Can we stop suggesting new players get the Drake Sword?

#1DustinhtPosted 7/9/2012 2:29:43 PM(edited)
Please.

I think the Drake Sword is more of a curse than an aid, to be honest. It just lets new players mindlessly hack and slash through several levels, and when it gets outdated, the players are f***ed because they don't know how to play at all. Because the Drake Sword is so overpowered for how early you get it, newbs who get it become reliant. When you've been playing a while you get it and use it while you upgrade a regular weapon and bail on it when you get to the depths.

But newbs get accustomed to it, and refuse to let it go. The drake sword is s*** and if you keep relying on it, you're already in a place where it stops shining. People don't realize there is more to gear than highest defense or best damage rating shown, etc. So they think, find a "Strong" weapon like drake and plow ahead.

I can't count how many people comment in here about "how come there are no good weapons like the drake sword" when in reality it's one of the worst weapons in the game.

So let's tell them NOT to get the Drake Sword. For everyone's sake.

And yeah, I copied this from my other thread on the xbox boards because this is important.
---
"Kill all of the enemy units because their red color advocates communism. "
-Albin0
#2McKnighrider01Posted 7/9/2012 2:36:58 PM
Dustinht posted...
Please.

I think the Drake Sword is more of a curse than an aid, to be honest. It just lets new players mindlessly hack and slash through several levels, and when it gets outdated, the players are f***ed because they don't know how to play at all.

all the reason is right there TO TELL THEM TO GET IT.

If they think, "Hey this sword I found in literally the second part of the area is going to get me through the game" They need a lot more help then an upgrade from the drake sword. Honestly it can get you to Blight town easily where you can find laito and even after that a lightning spear becomes available in sen's I think its fine. There are plenty of weapons out there they can get ahold of and upgrade that are better. If they don't well tehy suck not anyones problem but themselves.

I do believe by the time you're to blight town you will have claymore and can upgrade it all the way to +10 which is better then drake sword.

Besides the Drake sword = cake and everyone knows the cake is a lie!
---
PSN_mcknightrider01
#3TorebackulaPosted 7/9/2012 2:38:41 PM
I only recommend the drake sword for pvp. Still got a green light on that?
---
Hey gang, whose leg do you have to hump to get a hug around here?
PSN: Torebackula; Krondoobius
#4Dustinht(Topic Creator)Posted 7/9/2012 2:43:55 PM
McKnighrider01 posted...
Dustinht posted...
Please.

I think the Drake Sword is more of a curse than an aid, to be honest. It just lets new players mindlessly hack and slash through several levels, and when it gets outdated, the players are f***ed because they don't know how to play at all.

all the reason is right there TO TELL THEM TO GET IT.

If they think, "Hey this sword I found in literally the second part of the area is going to get me through the game" They need a lot more help then an upgrade from the drake sword. Honestly it can get you to Blight town easily where you can find laito and even after that a lightning spear becomes available in sen's I think its fine. There are plenty of weapons out there they can get ahold of and upgrade that are better. If they don't well tehy suck not anyones problem but themselves.

I do believe by the time you're to blight town you will have claymore and can upgrade it all the way to +10 which is better then drake sword.

Besides the Drake sword = cake and everyone knows the cake is a lie!

Noobs don't KNOW about the Iaito, or Lightning Spear, though. They don't know they should get the claymore, and upgrade it. They just plod along with the Drake Sword. That's the problem, you're looking at it from someone who's played the game a lot.

A noob will look at the Claymore, go "doesn't do 200 damage like my Drake Sword" and keep going. They don't know to upgrade weapons, because we told him to get the Drake Sword.
---
"Kill all of the enemy units because their red color advocates communism. "
-Albin0
#5Aegisfang22Posted 7/9/2012 5:34:44 PM
Preaching to the choir brother.

YouTube is littered with "How to's" and just about every boss fight early on the video has a Drake sword. Comments are like "How do I get that weapon. It's awesome!" "you make it look so easy!"

I'm fairly new and I honestly read about it and got it. Tried it and got kinda bored with it since it was one shotting a lot of the early baddies. Made a new character and passed on it and I am having way more fun with the game then I would have with the Drake sword.
#6TheCManatorPosted 7/9/2012 5:45:15 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#7LoshadtPosted 7/9/2012 5:48:13 PM
There's nothing wrong with using the Drake Sword. It's an incredibly powerful weapon early-game.

Yeah, technically they're not learning the "hard way" by being stuck with a +3 longsword, but you learn from playing a lot, not by imposing absurd limitations on yourself.
---
Russian is my first language, so yes there may be a spelling error or two.
I <3 Jesus.
#8digital0verdosePosted 7/9/2012 5:58:32 PM
How is the Drake Sword less of a crutch than any weapon that scales with an applicable stat, particularly when buffed to +5, +10 or +15?

People want to give other players crap for using what they see as a cheesy weapon while they, themselves, are swinging a +15 of their chosen weapon while still in a NG. It's almost as if people like the OP want their to be some sort of artificial barrier to entry in this game that falls apart as soon as you start finding embers.

If you want to make the game harder for yourself by running through with raw claws, go for it, but to look down on others because they are using the tools available to them is ridiculous. It has absolutely no impact on you, and in this case, is not any sort of "I win" button for PvP or PvE. It simply bridges a gap until you get to embers which lead to the difficulty being as easy or easier than with the Drake Sword.

In short, get over yourself.
#9BlocktopusPosted 7/9/2012 6:00:12 PM
Why in gods name are you complaining about this lol
#10TheCManatorPosted 7/9/2012 6:07:10 PM
Dustinht posted...
Please.

I think the Drake Sword is more of a curse than an aid, to be honest. It just lets new players mindlessly hack and slash through several levels, and when it gets outdated, the players are f***ed because they don't know how to play at all. Because the Drake Sword is so overpowered for how early you get it, newbs who get it become reliant. When you've been playing a while you get it and use it while you upgrade a regular weapon and bail on it when you get to the depths.

But newbs get accustomed to it, and refuse to let it go. The drake sword is s*** and if you keep relying on it, you're already in a place where it stops shining. People don't realize there is more to gear than highest defense or best damage rating shown, etc. So they think, find a "Strong" weapon like drake and plow ahead.

I can't count how many people comment in here about "how come there are no good weapons like the drake sword" when in reality it's one of the worst weapons in the game.

So let's tell them NOT to get the Drake Sword. For everyone's sake.

And yeah, I copied this from my other thread on the xbox boards because this is important.

First, it's the game's way of getting new players by, when they don't really want to explore upgrading or farm the necessary things to make a good weapon yet. (Though ironically, most would miss it anyway)

Secondly, even the noobiest players will figure out how useless it is by Sen's fortress, but by then more areas, gear, and farm spots are available, Lightning spear included. I see the drake swd as a placeholder weapon. Use it while I'm upgrading other weapons to surpass it.

Thirdly, The parish is kindof a ***** the first time through. The balder knights and gargoyles are a step up from the burg's enemies while the player is still figuring the mechanics out. A little extra power won't hurt.
---
This topic has been CManated.
PSN: SilentDragon870 // Mains: Cammy, Cody, Cammy/Law