Dragonslayer Spear worth it?

#1Sexy BeachPosted 10/22/2011 2:30:35 AM
Working on a Warrior of Sunlight character. Considering the Dragonslayer Spear but I've heard mixed results. I've heard it scales terribly and it's attack are bad. I've also heard that it's incredible and the best faith spear.

My main problem is the stats needed to use it. 24 str and 24 dex just seem really high for a build that already needs loads of Faith/End/Vit and Attunment. I could go to 16 str and 16 dex and use other weapons that may be comparable if it's damage is really that bad.
---
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/816/sexybeach3lh4.jpg
#2KyubiRulez04Posted 10/22/2011 2:40:00 AM
Just like every other weapon except Lightning *Generic Popular Weapon* +5 has comparatively very low stats until you start getting into the hundreds with your SL. If you're going for high level PvP it'll scale up pretty close to the "best" weapons, but if like me you plan to stay around 50-ish to find more co-op, it's attack will definitely be sub-par. On the other hand it has possibly the best reach in the game, and the move set, while not necessarily "better" than a standard moveset, are far more fun and really badass.
---
"Life is a series of choices. I choose to win."
PRAISE THE SUN!!!
#3TarixiaPosted 10/22/2011 2:43:15 AM
The spear at +5 is pretty weak in physical and lightning damage.

[HOWEVER]

It's R2 attack is a slow charged lightning bolt that DOES cripple things IF you manage to get it to fire, and IF it lands on the target.

Comparatively to a L. Spear +5 it's weaker.
#4Sexy Beach(Topic Creator)Posted 10/22/2011 2:45:55 AM
If that's the case are there any particular Divine/Occult weapons you recommend? I'm trying to stay away from Greatswords on this character as much as possible, though I'm strongly considering the Greatsword of Astorias however the INT requirements are really bothering me.
---
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/816/sexybeach3lh4.jpg
#5awesomeunoPosted 10/22/2011 2:48:16 AM
just go with the demon's spear.
---
PHD in Awesomeness.<life goal, not an ego trip.
"You stink of bourbon." "Well, you stink of mediocrity, what's worse?"- The Good Guys
#6KyubiRulez04Posted 10/22/2011 2:48:21 AM
Divine Uchigatana has served me well. If you wanna go off-beat, divine Avelyn with heavy bolts works surprisingly well.
---
"Life is a series of choices. I choose to win."
PRAISE THE SUN!!!
#7TarixiaPosted 10/22/2011 10:59:40 AM
Quelaag's Furysword
Greatsword of Arstoris (Divine or Cursed works wonders)
Greatsword of Greatking (NG+ only)

Those are all very nice weapons. But if you're looking for elemental Weapons, I've found that my Divine Pike +10 is deliciously fun and deadly. But you have to go through the Tomb of the Giant's to get Divine +10 items which can be a pain in itself.

No pain, No gain as they say.
#8TheBlueDeathPosted 10/22/2011 11:00:38 AM
Sexy Beach posted...
Working on a Warrior of Sunlight character. Considering the Dragonslayer Spear but I've heard mixed results. I've heard it scales terribly and it's attack are bad. I've also heard that it's incredible and the best faith spear.

My main problem is the stats needed to use it. 24 str and 24 dex just seem really high for a build that already needs loads of Faith/End/Vit and Attunment. I could go to 16 str and 16 dex and use other weapons that may be comparable if it's damage is really that bad.

The weapon is very lacking in PVE due to lack of power.

However in PVP, due to the range of said weapon, it shuts down most players pretty badly unless they have max roll speed or the flipping ring.
---
PSN: Swordsman001