How to build a pyromancer?

#1slysaltPosted 10/8/2011 5:24:22 AM
So, reading around on this board, i've been reading that pyromancers shouldn't put to much into intelligence because of the way the spells work? Is that correct? How should one be built then?

Also the trainer for more spells i'm told is in the depths area, how would you get there from the undead burg? Ringing the bell first?
#2slysalt(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2011 5:27:05 AM
Also also, any particular equipment i should be on the lookout for? Using the regular hand axe isn't doing as great as it used to around level 10+ or so
#3AnnihilatorSolPosted 10/8/2011 5:27:52 AM
Most people will suggest getting the drake sword as it doesn't scale with any stat (good base damage), it can help you get through 1/4th of the game..
#4Isaac_RedfieldPosted 10/8/2011 5:35:13 AM(edited)
Once you have access to the depths, you can get a shortcut that leads to Firelink Shrine. Once you enter the depths you can pretty much rescue the Pryro trainer at the start (he's in a room off to the side of the main area that has a Butcher and then a second is in that room). After you rescue him, he teleports to Firelink once you reload the game.

I started my lvl 41 Pyro over because I ended up in the Demon ruins and...well, I won't say exactly how, but my Pyro flame broke and I was getting pwned without the ability to cast big damaging spells, so I started over (I wanted to rebuild him anyway). I ended up getting 16 STR/13 Dex to start with. This lets you use the Drake sword, a bow and also the Zweihander. Then I raised VIT and END to 16.

From there it's a matter of a) do you ever want to use even a decent bow? b) are you strictly wanting to be melee/Pyro or c) do you want to add sorcery spells?

INT does absolutely NOTHING for a Pyro, so only add it if you want to add non Pyro spells. There is an area about maybe midway through that allows you to farm some ghosts and three NPCs for a pretty large amount of experience, and one of them drops a pretty decent bow that requires 16 (19?) DEX, so it might be good to raise your DEX to at least that high.

You can actually raise your Pyro Flame to S rank before the first vendor disappears. You just need to farm the area in the Dark Garden that lets you farm things; the shortcut requires an initial investment of 20k souls, but that's quickly recouped.
#5slysalt(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2011 5:41:21 AM
Thank you for the answers sir!

I honestly hadent considered non pyro spells, but maybe i will, so i should raise attunment slots then?

A bow sounds handy to have around, but i would mainly just melee/flaming people. I'm not having very good luck with weapon drops so the only decent weapon i have is a mace i found that does slightly more damage then the axe, but makes the roll slower which is bad. Everything else i find i seem to not have enough of whatever stat it requires.

I'm still pretty early in so perhaps i'll just start over and rebuild with not so much an emphasis on intelligence.
#6Isaac_RedfieldPosted 10/8/2011 5:52:59 AM(edited)
You definitely want to raise Attunement to allow for at least four spell slots. It's incredibly good early on. This allows you to use 16 fireballs (2x slot) and 16 combustion (1x slot) with an additional 1 slot spell (i.e. Fire Orb or Iron Skin). Might possibly want to raise it even more later on, but I haven't been to the second trainer yet or joined the Covenant, so I don't know the requirements on the later spells.

Honestly though, playing a Pyro requires A LOT of grinding just to raise up your Pyro flame. In a way this is OK since it doesn't even use any stats, and it's not eating away at your level count or useful stats, but it's still kind of a slow burner. Once you get at least +10 to your Flame, it's pretty sick, but then you may as well spend a few more hours to get it to +15 just for the hell of it. You end up doing 355+ fireballs and ~550 Fire Orb. Then there's greater fireball and the chaos spell to look forward to.
#7Weiki WeikiPosted 10/8/2011 5:52:24 AM
rescue pyro trainer from depths? where are depths? is that the other path you can take off firelink shrine? the one that goes down the stairs?
---
Currently Playing: Dark Souls, League of Legends, Fallout: NV,
#8Isaac_RedfieldPosted 10/8/2011 5:56:56 AM(edited)
Weiki Weiki posted...
rescue pyro trainer from depths? where are depths? is that the other path you can take off firelink shrine? the one that goes down the stairs?

You have to kill the Carpa Demon that's in the Undead Burg basement to get the key to the Depths. I don't even know if you have to kill the Gargoyle first, but I did that anyway just to get it out of the way. For the Carpa, the biggest help is having a shield that blocks 100% physical. You're probably going to die 3-10x though until you learn his patterns. After that though he's pretty easy. And you end up fighting mini versions all over the place later on, so it's something to get down.

You can also exploit this boss too if you are really having major problems with it, but I'm not going to say what it is. It's easy enough to figure out. :)
#9YgdradPosted 10/8/2011 5:59:14 AM
"So, reading around on this board, i've been reading that pyromancers shouldn't put to much into intelligence because of the way the spells work? Is that correct? How should one be built then?

Also the trainer for more spells i'm told is in the depths area, how would you get there from the undead burg? Ringing the bell first?"

You'll want as much attunement as you're comfortable with(50 max), lets you carry more spells, you'll want to pump lots of souls into your flame to power your spells up, for the rest, build into whatever else you want.

Hint: parry followed by combustion riposte is devastating.

For the way to reach the basic pyromancy trainer:
<SPOILERS>

You'll want to beat the capra demon(the annoying goat-headed thing with 2 dogs), he will give you the keys to the depths.

<More bigger spoilers about pyromancy and covenants>

If you want to focus on pyromancy it is a good idea to find the secret room behind a fake wall(attack it and it disappears) after the room with the second bell(after the Queelaag fight at the end of blighttown). There you need to answer yes to the egg-bearing abomination and he'll let you through(don't kill him), then enter the chaos witch covenant by talking to the firekeeper/spider thing, feeding it humanity lets you go up in rank in the covenant and gives you better versions of pyromancer spells.

Also, in the swamp outside the Queelaag fight area, there is a witch sitting next to a pillar, she can teach you a bunch more pyromancy spells, I think she appears only if you joined the chaos covenant or if you picked the witch ring as a gift, not sure anymore.
#10theniahPosted 10/8/2011 6:04:22 AM
yea once you get the basement key which i believe is right behind the red drake if memory serves me correct you can take the door thats right at the beginning of the bridge near the npc. This leads you to the lower part of the burg and the capra demon fight kill him and get the depths key which is the locked door at the bottom of the stairway that leads to the shortcut back to firelink shrine. (this is also next to the capra demon boss, take a right at the grey mist...go down the stairs kill 2 ninjas head up the stairway for shortcut, or use the key on the door right across the stairway (little door) to access the depths.