After playing through / finishing Dark Souls, loaded up Demon's Souls again

#1AhrimanPosted 12/1/2011 6:12:18 PM
First time I'd played it in a year. It's a lot harder to find people playing, online has really thinned out but there are still people there. I used one of the last characters I made, an awesome BBS build decked out in Mephistopheles' rogue set. Tried to invade on 3-1, got summoned as someone's Old Monk which I'd almost forgotten about (can't think how many times I've watched that cutscene, ugh).

After playing through both and platinuming both, I can easily say that Demon's Souls is harder, especially on NG+. An arrow will one-shot my character if I don't have second chance on. I had trouble even getting through to kill the boss of 1-2, man. My favorite place to invade is at the end of 1-3, but for whatever reason I must have gotten bored with NG on this character so I rolled it over and I don't have it open yet, much less beaten to where I could invade from the 1-3 archstone.

Online seems to work better too generally, and it's a shame they didn't spring for servers this time around.

If you like this though, give it a shot because it's still great.
---
Chikubi ga itai. Hontou ni- Mattaku kayuku itai. Bakuzen to aamondo to niru...
#2HydroCannabinolPosted 12/1/2011 6:17:26 PM
Strange, I've been thinking Dark Souls is wayyy harder. I beat NG+ on Demon Soul's too.... Although it has been a while. Maybe I've forgotten how much I've died. >_<
---
PSN: Mind Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#3kKagariNoMorePosted 12/1/2011 6:17:49 PM
mmm I don't agree. I find Dark Souls harder. The only boss I found remotely gripping was the 1-3 boss and maybe the 2 maneaters on 3-2 (iirc). And that was probably because I used shield and spear. When I got the butchers knife everything else felt like butter.

ALTHOUGH:
That black butcher knife phantom in the swamps imo is the hardest mob to beat. lol
#4Ahriman(Topic Creator)Posted 12/1/2011 6:20:34 PM
Not the bosses, just the regular game. Ornstein and Smough I'd say are the hardest boss fight, except maybe Allant if you don't cheese him. I don't find myself one-shot with a crossbow bolt in Dark Souls though.
---
#5Hmag20Posted 12/1/2011 6:20:52 PM
kKagariNoMore posted...
That black butcher knife phantom in the swamps imo is the hardest mob to beat. lol

I have never bothered to beat him, ever.
---
PSN id: Hmag20: NA server
Currently playing: Dark Souls Class: Pyromancer
#6Ahriman(Topic Creator)Posted 12/1/2011 6:24:29 PM
That BP is actually female.
---
#7PHoToS999Posted 12/1/2011 6:27:18 PM
demons souls was definitely more difficult, imo.
but maybe it's just play style.
---
Silvy owns my pants...and my soul.
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j395/KingRizardon/Photoinanutshell.png
#8DemonHunter2013Posted 12/1/2011 7:00:32 PM
Post 1.05, Demon's Souls is definitely harder.

Pre 1.05, I think Dark Souls was harder, but it was a lot more cheap feeling to me than Demon's Souls.
#9McJephPosted 12/1/2011 7:02:41 PM
I agree Demon's Souls was harder.

Post or pre patch - doesn't matter.

Dark Souls post patch is pretty easy.
#10SirIlpalazzoPosted 12/1/2011 7:31:27 PM
Dark Souls is a lot harder than Demon's Souls. I don't get how Ornstein and Smough are easier than the False King, for example. On top of that, standard enemies are generally stronger and you have to mix up your playstyle more in Dark Souls.
---
I am sure people have many nice memories of yelling at their controllers.~Keiji Inafune