Is Center of the World ever worth it?

#41negi_magicianPosted 12/4/2012 6:06:19 PM
GuilmonDX posted...
Gabranth is the only character I would use CotW to extend his EX mode, since he is the only character can go to EX mode faster compare to other characters.

The purpose to extending Gabby's EX mode is so he has more time to attack more aggressively, and have longer HP/Brave Regen to keep him alive/do more damage.

You are welcome to EX Burst any time whenever you hit your opponent with HP attack. EX Charge, harass, HP attack, EX Burst, (get stage bravery if their brave is broken) EX Charge, repeat.

If you running assist depletion build on FULL EX Gabby, you don't have to worry that much of your opponent building up assist during EX mode.

Every other character are better off get to EX mode consecutively than extending it.

Yup. That ****ing regen... And because of the default "activate EX mode, deplete opponent's assist" aspect of the game, Gabby's pretty much safe to activate it at any time. The opponent's not going to build assist when it'll just get depleted instantly. Instead they have to pressure him... But not many characters do that well. Lightning's the only one who comes to mind thanks to Watera. Characters like Firion and Gilgamesh, they have their electric attacks but if they're in range to hit Gabby with those, they're also within range of getting punished by Vacuum Wave when he hits EX mode. And tbh, any competent Gabby would know in those match-ups to stay in the air (to avoid ground wall rush against Firion) or near things that will make it so Gilgamesh can't combo off of a thunder that hits.

Since characters have to play it safe against Gabby, well... if they're running from Gabby the whole time, then with CotW and a few other regen things, he'll end up healing about 1.5-2k health with a single EX bar and no extensions. Since you can't let that happen as he'll avoid your attacks while building up his EX gauge, you have to attack while he's attacking. But be safe. Which is tough, considering it takes awhile before you can get another assist gauge.

I swear, they shouldn't have made it so Gabby's protected from EX breaks giving the opponent stage brave every single time. -_-
---
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/moxillaq/143295be.jpg
http://emmyc.com/HOTINHERE.gif
#42evillockePosted 12/4/2012 6:24:11 PM
largerock posted...
Shortest answer:

Doo-doo-doo
Round and round the record spins all day.
Listen again, it takes you far away.
Trying to stop it is futile
So just listen now to my musical doodle!
Doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo <x3>
Listen again to the musical doodle!
Doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo
Doo-doo-doo-doo.
Try to control it, but it's way too hard
Every time it plays, it's an electric charge.
The sound in your head is brutal...
Now you're infected by the musical doodle!
Doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo
The song that you ran from is back again!
You wonder if the madness will ever end.
Trying to stop it is futile.
So just listen again to my musical doodle.
Doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo <x3>
You gotta listen again to the musical doodle!
Doo-doo-doo-dooooooooo

You watch too much spongebob.
---
Offical Breloom of all pokemon boards.
R.I.P Final fantasy: March 2003.
#43Mad_CartoonistPosted 12/4/2012 6:30:52 PM
This... I can agree. But, ironically, you use SBS on her :P

^ That had changed, dood. XD

gadgaurd posted...
Not as safe, but characters who can double dodge, or immediately through up a higher guard than most(Nightglow, for example), are noteworthy, if nothing else.

pichtt posted...
Nightglow is nice and all....but as soon as the attack animation finish, it is still wide open for assist punishment (not that much, but still possible.) Well, at least, it is one way to deal with Jecht Shot thing I was talking about. So, yea, it is quite a decent move.

^ Exactly. While I praised it as an awesome move, throwing it against humans is dangerous >_>
It's best used at point blank or close range where it is faster than any other close range attacks.

In fact, there was one time in a replay between M_C and Me that we actually did assist break (or was it EX break?) and another one with me and RockmanAL. Both of those replay are made without EXbuild, yet, we were able to have enough assist to make it happened. And I assured both M_C and RockmanAL is not a bad player or at least they are on par with me. And we weren't the type that like to camp for assist, too.

^ I'm pretty sure that was partially because I have SBS? XD

Anyway, I've begin to 'slightly' appreciate Chase since it really does help kick that EX Gauge up noticably.
I still don't like how it is more of a Rock-Paper-Scissor game.
---
Prez of the Sophia Esteed Eternal Fan Club (27)
Read [Zodiac Angels - Chapter Viola] @ [http://tinyurl.com/mcib-ZACV] Updated Every Saturday
#44GuilmonDXPosted 12/4/2012 7:10:49 PM
negi_magician posted...
GuilmonDX posted...
Gabranth is the only character I would use CotW to extend his EX mode, since he is the only character can go to EX mode faster compare to other characters.

The purpose to extending Gabby's EX mode is so he has more time to attack more aggressively, and have longer HP/Brave Regen to keep him alive/do more damage.

You are welcome to EX Burst any time whenever you hit your opponent with HP attack. EX Charge, harass, HP attack, EX Burst, (get stage bravery if their brave is broken) EX Charge, repeat.

If you running assist depletion build on FULL EX Gabby, you don't have to worry that much of your opponent building up assist during EX mode.

Every other character are better off get to EX mode consecutively than extending it.

Yup. That ****ing regen... And because of the default "activate EX mode, deplete opponent's assist" aspect of the game, Gabby's pretty much safe to activate it at any time. The opponent's not going to build assist when it'll just get depleted instantly. Instead they have to pressure him... But not many characters do that well. Lightning's the only one who comes to mind thanks to Watera. Characters like Firion and Gilgamesh, they have their electric attacks but if they're in range to hit Gabby with those, they're also within range of getting punished by Vacuum Wave when he hits EX mode. And tbh, any competent Gabby would know in those match-ups to stay in the air (to avoid ground wall rush against Firion) or near things that will make it so Gilgamesh can't combo off of a thunder that hits.

Since characters have to play it safe against Gabby, well... if they're running from Gabby the whole time, then with CotW and a few other regen things, he'll end up healing about 1.5-2k health with a single EX bar and no extensions. Since you can't let that happen as he'll avoid your attacks while building up his EX gauge, you have to attack while he's attacking. But be safe. Which is tough, considering it takes awhile before you can get another assist gauge.

I swear, they shouldn't have made it so Gabby's protected from EX breaks giving the opponent stage brave every single time. -_-

I concur with all the above statements but to add to your last statement, some players think that even Gabby's Jamming EX mode ability isn't enough.

Instead, if my memory serves me right, they wanted Gabby to have EX ability that he is immune to EX Break, thus making him overpowered.

I for one like his Jamming ability because Gabby would have hard time dealing with SbS users if he didn't have it. Mystic Guard only makes Gabby endure one EX Break which isn't enough for those pesky SbS users.
---
"Do not pray for an easy life, but pray for the strength to endure a hard one." - Bruce Lee
#45negi_magicianPosted 12/4/2012 7:53:40 PM
GuilmonDX posted...
I concur with all the above statements but to add to your last statement, some players think that even Gabby's Jamming EX mode ability isn't enough.

Instead, if my memory serves me right, they wanted Gabby to have EX ability that he is immune to EX Break, thus making him overpowered.

I for one like his Jamming ability because Gabby would have hard time dealing with SbS users if he didn't have it. Mystic Guard only makes Gabby endure one EX Break which isn't enough for those pesky SbS users.

I think the only reason he got the jamming was because they didn't want him to be a liability against SbS users... except with the nerf to ex duration well... Yeah, that only plays into his hands when not using a duration and absorption enhancing build.

And I wouldn't call SbS users pesky, the only ones who really can land an HP attack on EX mode Gabby are ones like Firion or the "I don't follow the ban on her reset" Terra users. The other typical SbS users have brv->HP attacks, and those are liabilities because of the vacuum attack.
---
#46gadgaurdPosted 12/4/2012 8:01:27 PM
negi_magician posted...
GuilmonDX posted...

I think the only reason he got the jamming was because they didn't want him to be a liability against SbS users... except with the nerf to ex duration well... Yeah, that only plays into his hands when not using a duration and absorption enhancing build.

And I wouldn't call SbS users pesky, the only ones who really can land an HP attack on EX mode Gabby are ones like Firion or the "I don't follow the ban on her reset" Terra users. The other typical SbS users have brv->HP attacks, and those are liabilities because of the vacuum attack.

Vortex of Judgement?
---
I'm an amateur writer. I write CYOAs to practice.
#47negi_magicianPosted 12/4/2012 8:04:25 PM
gadgaurd posted...
negi_magician posted...
GuilmonDX posted...

Vortex of Judgement?

The mid-priority one that leads to chase, which of course means it always gets followed up by chase. >_>;
---
#48GuilmonDXPosted 12/4/2012 8:19:03 PM
negi_magician posted...
GuilmonDX posted...

There is Cloud's Brv to HP link (Omnislash/ Finishing Touch) that's able to wall rush like 90% of time and that's all it takes to knock Gabby's out of EX mode, giving the opponent stage bravery if Gabby didn't have the Jamming ability.

Then there is Zidane who capable to chain his assist (with strict timing) after his Meo Twister for double HP damage and EX Break Gabby.

There are probably other characters, but these 2 examples as well as yours are the reason why Gabby going to need that Jamming ability if he ever going to have fighting chance against those SbS users.

Gabby's Vortex of Judgment may be his best attack to build damage, chain an assist, gather EX Force, pressure via chase, but a competent SbS player will always find a way round that attack and punish Gabby.
---
"Do not pray for an easy life, but pray for the strength to endure a hard one." - Bruce Lee
#49negi_magicianPosted 12/4/2012 10:48:40 PM
GuilmonDX posted...
There is Cloud's Brv to HP link (Omnislash/ Finishing Touch) that's able to wall rush like 90% of time and that's all it takes to knock Gabby's out of EX mode, giving the opponent stage bravery if Gabby didn't have the Jamming ability.

Then there is Zidane who capable to chain his assist (with strict timing) after his Meo Twister for double HP damage and EX Break Gabby.

There are probably other characters, but these 2 examples as well as yours are the reason why Gabby going to need that Jamming ability if he ever going to have fighting chance against those SbS users.

Gabby's Vortex of Judgment may be his best attack to build damage, chain an assist, gather EX Force, pressure via chase, but a competent SbS player will always find a way round that attack and punish Gabby.

Except what a Gabby player would do is play it safe, and wait until the opponent tries to attack with one of those brv->hp linking brave attacks, and punish them. Meanwhile this lets him build up more EX force and brave for more regen, or else use an HP attack into EX burst and regen via exp->HP. It'll be slow, sure. But that's how the meta evolved in the US. The only real wrench to get thrown in Gabby's gears out of the examples you listed is Cloud going into EX mode as he attacks, which Gabby couldn't block or counter. Or else, after getting blocked/ staggered by Gabby's VoJ attack, EX revenge and make sure to finish with OVer.5 into an assist. But then, Cloud wouldn't be using SbS if he's got an EX gauge filled, barring some crazy rule set or 100% breakable accessories. Admittedly, Zidane might get a lucky hit with Quick Hit or *shudders* Tempest, but not likely if Gabby's staying close but playing defensively. So Zidane's only real hope is his HP attacks but if he messes up the timing and positioning, he gets punished. And it's not easy for something like Grand Lethal to wall rush, except in small wall-oriented stages.

Sure, there's ways around it. But that's on a very technical level that, given a lot of the "perks" in the game that probably weren't intentionally put in... I'm doubting they planned for things to work out that way either. >_>;
---
#50Enlong(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2012 11:32:46 PM
Man, this topic raised a lot more discussion than I imagined it would.
---
That is all.