Soul of the Moonlight Butterfly - What to do with it

#1Viper114Posted 10/17/2011 7:13:59 AM
I'm debating whether or not I should save the soul for a forge or just use it for souls. According to one of the wikis, it says the soul is used to make either the Moonlight Butterfly Horn spear or the Crystal Ring Shield. I've seen the stats for the shield, and while the attack looks nice, I'm not certain the defensive stats of 70/90/70/40 would work well for me (I'd rather have a shield with 100 Physical block since a lot of enemies do physical damage), it would seem to be more situational than anything. I've also seen the stats for the spear, too, and it does look pretty nifty with the 110/0/0/100 stats and needing only the 12/0/14/0 to wield, but I'm not certain I plan to upgrade a spear up to +10 when I already have plans to upgrade other things first unless I can find an easy spot to farm Titanite easily so I can get it to +10.

What do you think I should do with it?
---
"We are all legends...our only choice is how to end the tale."
#2Kirby Driver RebornPosted 10/17/2011 7:15:26 AM
if you plan to platinum, you'll need both.

if you don't care about that, the shield is amazing for cheesing fights you are having trouble with.
---
Fly Eagles Fly, On the Road to Victory!
http://last.fm/user/xdevilbunny || http://rateyourmusic.com/~VelociBrad
#3JacknicklsonPosted 10/17/2011 7:15:42 AM
I would never consume a boss's soul but thats me

If you dont care about trophies and those items dont interest you, then nom-nom my friend
---
http://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy/78/legendofjerz.png
#4gna647Posted 10/17/2011 7:15:55 AM
Crystal Ring Shield is a boss killer. Go for that.
---
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lslzdjWc661qekt6no1_250.gif
#5TheBlueDeathPosted 10/17/2011 7:16:30 AM
Viper114 posted...
I'm debating whether or not I should save the soul for a forge or just use it for souls. According to one of the wikis, it says the soul is used to make either the Moonlight Butterfly Horn spear or the Crystal Ring Shield. I've seen the stats for the shield, and while the attack looks nice, I'm not certain the defensive stats of 70/90/70/40 would work well for me (I'd rather have a shield with 100 Physical block since a lot of enemies do physical damage), it would seem to be more situational than anything. I've also seen the stats for the spear, too, and it does look pretty nifty with the 110/0/0/100 stats and needing only the 12/0/14/0 to wield, but I'm not certain I plan to upgrade a spear up to +10 when I already have plans to upgrade other things first unless I can find an easy spot to farm Titanite easily so I can get it to +10.

What do you think I should do with it?

Both have their uses. Crystal Ring Shield will be used for slow and situational enemies while the spear will probably be used till you can reach your endgame weapon.
---
PSN: Swordsman001
#6KougeruPosted 10/17/2011 7:17:46 AM
crystal ring shield's L2 will take your right hand damage and multiply it . people say 2.5 times but for me its closer to 6 times (deals 2000 damage when my right hand attack is 330). it makes the game very boring
---
XBL/PSN-Kougeru
#7Viper114(Topic Creator)Posted 10/17/2011 7:19:13 AM
Nah, trying to get EVERY SINGLE TROPHY for a game is just not my thing. The closest I've ever come was with inFamous 1, where I got everything except 2, but that's about it.

It does look like against some fights that primarily use Magic and Fire, the shield would be good to use with those defensive ratings. But I guess the question is, will there come a point where its defense against those things becomes invaluable? At the moment, as I progress through the Depths, not many enemies use Magic or Fire specifically.
---
#8PPPPLAASSUMAPosted 10/17/2011 7:23:41 AM(edited)
I'm actually using the Moonlight Butterfly Horn right now, and it makes me question how exactly damage is calculated in this game...

It's at +5, scaled to my INT up to exactly 300 magic damage (total), and somehow does more damage than the lightning spear (on normal enemies, don't know about online).

It's strange, I'll get disappointed with the damage it's dealing, switch to the supposedly OP lightning spear, and then deal less damage with the LS than the MBH.

Still don't quite know if it was the right choice making the horn, but it's definitely the best weapon I got with only 16/16 STR/DEX.

I guess it all comes down to what resistances the enemy I'm attacking has.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtxCr5ju2EE&feature=related
#9Viper114(Topic Creator)Posted 10/17/2011 7:39:05 AM
Seems like a lot of people are suggesting the shield. Perhaps I could look at getting it with this soul instead of just using it. I just need to get a shield to +10. Does it matter which I go with? Will the Crystal Ring Shield suffer in any way if I go with some crappy shield?
---
#10Sp8cemanSpiffPosted 10/17/2011 7:43:32 AM
The shield isn't just a boss killer (in fact I thought it was more useful on regular enemies. Getting close to really big enemies always messes up my targeting) Great tool for farming souls quickly. Kinda sad how it even outdamages successful parries.
---
"If god didn't want us to eat in church, he would have made gluttony a sin." - Homer Simpson