Making a new Sorcery-focused character, what gear to wear?

#1FailbaddonPosted 11/3/2011 5:55:20 AM
Thinking of using an Enchanted weapon, and eventually maybe the Moonlight Greatswrd from Seathe. Maybe even Velka's Rapier.

I'm more curious about what to wear. I suppose the Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring is pretty much a must, along with the Dusk Crown. How about the chestpiece/gloves/leggings? Are there any that boost Sorcery in any way?
#2xHowlxPosted 11/3/2011 6:00:38 AM
I`m using the Moonlover greatsword. I`ve tried out other weapons like claymore, with crystal enhancements. Although the claymore with enhancement does a solid 150 more damage, I just can`t get over how awesome the Moonlover`s R1 and R2 is. Defiantly go with it if you`re comfortable with the moveset.

As for appeal, Witches top looks awesome.
My female mage has Witches top, Giants gloves, Aquainted skirt, and dusk crown. Looks very cute wielding a humongous sword.
---
\0/
#3egpNoodlezPosted 11/3/2011 6:02:23 AM(edited)
I used to use Dusk Crown, but TBQH once you're high level ditch it. I was losing 100 magic defense with it on, with Ornstein' Helm I gain another 100 magic defense. That became a factor to why I lost a mage versus mage fight, chip damage of their Moonlight Greatsword exceeded mine =_=

At 40 END and ring of divine favour&protection, I roll Ornstein's Helm, Paladin Armour, Black Iron Glvoes, Antiquated Skirt, pre-patch build of course. Gold magic :D

On the PvE end, If you're adamant about boosting sorceries, I guess that ring that lets you boost them along with Crown of Dusk will give you a lot of magic up. I don't recall any other apparel that raises magic power. You'll be using standard catalyst for ages, since Logan's only improves magic adjust at about 40 INT. Tin Crystal is good if you don't mind the half charges.

Oh, and Velka's Rapier is damn awesome. Pokey, or constant pressure, it's just fun and different. Be ready to switch out to greatsword when you have to though, 2h 100% magic damage is quite a powerhouse still.
---
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e277/egpNoodlez/BBE_40.jpg
http://www.ps3trophies.com/card/11/egpNoodlez.png
#4Failbaddon(Topic Creator)Posted 11/3/2011 6:07:06 AM
Yeah I'm figuring on using Logan's Catalyst eventually, since I'm shooting for at least 50 INT.

So, no apparel other than Dusk Crown boosts magic eh? Guess I'll just go with the best weight/protection ratio as always then.
#5XbladezPosted 11/3/2011 6:08:35 AM
Oolacyle catalyst til your high int is a lot better than most other catalysts for low level mages
If your against the dusk crown then gwyndolin's entire set is supposed to have a magic dmg boost as well as better mage def.
---
"Peace > Stagnation > Death < Violence < War"
hence why death is inevitable
#6LivesPosted 11/3/2011 6:12:59 AM
I like the Tin Banishment catalyst if you have access to it. It can be found in Blighttown I think, so it can be available early in game, and it scales with E in strength, D in dex, and A in intelligence.... but yeah if pure faith, no doubt I think Logan's can't be beaten with it's S stat scaling at the moment..... or the Tin Crystallization Catalyst, which is also S in Int, but you have to kill Big Hat Logan while he is hollow at Duke's Archives (after you buy all his sorcery and items, and kill Seath, return to first room you fought Seath to fight hollow Logan).
#7Failbaddon(Topic Creator)Posted 11/3/2011 6:15:12 AM(edited)
XbladezDW posted...
Oolacyle catalyst til your high int is a lot better than most other catalysts for low level mages
If your against the dusk crown then gwyndolin's entire set is supposed to have a magic dmg boost as well as better mage def.

Didn't know about Gwyndolin's, thanks! But you have to wear the entire set to get the bonus, don't you? Is the bonus worth the flimsy protection?

I figure if I wear the Dusk Crown, I can at least mitigate my squishiness with other armor pieces.
#8Failbaddon(Topic Creator)Posted 11/3/2011 6:30:48 AM
I just thought of something. DEX increases casting speed, right? How much DEX should I shoot for?
#9SeikenZPosted 11/3/2011 6:41:33 AM
Failbaddon posted...
I just thought of something. DEX increases casting speed, right? How much DEX should I shoot for?

what
#10Failbaddon(Topic Creator)Posted 11/3/2011 6:46:26 AM
It does, doesn't? Though after looking at a Youtube video comparison the difference seems negligible.