Spells early in the game

#1macho_man96Posted 12/29/2011 7:21:07 PM
Alright, so I'm new to the game. Started off as a pyromancer. Just wondering how I can get some decent spells early on? I'm up to the cathedral where you verse this knight standing in front of a fire keeper soul. I have no idea where I can get more spells at this stage. Thanks
---
Note to self...I love bacon.
#2zack7521Posted 12/29/2011 7:22:42 PM
After you kill the gargoyles, you can get to an area with a guy who sells magic spells. For pyromancy (magic, miracles, and pyromancy are different. Think of them as dark, holy, and fire), you'll have to go a bit further, into the depths.
---
PSN- smanish Email- zack7521@gmail.com
"Now, cower in awe! Shout in despair! Because my art... is an EXPLOSION!"
#3macho_man96(Topic Creator)Posted 12/29/2011 7:24:31 PM
Ah Bugger, thanks. Was hoping to have some new magic before fighting them. Cheers
---
May your soul rot in hell for eternity
#4zack7521Posted 12/29/2011 7:26:03 PM
NP. BTW, to get to the magic guy, you'll need the key from the undead merchant. I'm not sure if you need intelligence to talk to him, but magic spells need the stat intelligence.
---
PSN- smanish Email- zack7521@gmail.com
"Now, cower in awe! Shout in despair! Because my art... is an EXPLOSION!"
#5tmrw_nt_tdyPosted 12/29/2011 7:27:01 PM
like the 1st poster said, it's broken down into miracles (faith), magic (int) and pyro (no relative stat). and each are sold be different people. anyways, yeah find and rescue/help npcs as you play-through and you'll be able to buy them.

earliest you can for magic is rescuing logan's apprentice guy after you do gargoyles.
---
Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill thousands of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill millions of men and you are a hero, Kill them all, and you are a god.
#6macho_man96(Topic Creator)Posted 12/29/2011 7:30:13 PM
Ah k. Yea I'd be more for magic and pyromancy. Where would I find the undead merchant? Cheers for the help guys, much appreciated
---
#7Renegade_ZeroPosted 12/29/2011 7:34:10 PM
You can get new Pyromancy spells before Gargoyles actually.

Mind you, it's more work than simply beating the Gargoyles.

You need to go to lower Undead Burg (go to where you meet Solaire at the dragon bridge and there's a locked door - you should have found the keys now) (the keys were in front of the gate that you can shut in front of the cathedral). Explore Lower Undead burg, try to open all the shortcuts, then go enter the fog gate - it'll lead you to the Capra Demon. Defeat the Capra Demon and you'll get the keys to the Depths. Not far into the Depths, after you kill the second butcher, there's a room with a lot of barrels - the person selling Pyromancy spells in located here. Free him (roll through the barrels!) and he'll be in Firelink Shrine when you get back.

Or just fight the Gargoyles and do this later.

---
---
"Beyond the beaten path lies the absolute end. It matters not who you are, Death awaits you."
#8tmrw_nt_tdyPosted 12/29/2011 7:39:53 PM
like renegade said there are ways for you to get them earlier, but it's definitely more work on your part. and yeah you'll need to have 10int for logan's apprentice to sell you spells, while logan iirc will sell them to you w/o any regard to what your int is and same with pyro guy, he'll sell you pyro spells whatever stat/level you are. oh and he'll give you the pyro glove if you didn't have one.

the merchant for the key? he's in the undead burge. did you not meet him? anyways, remember the 1st bonfire at undead burge? it's the one you get to after you see the hellkite dragon for the 1st time. anyways, remember the 2 hollow soldiers with spears? there are crates to their left, destroy those and you'll find a ladder, and you should be meeting up with the undead merchant.
---
Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill thousands of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill millions of men and you are a hero, Kill them all, and you are a god.
#9macho_man96(Topic Creator)Posted 12/29/2011 7:40:15 PM
Ooo thanks very much
---
#10Neowulf13Posted 12/29/2011 7:45:51 PM
You can buy more pyromancies from Laurentius. You have to rescue him from the Depths. He is trapped insider a barrel. Make sure to roll into the barrel, as attacking will make him hostile. Quick note: You can't buy spells from him at the Depths. You have to wait until he gets back to Firelink Shrine.

After that, you can buy advanced pyromancies from Quelana. She is in the Blighttown swamp. Not exactly sure what makes her appear, but I'm pretty positive that she won't show up before killing Quelaag.

For magic, you have to rescue Griggs. He's at Lower Undead Burg. As another poster said, you'll need a key sold by the Undead Merchant. The Undead Merchant is in Upper Undead Burg, below two spear-wielding Hollows. It's very close to the Undead Burg Bonfire. Anyways, Griggs is also trapped in a barrel, and (like Laurentius) you have to wait until he gets back to Firelink Shrine to buy spells.

For advanced magic, you have to rescue Big Hat Logan. He is trapped in a cage inside Sen's Fortress. You will need the Cage Key (or the Master Key) to unlock the cage. Said cage is also in a secret area. You'll have to re-position a boulder trap to break a wall that will lead to the cage. It may sound confusing, and if it does, I apologize. Like the others, he will only sell spells in Firelink Shrine. Eventually, Logan will sell even more advanced spells inside the Duke's Archives (where you have to rescue him again).

Rickert, a blacksmith in New Londo Ruins, also sells a few basic spells.

For miracles, Petrus will sell you the basic ones. He can be found in Firelink Shrine.

Reah will sell advanced miracles. I haven't made a faith build (yet), so i don't know the specifics of how to make her appear and ensure her survival.

Well, hoped that helped. I know you said early in the game, but it always helps to know where to get advanced spells. Especially if you are dedicated to that branch of magic.
---
Rule #1 of GameFaqs: Opinion = Fact