed, and the fients can crush AI and humans alike. Unlike most characters, she doesn't need Assist to punish a dodge. Most of her HP attacks wall rush. She's a very solid melee choice.
---
Darkness:The true Alpha and Omega. The beginning, and end. An unavoidable fate, it is the first thing you experience. And when all ends, only darkness remains.