Divine vs Occult?

#1LordMordethPosted 11/4/2011 3:52:10 AM(edited)
Been farming them white chunks in the Tomb of Giants and finally gotten enough to make either +10 divine weapon or +5 occult weapon.

Granted i haven't found the ember that allows making of occult weapons yet, but i'll get to that eventually and when i do it'd be nice to know the differences between the paths.

Have heard that the occult path is not worth it, that it makes your weapons weaker than the divine ones by changing scaling or some suchness, any truth to that?

EDIT: Basically, what i want to know is that is it worth for faith builds to go down the occult branch or not?
---
If the above post offended you, chances are you needed to be offended.
#2RocketPunchPosted 11/4/2011 3:50:35 AM
Occult weapons scale better but at the the final ranks, Divine usually beats out Occult by a small amount of damage. With the scaling changes coming in the patch, though, who knows.
---
Now you see! Mazinger Z's power!
#3TheBlueDeathPosted 11/4/2011 3:50:52 AM
LordMordeth posted...
Been farming them white chunks in the Tomb of Giants and finally gotten enough to make either +10 divine weapon or +5 occult weapon.

Granted i haven't found the ember that allows making of occult weapons yet, but i'll get to that eventually and when i do it'd be nice to know the differences between the paths.

Have heard that the occult path is not worth it, that it makes your weapons weaker than the divine ones by changing scaling or some suchness, any truth to that?

The divine path matches its damage, even at high faith.

Go divine. There is no reason not to.

EVEN with the patch, occult takes stupid amounts of faith to pull ahead, just by alittle.
---
PSN: Swordsman001
#4LordMordeth(Topic Creator)Posted 11/4/2011 3:54:00 AM
TheBlueDeath posted...
EVEN with the patch, occult takes stupid amounts of faith to pull ahead, just by alittle.

Oh, exactly what i was afraid of.. as my cleric has 30 faith currently, probably not enough to out damage divine weapons then?

Meh, but need to make one for the trophy anyways.. now if i only could find another white slab..
---
#5Merex07Posted 11/4/2011 3:54:21 AM
IMO i'd rather occult give you health regen or another effect. Scaling vs higher base damage is boring cause every other weapon upgrade path does that:

Chaos vs fire
Enchanted vs magic
Occult vs Divine
Normal vs Raw

What a boring upgrade system!
#6TheBlueDeathPosted 11/4/2011 3:54:59 AM
LordMordeth posted...
TheBlueDeath posted...

Oh, exactly what i was afraid of.. as my cleric has 30 faith currently, probably not enough to out damage divine weapons then?

Meh, but need to make one for the trophy anyways.. now if i only could find another white slab..

At 50 faith, the divine isn't outdamaging the occult path.
---
#7professor xPosted 11/4/2011 4:15:09 AM
Just to clarify, out damage means like 10-15 damage ... and that's total AR, not actual damage. Meaning its pointless. Basically, at low faith <30, divine > occult. At high faith, divine = occult.
For people who just want to beat catatombs, they will make divine weapon regardless. For faith builds, close your eyes and pick one, it doesn't matter.
---
Reality is defined by your imagination, the catch is to convince yourself what is and what is not.
#8LordMordeth(Topic Creator)Posted 11/4/2011 4:15:44 AM
TheBlueDeath posted...
LordMordeth posted...
TheBlueDeath posted...

But before 50 it is?
---
#9TheBlueDeathPosted 11/4/2011 4:17:00 AM
LordMordeth posted...
TheBlueDeath posted...
LordMordeth posted...
TheBlueDeath posted...

But before 50 it is?

I'm sorry, I said that backwards.

Occult isn't outdamaging divine at 50.
---