Best Spear in the game?

#1Gmoney-Posted 2/27/2012 12:14:45 PM
Yeah. Being a spear player I'm curious about this. I searched and just find people arguing about it.

I have a Winged +3 lightning spear. I love it. It seems to do good. But what about the Demon spear?

Also, I totally forget how to do it but....If I wanted to create a divine weapon for the catacombs I need to bring it up to +5 then change it some how?

I forget all this stuff! Been a long time since I played.
---
The Plague from Hobo with a shotgun. Who has more teamwork?
PSN/XBL/MGO: RzaRecta357
#2Gmoney-(Topic Creator)Posted 2/27/2012 12:40:04 PM
Also. My buddy wants to use a katana and is using the Ugitana or whatever. It's +10 but doesn't seem to do much to the snakes in sens fortress. He needs a few good attacks.

What should he do with it?
---
The Plague from Hobo with a shotgun. Who has more teamwork?
PSN/XBL/MGO: RzaRecta357
#3FinalWolfPosted 2/27/2012 1:14:52 PM
demon spear has made range and power
---
http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l575/finaldemon1/1314830395082.png
#4coinop25Posted 2/27/2012 1:43:30 PM
Gmoney- posted...
Also. My buddy wants to use a katana and is using the Ugitana or whatever. It's +10 but doesn't seem to do much to the snakes in sens fortress. He needs a few good attacks.

Either raise it to +15 or use something else to kill those snakes. I was just playing with a katana build myself, and found that it was an underwhelming weapon against those enemies in particular. They're a lot more manageable with magic (e.g., Great Soul Arrow or Combustion) or with a greatsword that stunlocks (like two-handing a Claymore).
#5LivesPosted 2/27/2012 1:49:57 PM(edited)
coinop25 posted...
Gmoney- posted...

Either raise it to +15 or use something else to kill those snakes. I was just playing with a katana build myself, and found that it was an underwhelming weapon against those enemies in particular. They're a lot more manageable with magic (e.g., Great Soul Arrow or Combustion) or with a greatsword that stunlocks (like two-handing a Claymore).

Ha, Katanas can take down anything if used properly. Just last night I used a buffed (sunlight blade) +15 Uchigatana against Ornstein and Smough in NG++. It was too easy.

I think if you have the supporting stats (enough dex and either int or faith for your buffs), the katanas can do some massive damage. Their quick attack that doesn't use much stamina, along with their bleeding effect, makes them quite dangerous. I'm a big fan of them.

They can indeed take out the snake dudes, but yes, something with stunlock like the claymore can be easier. From what I've found, Pyromancy is definitely the easiest way to kill them. But don't dismiss the katanas. I still think I have the most fun with my characters that use a variety of katanas. Dual wielding them is fun too... like a fire/lightning iaito in left hand, and then a +15 uchigatana in the right hand.

As for the spears.... I haven't tried too many of them to be honest with you. I kind of like the pike for some reason... but I'm not sure why. Halberds I also find useful, but I wouldn't call them a spear since the majority of the time with spears are spent behind shields.
#6TMRavenPosted 2/27/2012 8:43:11 PM
Demon's Spear is the best in the game. Followed by Pike. Then a tie between Dragonslayer Spear and Silver Knight's Spear.
---
www.armoredcoreuniverse.net
#7Elven_NoblePosted 2/27/2012 8:52:54 PM
TMRaven posted...
Demon's Spear is the best in the game. Followed by Pike. Then a tie between Dragonslayer Spear and Silver Knight's Spear.

I know I've been seeing a few folks say Demon's Spear has a longer reach than DSS, but I'm not seeing it. I did a few tests myself, and they seemed even, if not the DSS being touch longer. Mind you I did all these tests with LEFT handed R2's, so it may be different if it's not in your off hand.

Overall though, DSS is the best though, since it has a great special attack (for areas with water/tight corridors), a good reach (if not the best), and it does scaling lightning damage (last I checked the Demon Spear's lightning damage doesn't scale, just it's physical).

I do digress that the DSS's wield reqs are pretty steep, but if you're going to focus on spears, that's what you should be building your character around, yes? So if focusing on spears, I'd go for either the DSS or Pike (if you want to enchant it). If you're NOT going to focus on spears though and just want a decent spear for whenever you think you'll want one, then Demon's Spear would be pretty good, although a Lightning Pike/Winged Spear would probably be better (they'd do a lot more damage--just meeting the wield reqs on the Demon's Spear +5, I have more AR with a Lightning Spear +4. Spear (not winged, not a pike, just a simple spear). +4 (not +5)).
---
Os iusti meditabitur sapientiam
Et lingua eius loqueter indicium
#8zyrax2301Posted 2/27/2012 8:54:17 PM
Any spear that doesn't crackle.

F*** I am so sick of lightning after playing this game. Even Zeus is a scrub now.
---
Why? Because **** you is why.
#9SolKarellenPosted 2/27/2012 9:00:34 PM
faith paladin build with ornstein's/paladin's DSS, silver knight's sword, and artoarias' shield

be a man
---
"I demand a plain roll!"
#10TMRavenPosted 2/27/2012 9:04:02 PM
That special attack of DSS has a long startup and recovery, and does a grand total of like 300hp damage. It's definitely a great special attack, huh.

And no the Demon's Spear is longest spear in game. Moonlight Butterfly, DSS and Silver Knighit's are all tied for second longest, although the range difference between those 4 longest spears isn't that great. Going from DSS length tier to Pike is a little more apparent.
---
www.armoredcoreuniverse.net