Torchlight or Bastion and How long is Bastion

#1jmace1Posted 7/19/2011 3:34:16 PM

It seems as if Bastion is getting good reviews and I've read great things about Torchlight as well. I'm looking to purchase one so I'd appreciate if anyone could post the pros and cons of both titles. Thanks

#2lvl99linkPosted 7/19/2011 3:38:38 PM
I think Bastion is going to be better storywise.

Dungeon crawling wise I would say go for Torchlight. It has semirandom dungeons, defined loot and frequent boss/miniboss encounters.

Story wise, easily Bastion, It uses an uncommon art style, balanced weapons, alternate endings, and a unique take on the storytelling.

Also as a little bonus I would say from what I have seen, I like the hub town in bastion better.
---
Reason why Dante pwns..
"Stabbed in back, removes dagger, pwns death, steals his weapon, and sews tapestry to his chest."D_Gryphon
#3PoKeR360Posted 7/19/2011 3:59:35 PM
Torchlight:

Loot / Build a specific type of character

Bastion:

Story, art, combat requires skill
---
Cool Story, Bro.
#4TaraMariePosted 7/19/2011 4:06:47 PM
I've read conflicting reports...
Some say Bastion is 4 hours long...
others say it's 8 to 10 hours long.

Probably depends on the person playing.

I still say Bastion is a buy.

Buy both if you can.
#5DaShavedMonkeyPosted 7/19/2011 4:16:20 PM
I'm hearing the story isn't as good as expected in Bastion, but its still getting ratings of 8 and up! I think both are a must buy! But if u can't buy both now, I would buy Bastion as its brand new and Torchlight might get a drop in price soon! Good luck!!!
---
"I would have 10,000 karma if it wasnt for all my moderated messages"
#6DANW547Posted 7/19/2011 4:20:44 PM
Bastion looks like the deeper experience of the two. I enjoyed Torchlight but in spite of giving you a wealth of content, I found that I got burnt out on the combat and recycled enemies by the end.
---
Retro Master - Xbox Live Retro Messiah - PSN
http://www.youtube.com/user/DANW547
#7PanopictonguyPosted 7/19/2011 7:06:45 PM
DaShavedMonkey posted...
I'm hearing the story isn't as good as expected in Bastion, but its still getting ratings of 8 and up! I think both are a must buy! But if u can't buy both now, I would buy Bastion as its brand new and Torchlight might get a drop in price soon! Good luck!!!

Torchlight was DotW a week or two ago. It's going to be awhile before there's another deal on it.
---
Castlevania Lords Of Lycans And Trolls
#8deovitalisPosted 7/19/2011 9:16:53 PM

Get Bastion and wait for Torchlight 2

#9netswisha16Posted 7/19/2011 10:43:57 PM
No way. Dont waste money on Torchlight. Crimson Alliance will be out in september i believe, and it seems to be torchlight x10. id wait for it and get bastion instead. that way, if CA turns out to be a better game, you wouldnt have spent your money, and if it fails, torchlight will still be available. and you wouldve enjoyed an excellent game in bastion in the interim.
#10ElectriumPosted 7/20/2011 12:22:24 AM
I wouldn't recommend Torchlight. There really is nothing memorable about it.

Judging by the press buzz, I'd say Bastion is a much better choice. For example, check out this (mostly) glowing article:
http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2011/07/19/15-things-videogames-can-learn-from-bastion/
---
Legends never die.