Is Center of the World ever worth it?

#11YonKitoTaoshibePosted 12/3/2012 9:15:58 AM
jeof96 posted...
competitively? NO!

Casual plays? Depends on you, otherwise, Yes.

This.
I just recently gave it a whack with a Sephiroth build and found that with Center of the World and Close to You he was able to enter EX Mode twice a match against Core-chaser AIs. This was at Crystal World against Kuja with no other EX Boosting Accessories, so it could be better (and it better be if it's going to prevent Assists). Also to note, Empty Assist Gauge and Pre-Assist had better be used if you're doing this.
Also, I've been trying to find more uses for his Hell's Gate and Heaven's Light attacks, as well as making Octaslash land more. What I found is that Octaslash, when used right, will almost always snag a hit if the foe is near the wall and the move is used for dodge punishing. After Octaslash, call Kuja as an Assist, and use Heaven's Light, followed by a dodge cancel. If you're fast enough, you stand a good chance at getting the @chase as well. This obviously has to be close to a wall, as otherwise Heaven's Light will knock the foe out of Kuja's attack. The real benefit to all this is depletion as opposed to damage.
---
He summoned the crowd ... and said to them, "Whoever wishes to come after me must first deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me" Mark 8:34
#12gadgaurdPosted 12/3/2012 1:30:17 PM
See, iirc, most of only use Chase to gather EX Force, which makes a big difference. If you use Chase regularly(which requires practice), and you have a character with attacks that generate a lot of EX Force, AND you've got good eyes/ears and reflexes...Yes, you can make this dangerous. You can, if you're good at Chase, stay in EX Mode until the end of the match, or until you get EX Broken. Which, by the way, is a chance for you to grab Stage Bravery instead, and further lock their Assist.

Whereas Assist based builds focus on making every character a very effective Chipper, EX Builds are the slow, steady, and devastating approach. You'll constantly regenerate, you may Assist Break them(anyone will let you break their Assist over killing them), your damage will increase, and since most people will just run from you, they have to chose between letting their Assist bar drain away, or whiffing to keep it up, and risking getting comboed. Especially against the likes of Cloud, Terra, or anyone else with a pants s***ingly terrifying EX Mode. As for how important Chase is to all this?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p1UcWJw7CSE
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=TFr3fQChIsM

That absorption was with absolutely no EX boosting effects. Of course, another thing is...How reliant on Assist are you to land you're HP attacks?
---
I'm an amateur writer. I write CYOAs to practice.
#13pichttPosted 12/3/2012 2:29:53 PM
That works.... because it was against AI. That will look nasty when you fight against human player. Thus, the reason for this statement

jeof96 posted...

competitively? NO!

This.

Also, the longer you stays in EXmode, the higher chance that you WILL be Assist punished (and, thus, assist break) to death. And since there is no Assist to safe yourself after that, you will be pretty much hopeless.
---
Let's move to http://w11.zetaboards.com/TheQuittingReturner/index/ dood
.-- .... -.-- -.. .. -.. -.-- --- ..- - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . - .... .. ... ..--..
#14LonelyGarugaPosted 12/3/2012 2:56:29 PM
Center of the World is trash in competitive play. If you want to use it for casual matches, go ahead though, not like it matters what you use there.
#15gadgaurdPosted 12/3/2012 3:10:16 PM
pichtt posted...
That works.... because it was against AI. That will look nasty when you fight against human player. Thus, the reason for this statement

jeof96 posted...

competitively? NO!

This.

Also, the longer you stays in EXmode, the higher chance that you WILL be Assist punished (and, thus, assist break) to death. And since there is no Assist to safe yourself after that, you will be pretty much hopeless.

1) Wait, you're saying that I'd have a harder time using Chase on humans than AI? Because I was really just showing the great absorption you can get by regularly using it, and leaving it yo whomever to drop that on an EX build.

2) While that's definitely true, I personally try to get in a break>HP attack>Burst as soon as possible when using an EX build. But, if you're using an EX Build, ideally you'd be using the High Seraph, thus turning even an EX break into a great chance.

But, I'm more interested in your view on using Chase on humans.
---
I'm an amateur writer. I write CYOAs to practice.
#16Mad_CartoonistPosted 12/3/2012 4:08:37 PM
pichtt posted...

With the exception of Light who is essentially safe from Wall Rushes, and only requires advance Assist Tag or punishing dodge that'll hit her.
---
Prez of the Sophia Esteed Eternal Fan Club (27)
Read [Zodiac Angels - Chapter Viola] @ [http://tinyurl.com/mcib-ZACV] Updated Every Saturday
#17GuilmonDXPosted 12/3/2012 4:13:12 PM(edited)
Gabby and to some extent, Sephiroth can use CotW effectively.

With CotW on Gabby, he can get to his mode faster, and sustain EX mode longer, thus longer HP/Brave Regen.

Since Gabby has 2 mid priority attacks that goes to chase, it's the best way to sustain EX mode and mind game your opponent (opponent get hit by a critical brave attack, or get hit by a HP attack) in chase.

Say your opponent's bravery is low enough that they can be BRV BREAK in 1-2 brave attacks or get hit by an HP attack then BRV BREAK with an EX Burst during chase.

That is way to much pressuring for your opponent since they have 50% chance of getting it right and they safe for now, or get it wrong and eat stage bravery damage every time. Pretty much like a gamble.

ONLY when your opponent's HP is low enough that they can be one-shotted, is when the chase tactics doesn't work. That's where the player has to be creative and use Gabby's HP attacks to get the last hit to win.

I PvP my friends using this tactic, and I mostly win 90% of time using full EX Gabby.
---
"Do not pray for an easy life, but pray for the strength to endure a hard one." - Bruce Lee
#18YonKitoTaoshibePosted 12/3/2012 4:12:13 PM
Mad_Cartoonist posted...
pichtt posted...

With the exception of Light who is essentially safe from Wall Rushes, and only requires advance Assist Tag or punishing dodge that'll hit her.

Or GILGAMESH. I beginning to see why he's practically nonpunishable. Hurricane does the trick nicely, and Jump has surprising effectiveness.
---
He summoned the crowd ... and said to them, "Whoever wishes to come after me must first deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me" Mark 8:34
#19pichttPosted 12/3/2012 7:53:31 PM(edited)
Mad_Cartoonist posted...
pichtt posted...

This... I can agree. But, ironically, you use SBS on her :P
---
.-- .... -.-- -.. .. -.. -.-- --- ..- - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . - .... .. ... ..--..
#20pichttPosted 12/3/2012 7:49:33 PM
gadgaurd posted...
pichtt posted...

jeof96 posted...

competitively? NO!

This.

1) Wait, you're saying that I'd have a harder time using Chase on humans than AI? Because I was really just showing the great absorption you can get by regularly using it, and leaving it yo whomever to drop that on an EX build.

2) While that's definitely true, I personally try to get in a break>HP attack>Burst as soon as possible when using an EX build. But, if you're using an EX Build, ideally you'd be using the High Seraph, thus turning even an EX break into a great chance.

But, I'm more interested in your view on using Chase on humans.

You can chase without attacking and still be able absorb EXforce. Good at chase game is completely irrelevant here. Also, when I said against human, I mean smart player with assist while you are in EX will try to make you dodge, and then punish you with assist. For example, use Jecht shot and force you to dodge and punish you right there (or, well, you get hit by Jecht shot -> wall rush -> assist)
---