ending discussion (obvious spoilers)

#1hauntbotPosted 7/22/2011 10:14:52 AM
hey all, just wondering what everyone thought of the choices you were given at the end, and the ending in general.

i am a little disappointed that there wasnt some big climactic uber showdown boss battle, and that instead we go from just being able to jump to having to use a big clunky battering ram.

that aside, i loved the choices you were given, though i found it strange and sorta annoying that if you choose to save zulf, he seems to just disappear with no further explanation on what happened to him. it was pretty epic that the ura just stop shooting when they see youre so determined to get him out, though.
---
lol hauntbot is my new favorite user... ~OgesMC
people who agree with Oges: 1
#2shadowhippo1986Posted 7/22/2011 10:17:33 AM
SPOILERS>>>>

If you save Zulf he doesnt dissappear he is laying on a bed when you get back to the bastion look around before you put the core in and he is also in the ending credits if you do not reset everything and chose to fly away
#3hauntbot(Topic Creator)Posted 7/22/2011 10:18:42 AM
shadowhippo1986 posted...
SPOILERS>>>>

If you save Zulf he doesnt dissappear he is laying on a bed when you get back to the bastion look around before you put the core in and he is also in the ending credits if you do not reset everything and chose to fly away

ah. i looked around some, but missed the bed obviously.
---
lol hauntbot is my new favorite user... ~OgesMC
people who agree with Oges: 1
#4v4nd4l5Posted 7/22/2011 1:28:33 PM
SPOILERS.

In reference to the "resetting option"....does it create a loop?

I feel like the "resetting" option for the bastion just resets everything back to the way it was when the game started. I can't remember exactly what the old man says in the beginning of the second playthrough before you wake up, but it seems like he can't tell if it is the beginning or the end of the beginning. It seems like they are stuck in a loop (which is a great explanation for the New Game + feature being implemented). I am probably crazy though and reading too much into it.
#5shadowhippo1986Posted 7/22/2011 1:34:50 PM
i agree i feel like the resetting option does cause a loop because of how he says he doesnt know if everything that happened wont happen again
#6v4nd4l5Posted 7/22/2011 1:46:31 PM
Spoilers:

Exactly! The way i see it. The bastion WILL ALWAYS cause the calamity(since it was the reason for it in the first place). So, you will always start back at the point where the kid wakes up with the world ready to grow again? There is no way to restore the world to the way it was before the event, but it seems like the world is ready to be restored on its own. I don't exactly understand the significance of the kid and why the land builds itself infront of him??? Is it him, or is the world just ready on its own? I have no idea.
#7spinergy03Posted 7/22/2011 2:00:33 PM
The ground builds in front of him because of the city emblem he carries on his back (that gear thing). If you fall off the edge early on in the game the old man says something to the extent of the city emblem not even being able to restore that part of the world.
#8lvl99linkPosted 7/22/2011 3:38:14 PM
I love the ending when you are carrying Zulf. Just the amount of respect that they two generals give your character, and the music playing. *Chills* probably one of the best ending sequences in a game that I have played.
---
Reason why Dante pwns..
"Stabbed in back, removes dagger, pwns death, steals his weapon, and sews tapestry to his chest."D_Gryphon
#9mocheckPosted 7/23/2011 12:08:13 PM
*Spoilers of course*

I agree lvl99link, carrying Zulf was one of my favorite parts. The first time I did it and the enemies stopped attacking, I thought they had just glitched and i got lucky but the second time around I realized they stopped on purpose and were letting me go on. I also finally saw when one of the soldiers kept attacking me when everyone else stopped, he was killed by another. I must have been too distracted by not dying the first time and missed all that. Awesome moment.

I did the restoration option first so I could do the New Game+. It's pretty sad that the option, story wise, pretty much creates a loop and you simply can't return things to a better time. I love when you're starting the New Game + and you hear a little echo of the last words Rucks says to you before the restoration. Little hints through the game, but I couldn't remember if he said some things before or only on this new game. In one of the last places Rucks says something like "I feel like I've told this part a thousand times".
---
http://siertes.dvdaf.com/owned
#10werdbird465Posted 7/23/2011 3:53:49 PM
Carrying Zuf was awesome, reminded me of the scene from Paschendale where the dude goes to take his brother down off a cross he got blown up on. The German commander did the same thing as this dude was crawling through the field, holds up his hand and gives a slight nod. And for a brief moment the war was done and everyone just watched.