Does using a parrying dagger make it easier?

#1AmonAgaresPosted 11/14/2011 12:58:10 PM
Or does it only bigger the crit you do?
#2JSasRaysPosted 11/14/2011 12:59:30 PM
put the parrying dagger in your left hand, with another weapon in your right (no shield). parrying dagger makes it easier to parry. you can parry with some weapons incase you didnt know
#3Xenigma_Posted 11/14/2011 1:01:18 PM
feels like it gives you a bigger window in which to parry successfully, yeah.
#4DuneManPosted 11/14/2011 1:01:28 PM
Small Shields in general improve the window of opportunity where you can 'catch' an opponents attack. From there the Buckler and Target Shield use a unique parrying animation that lasts longer, further improving your chances. I mention this because I haven't bothered with the Parrying Dagger in Dark Souls yet. If it shares an animation with regular Daggers then it likely has a bigger catch window. If it uses a special animation then that animation is likely a bit longer.
---
"I'd rather betray the world than let the world betray me." -Cao Cao
#5ElfergosPosted 11/14/2011 1:31:15 PM
I got invaded the other night by a thief build carrying a target shield and a dagger - bet he was pretty good at parrying, I just opted to use pyromancy...
#6Cannibal_PhishPosted 11/14/2011 1:34:38 PM
Parrying Dagger and the Target Shield have the longest parrying animation. Instead of the character whipping their arm about (like they do with Medium shield) the Dagger has a catch animation (where you see the character move the dagger in front of him then whip his arm), any attack within this longer animation can be parried, making it much easier to parry with the Target Shield or Dagger.

Though I am curious. Do dagger parries deal more damage than shield parries?
---
"There can be no justice so long as laws are absolute" -Captain Picard
#7squidward25Posted 11/14/2011 1:36:05 PM
Parrying dagger and target shield have the longest parrying windows. Might as well go for the dagger though because:

0.5 less weight

You can attack with it (though low dmg good interrupter, useless against poise however)

Theres no point in blocking if your going to use the target shield anyway besides a few very very specific situations.

Looks a lot cooler, + parrying animation is more badass.
#8squidward25Posted 11/14/2011 1:37:18 PM
Cannibal_Phish posted...
Parrying Dagger and the Target Shield have the longest parrying animation. Instead of the character whipping their arm about (like they do with Medium shield) the Dagger has a catch animation (where you see the character move the dagger in front of him then whip his arm), any attack within this longer animation can be parried, making it much easier to parry with the Target Shield or Dagger.

Though I am curious. Do dagger parries deal more damage than shield parries?

Ninja'd, all parries give you the same dmg tho.

Btw any1 know how long the window is for weapons like the shotel and painting guardian sword? Other curved swords with that cool flippy parry animation?
#9soggytoast11Posted 11/14/2011 1:38:22 PM
Elfergos posted...
I got invaded the other night by a thief build carrying a target shield and a dagger - bet he was pretty good at parrying, I just opted to use pyromancy...

All I have to say to this is...

lol Dark Souls PvP.
#10DuneManPosted 11/14/2011 1:38:46 PM
squidward25 posted...
Btw any1 know how long the window is for weapons like the shotel and painting guardian sword? Other curved swords with that cool flippy parry animation?

In my experience, it seems shorter, like only the first part of the animation counts and the rest is a 'hit me now' animation. The timing is different too. It will likely take some time for you to adjust if you want to use that animation.
---
"I'd rather betray the world than let the world betray me." -Cao Cao