Dragonslayer spear build help

#1ValronicPosted 7/18/2012 11:32:34 AM
So Im trying out the dragonslayer spear because I am assuming its the best spear in the game. I havent used spears a great deal so playstyle advice would be helpful.

Heres my final stats.

vit: 40
att: 16
end: 40
str: 24
dex: 25
int: 8
res: 11
fai: 40

Miracles are great healx3 and wrathx6.

Im not sure what armor I want or what secondary weapon. This spear is heavy as is the eagle shield so I might just use a dragonoid. I havent fully leveled this character yet but at 97 I am getting backstabbed too much. I don't expect level to affect that too much. Tips?
#2PHoToS999Posted 7/18/2012 1:25:19 PM
Dragonslayer is one of my favorite builds.
There are two ways (imo) to do it.
Tank or agility.
The difference is in the rings.
It's always dwgr. The second is either cloranthy or havel (or rof sometimes).

Havel allows you to wear poise-alicious armor to tank and stunlock people.
Cloranthy allows you to never run out of stam if you use it right.

For havel, you just put on all the armor that gives you the stats you want.
For cloranthy, you must wear the child mask and use the grass crest shield.

With this build, you are either running or chasing. If you're in a 2v1 position, go after the host or go to a small place where only one can get you.

WoG randomly for good damage and shield break.
---
Silvy owns my pants...and my soul.
My R1 button needs to be fixed. For some reason, every time I use it a few times, things die. -- Jonvandamm
#3PHoToS999Posted 7/18/2012 1:26:59 PM
Btw, i run:
Rh1 DSS
Rh2: washing pole
Lh1: grass crest shield
Lh2: talisman
---
My R1 button needs to be fixed. For some reason, every time I use it a few times, things die. -- Jonvandamm
#4Ratchet_Fan8Posted 7/18/2012 1:32:31 PM
Dragonslayer is one of my favorite builds.
There are two ways (imo) to do it.
Tank or agility.
The difference is in the rings.
It's always dwgr. The second is either cloranthy or havel (or rof sometimes).

Havel allows you to wear poise-alicious armor to tank and stunlock people.
Cloranthy allows you to never run out of stam if you use it right.

For havel, you just put on all the armor that gives you the stats you want.
For cloranthy, you must wear the child mask and use the grass crest shield.

With this build, you are either running or chasing. If you're in a 2v1 position, go after the host or go to a small place where only one can get you.

WoG randomly for good damage and shield break.

build pls
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/tou.html
#5PHoToS999Posted 7/18/2012 2:00:19 PM
The piece of armor that shows naked should be thorn gloves, just fyi.
http://tinyurl.com/6tpwsbu

Grassing is good too.
Emit force is for spellswitching dmb onto your washing pole.

The armor is not set in stone tho, that was just me putting something there. However, a piece of thorn and the child mask is a must.
---
#6PHoToS999Posted 7/18/2012 2:02:45 PM
Also, to Tc, if you roll into someone right before they bs you, you'll take no damage due to the piece of thorn.
---
#7eugene1222Posted 7/18/2012 2:41:01 PM
I dont see why someone would wanna maximize the damage of the DSS given that the difference is very small for how many levels you put it. Its all about the reach and guard break with this spear, so go with a simple vitality/quality build.
---
'You know what they call a quarter pounder in France? Royale with cheese' 'And what do they call a whopper?' 'I Dunno, I didnt go into burger king'
#8Valronic(Topic Creator)Posted 7/18/2012 2:45:09 PM
To be honest, its a faith build that is adjusted to use the DSS. Reason being, wrath helps in a number of situations and I like having the option to heal in another players world without spending humanity.
#9PHoToS999Posted 7/18/2012 2:45:48 PM
...that's what I did.
Unless you're not talking to me.
---
#10DustinhtPosted 7/18/2012 5:31:05 PM
Tone Faith down to 30, use a Canvas Talisman or Thorolund if you don't have a Canvas. Bump Dex up to 35. This gives you more attack rating than 40 faith.

With a spear you want to keep enemies at the edge of your range and try to space as much as possible. Don't let them get close - grass crest is good for this. Turtling behind a shield won't work as you are asking to get backstabbed. As a spear user you need to stay mobile.
---
"Kill all of the enemy units because their red color advocates communism. "
-Albin0