Sad but excited, anyone else out there like that?

#1Tenma777Posted 4/30/2012 1:08:36 AM
I rarely post on gamefaqs anymore but I couldnt help but to share my thoughts and hear others. I just saw all 6 videos available on the main website, I only saw the first one that got released a long time ago, heard it was kinect only and though tit was a joke and never took any of this seriously. That is, until I saw the videos.

But still, ok, so kinect only, no controller? Sad but understandable in this new era of video gaming.... no (or less) experimentation, higher overhead, more expensive manufacturing (maybe not on the line, but the machinery to set it all up and the people still cost a lot) and gas prices being so expensive makes big gigantic controllers for one game really impractical. Sad stuff.

....................So here I go to my point. Am I the only person who's extremely grateful they made this game, even though its kinect only, even if its the only way the Capcom producer was able to get his way this time?

Call me a hopeless optimistic but I really hope that if this game becomes a hit.... which it wont, but if it does, that maybe another REAL Steel BAttalion game will come out with an actual controller... and this time it will be USB so it will be able to be used for a ton of stuff.

Anywya, that is the optimist in me speaking. I know its unrealistic but still...... I love Stee Battalion and I have 2 controllers to this day. Just wondering what you all think.
#2TheoryofJusticePosted 4/30/2012 3:48:02 AM
Tenma777 posted...
I rarely post on gamefaqs anymore but I couldnt help but to share my thoughts and hear others. I just saw all 6 videos available on the main website, I only saw the first one that got released a long time ago, heard it was kinect only and though tit was a joke and never took any of this seriously. That is, until I saw the videos.

But still, ok, so kinect only, no controller? Sad but understandable in this new era of video gaming.... no (or less) experimentation, higher overhead, more expensive manufacturing (maybe not on the line, but the machinery to set it all up and the people still cost a lot) and gas prices being so expensive makes big gigantic controllers for one game really impractical. Sad stuff.

....................So here I go to my point. Am I the only person who's extremely grateful they made this game, even though its kinect only, even if its the only way the Capcom producer was able to get his way this time?

Call me a hopeless optimistic but I really hope that if this game becomes a hit.... which it wont, but if it does, that maybe another REAL Steel BAttalion game will come out with an actual controller... and this time it will be USB so it will be able to be used for a ton of stuff.

Anywya, that is the optimist in me speaking. I know its unrealistic but still...... I love Stee Battalion and I have 2 controllers to this day. Just wondering what you all think.

The game is going to use both Kinect and the standard controller. It's not an ideal setup; I'd prefer a stick. But, I think you're right. We're probably lucky this game exists at all. I highly doubt this game will replace more in-depth mech games like Armored Core V or fill the void left by Microsoft's refusal to put out a proper MechWarrior sequel. However, it looks like it could be fun. If nothing else, it appears From might have figured out how to use Kinect to make a convincing cockpit experience.
---
The principles of justice are chosen behind a veil of ignorance.
#3HermanTuttlePosted 4/30/2012 6:02:41 PM
I'm less depressed by the Kinect than I am by the horrifically shlocky, meatheaded Call of Duty storyline and cinematics.

The original Steel Battalion was cold and emotionless as hell, and that's the way it should be. In a game about mecha, I shouldn't see a single human outside of dialogue portraits and mission briefings. This is what already ruined the Bayformers movies. I don't want to be forming bromances with these virtual guys in the cockpit and high-fiving the air. I want to have nothing to rely on but my own technical skill and nerves of steel. I want to be one with the machine.
#4Tenma777(Topic Creator)Posted 5/2/2012 2:57:17 PM
^

I totally relate to what you're saying, and I feel like the whole gimmick of "game mechanics" of dealing with your crew could be... well, really gimmicky and detracting from the experience.

But on the other hand, even though the first game was cold and emotionless (which I liked, much like Armored Core) I think showing some people in the game was good. This game shows people and I think that element wont hurt.

If SB1 was all about becoming one on a single-pilot mech, this will just be a game that simulates being one with the mech as a TEAM. Once again I don't look forward to the gameplay element of dealing with other people, but I think that if you're the commander of a mech machine and it had other people in it that you see really briefly (maybe when you order them to load ammo or give them other one-way orders, or they relay you vital battlefield info, that'll be really cool. It'll be even more like a tank simulator than the first one, and I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.

**Don't forget the first game also had people too, even if it was just as tiny characters on the screen (like the ones you could pick up in the first game!) And they sometimes showed up, even off-screen, as characters that spoke and interacted with you and your machine equipment as staff or just battle buddies in the area. (I'm not specificaly talking about your really plasticy looking Black drill seargeant cut out guy either)
#5CharliesixPosted 5/4/2012 7:45:10 PM
HermanTuttle posted...
I'm less depressed by the Kinect than I am by the horrifically shlocky, meatheaded Call of Duty storyline and cinematics.

The original Steel Battalion was cold and emotionless as hell, and that's the way it should be. In a game about mecha, I shouldn't see a single human outside of dialogue portraits and mission briefings. This is what already ruined the Bayformers movies. I don't want to be forming bromances with these virtual guys in the cockpit and high-fiving the air. I want to have nothing to rely on but my own technical skill and nerves of steel. I want to be one with the machine.

What are you, the Terminator ? lol
---
"Go out there and give them hell. You were born to do this." -Garrus Vakarian
#6HermanTuttlePosted 5/4/2012 9:53:46 PM(edited)
Despite my rabid hyperbole there, I'm just someone who wants mecha games to continue being something more than just slower/clunkier versions of the brainless first and third-person shooters currently flooding the market. That's all. I'm not quite Tetsuo the Iron Man yet, thankfully.

The gameplay trailer doesn't show off the Kinect features at all, and gives the strong impression that the only controls you'll need most of the time are the sticks and triggers. It looks like a crippled Wolfenstein 3D in HD. I'm sure the entire game won't be like that but God, what a terrible way to show it off.
#7synthetiksinPosted 5/8/2012 9:55:07 AM
Dude, it's a mech game. Aside from SB1's fifty-foot-building feel, it was basically just a shooter with huge consequences. It had QTE's too, falling, you had to double stomp on the break pedal (or jump one), radio frequencies, using wipers, such and such. As long as the ride induces claustrophobia, every hit feels like "holy ****!" impact, it requires skill to be agile with the mech, and weapons need precision to be effective, I don't care if I have to punch someone in the face so he can load the next shell into the cannon.