How's the translation project coming along?

#1TIDQPosted 12/12/2011 8:53:57 AM
Someone mentioned there was a translation going in an old thread, but I haven't heard about it in a long time. Is it still being worked on?
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cA6j1DmXBE
S&R's co-#1 Les Miles fan
#2Cramius_AudreyPosted 12/13/2011 11:07:46 AM
It's still going, one of them said, the first patch MAY be released at summer 2012.
You better occupy yourself with other game until that.
#3hailnickgriffinPosted 12/13/2011 12:02:09 PM
Supposedly they are going to insert the english objection sprites and redub the voice clips. Part of me wishes they didn't bother with all of that and instead just translate the script! But the final product in the end will be far superior.
#4Ivan_CroftPosted 12/13/2011 5:54:43 PM
From what I gather, I think they're still trying to figure some stuff out -- and then things should progress a bit faster.
---
"And beyond myriad rebirths, the demise of the soul awaits."
- Hrist Valkyrie
#5TIDQ(Topic Creator)Posted 12/23/2011 10:14:35 AM
I'm actually not that impatient. Just as long as it gets done, I'll be happy. Good to hear it hasn't stalled yet.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cA6j1DmXBE
S&R's co-#1 Les Miles fan
#6Vaztor71Posted 12/31/2011 8:06:27 PM
They really should just translate the text, other relevant aspects and release that. Going through all this extra effort really is unnecessary. Pokemon releases in Japan and has an English patch almost instantly, and that's a game you can play without even knowing the language. The fact that we won't see anything from this after so long is just ridiculous. I'm not trying to knock them and I appreciate them for doing it certainly, but there's really no reason why it should take that long and be this intensive.
---
http://vaztor.blogspot.com. Brawl is the best game ever.
http://i.imgur.com/MvHlH.jpg
#7MadHatteressPosted 1/1/2012 7:30:02 AM
Vaztor71 posted...
They really should just translate the text, other relevant aspects and release that. Going through all this extra effort really is unnecessary. Pokemon releases in Japan and has an English patch almost instantly, and that's a game you can play without even knowing the language. The fact that we won't see anything from this after so long is just ridiculous. I'm not trying to knock them and I appreciate them for doing it certainly, but there's really no reason why it should take that long and be this intensive.

But the text DOES matter in the Ace Attorney games and there is a lot of it. Plus, there could be some translation issues if they encountered subjects that westerners might not be familiar with. Maybe they're taking the Capcom route and Americanizing it.

There really isn't a whole lot of difficult dialog in the Pokemon games since they're meant to be easy for children to read. It's also a much popular franchise, so there's most likely a much bigger team that works on those.

If you think it's taking too long, then translate it yourself. I'd rather have to wait then not be able to play this at all. I haven't been this saddened by a game not being released here since Soul Hackers.
---
You wronged us, Capcom, make it Wright!
#8apollooooPosted 1/3/2012 1:41:56 AM
i understand why it take so long to to translate games like this. the series always had awesome writing and awesome translation, with only awesome writing but lame translation, this game is trash. i would wait for 2 years as long it's going to be good
---
As she is beautiful, she's unpredictable
Damned irresistible, is it plausible to hate her - miss impossible
#9Darkmoon27Posted 1/7/2012 3:00:42 PM
And to be fair, the person hacking the game *usually* doesn't know Japanese. They get the script dumped out of the game, get it to play nice with English, and get the script back into the game. Some games don't react nicely to English text and have to be reworked a fair bit to work properly.

Stuff like replacing the objection voice clips and graphics is something that the hacker can do during the downtime while waiting for the scripts and such, so it's really not going to extend how long it takes to complete.

Same with dubbing any voices they can't re-use clips from, really. Can be done while the translation is being done by other parties. Also, the script can't be half-assed, because it's vital to the gameplay. A translation mistake can easily make the actual solutions make no sense.

I don't really follow Pokemon and their translations, but aren't most of those usually just preliminary menu hacks and such, so you can navigate menus and then they usually don't bother with the actual dialogue?
#10bybyrPosted 1/8/2012 8:05:00 AM
the hardest thing to translate in ace attorney games are the punny jokes, the translators have to think the cultural corresponding pun to ensure the audience will understand it. they may also be divided whether they will translate the japanese name or keep it intact.