Best stats/weapon combo for melee class?

#1TPfan89Posted 9/30/2011 4:43:19 PM
Okay I tried a melee class in demon souls and failed miserably. I have a few questions that if anyone can answer Id really appreciate it.

First: do you need a range weapon in order to beat some bosses?

Second: what stats are the best to raise?

and last: is the wanderer or bandit better for a melee class?
---
Pokemon Black: 5243 1796 5267
#2ExeneskPosted 9/30/2011 4:49:37 PM
First: There's a boss that ranged would help with, but it's not the only method (I only used melee, it was hard but doable). There's probably more though.

Second: The best stat to raise isn't just one, there are many good stats. If you're wearing heavy armor and plan on using your shield to block attacks, endurance is a must for instance.

Last: Doesn't matter, I took pyromancer but am building towards a melee-oriented character. Knight though had the starting armor I wanted, not that I didn't find it later (also found the improved elite version).

Best weapon that will serve you well for a while would be the flying drake sword, won't tell you how to get it (since you'll find many videos on the matter) but it's pretty easy.
#3FedEx_CorpPosted 9/30/2011 5:00:24 PM
Probably Dex.
You get to use curved sword/shield combo and do high dmg with bow.
#4TPfan89(Topic Creator)Posted 9/30/2011 10:25:23 PM
so the stats I would focus on would be ......str,dex,endurance ? and just touching up on other stats when necessary? would this be viable for pvp as well?
---
#5Renegade109Posted 9/30/2011 11:10:59 PM(edited)
Vitality and Endurance are typically essential for an effective melee build, on a first playthrough I'd recommend raising these for survivability first, it will likely save you unnecessary frustration. From the info that's already come out, it looks like the HP and Stamina figures are similar if not identical to their progression in Demon's Souls, at least 30 Vitality for strict PvE, 50 Vitality for PvP, 40 Endurance for max Stamina.

Then you're free to focus on one of the following: Strength, Dex, Magic, Faith.

Of course you'll be wanting to invest in at least 20 in Faith (assuming you aren't Faith-based to begin with) and a high enough Attunement investment for the use of Second Chance and any Weapon buffs you wish to use.

When more information surfaces, breakpoints for attack speed and rolling effectiveness will be calculated relative to the amount of Strength and Dex required for each "level", until then, the specifics are a bit hazy.

Edit: I've just been told that that the information regarding the existence of Second Chance in DkS has been pulled from the JP wiki, take my earlier comment regarding that with a grain of salt.
---
http://i.imgur.com/PELu7.png
What are YOU playing?
#6TPfan89(Topic Creator)Posted 9/30/2011 10:55:04 PM
okay so let me see if I understand,

I want to invest in vit/endurance at first. Once I get my vit and endurance high enough I want to focus on dex/str/faith but when should I get my faith to 20? Is there a guide that explains in what order to level stats because thats where Im most confused. Last question, is it possible to make a pyromancer focusing on magic but also have him be decent with 1h weapon and shield?
---
#7Cmac4Posted 9/30/2011 10:56:17 PM
TPfan89 posted...
okay so let me see if I understand,

I want to invest in vit/endurance at first. Once I get my vit and endurance high enough I want to focus on dex/str/faith but when should I get my faith to 20? Is there a guide that explains in what order to level stats because thats where Im most confused. Last question, is it possible to make a pyromancer focusing on magic but also have him be decent with 1h weapon and shield?

The game isnt even out yet in america so no theres no "Guide" to tell you how to build your own character...Its really not hard to expierement just play the game and worry about Min/maxing later.
#8SoCiaLSTiGMaPosted 9/30/2011 10:59:54 PM
Would you like someone to just come over and play the game for you as well?
---
PSN: Xx--vicious--xX
#9JitawaPosted 9/30/2011 11:09:43 PM
If you'll be meleeing, stamina/vitality are important. You can do str or dex for combat proficiency... depending on weapon preference. Really, you might need some points in both for some weapon reqs. Most of the streamers I've seen have done really well with str-based weapons. /shrug
#10Untouchable_GodPosted 9/30/2011 11:10:57 PM
SoCiaLSTiGMa posted...
Would you like someone to just come over and play the game for you as well?

Lmfao...

but the best way to level up is to level up with the equipment/magic you wanna use..and when your not doing that just put random points in to VIT,End, and DEX