Invasion mechanics

#1importpowerPosted 2/4/2011 2:24:02 PM

I've been reading a few pages of this forum and didn't see anything about the suggestion I'm going to make so here it is.

In Demons Souls when you invaded someone, it always announced to the player that they were getting invaded and it always started the invader at the beginning of the level. I think it would be great if it didn't tell the player that they were getting invaded, and the invader starts at either a random location or get's to choose from a few different places since the game is going to be more open world.

I think this would go great with some of the spell examples we have been given like hiding in pots and whatnot. It would feel better knowing that you can actually try to get the jump on the other player without him automatically being on high alert as soon as you get there. It would also give the player a bigger and more perminant sense of dread knowing another player could be watching or coming for him at any time. What do you all think?

#2John_LateralusPosted 2/4/2011 4:51:29 PM
I kind of really like this idea, however overall I think it is best to be warned. There are so many reasons that I would be pissed off if I randomly got killed by an invading player and I didn't even know he was there.

However I would like it for some areas of the game. Like a foggy area, and you cannot tell if players invade you there or something because you can't detect anything (idk I'm just making something up from the top of my head.)

So if they add certain areas or maybe just one area to the game where this happens that would be cool, but not being warned ever could really get on my nerves sometimes, other times I would love the intensity.
---
---
There is no truth only perspective.
#3TheOriginalMaxPosted 2/5/2011 6:00:03 AM
it always started the invader at the beginning of the level
This isn't true.
For example if you got through the first fog gate in 4-1 and stayed in that/later part of the area, the invader would spawn in front of the archway(and tunnel with the arrow trap).
I'm not exactly sure where the BP spawned when I was helping someone through 1-3, but it wasn't in the beginning because he surprised us after the first Fat Minister you can fight.

I think it would be great if it didn't tell the player that they were getting invaded, and the invader starts at either a random location or get's to choose from a few different places since the game is going to be more open world.

I think this would go great with some of the spell examples we have been given like hiding in pots and whatnot. It would feel better knowing that you can actually try to get the jump on the other player without him automatically being on high alert as soon as you get there. It would also give the player a bigger and more perminant sense of dread knowing another player could be watching or coming for him at any time. What do you all think?

It's unfair to the host honestly.
The balance in DS was that the host would get to know when and where they're getting invaded. Losing that would be entirely too unfair to the host, especially considering what douches can invade(scraping spear, acid cloud, soulsuck, fireruler, running spell glitches). I'm going to stay mostly in soul form(if the mechanics are the same) as to avoid having to worry about getting invaded. But I still think that it would be entirely too much to the invader's favor if you didn't know when/where they invade.
This game isn't meant to make you give up you know.

Also I never really got what was so great about invading new people and possibly ruining their game. This topic just seems like an opinion from a person who likes to invade and doesn't really take into consideration what it would be like for them.
---
To be fair, no one has unlimited patience, and at times this board could come close flustering the Buddha.-geekneck99
Patience is a virtue but I'm a sinner.
#4brunoafhPosted 2/5/2011 6:05:38 AM
Also I never really got what was so great about invading new people and possibly ruining their game.

Haha really? That's weird. What isn't great about that?

Anyway this is a pretty cool idea but I don't think it will fly. People want to be warned since this game will still be a predominantly single player experience. Also, I for one would miss the '_______ is invading your world" message.
---
PSN ID: brunoafh
#5TheOriginalMaxPosted 2/5/2011 7:14:53 AM
Haha really? That's weird. What isn't great about that?
you're dominating someone weaker than you coincidentally making you a sadist and therefore are nothing but a cat playing with a mouse it caught. Might as well throw your humanity out the window ^^
---
To be fair, no one has unlimited patience, and at times this board could come close flustering the Buddha.-geekneck99
#6brunoafhPosted 2/5/2011 7:18:26 AM
^ You get matched in accordance to soul level so they shouldn't be that much weaker than me. They actually have the upper hand if anything being that I'm in soul form and they're in body form.
---
PSN ID: brunoafh
#7TheOriginalMaxPosted 2/5/2011 7:36:35 AM
Yes that balances it a bit. But again the keyword is "new". The lack of experience = a weakness compared to someone who has experience.

They actually have the upper hand if anything being that I'm in soul form and they're in body form.
Soul form pros: More damage, attack boost from rings, better stealth, attack boost from character tendency, attack boost from soul form.
cons: Less hp, one less ring slot(if Cling ring), can't summon.
Body form pros: More HP, have a higher SL than the invader, can summon others to help, one more ring slot(if Cling ring).
cons: Do less damage with nothing to boost your attack with(save for hyper mode), make noise hence making stealth near impossible. And we all know how deadly proper stealth can be(my ninja dex build with a +5 fatal Estoc comes to mind).

There might be "more of something" on the other, but the quality is the defining factor.
How the body form is more of a hindrance is that, especially considering this new game being open world and all, you won't necessarily FIND anyone to help you. Much less manage to summon in time. The body is very much a hindrance in something that's basically a single player game.
I always find it a hassle when a host summons me to help them and then goes to search for all the damn items in the stage taking forever. If I'm hosting(which is from never to rarely) I really don't want to keep the blues waiting for me to do all the time consuming stuff in the level. It's rude to them if you ask me.
---
#8MogleoPosted 2/5/2011 7:45:39 AM
I think maybe they could integrate it so that when you get invaded one of those beacon fire things flares up. Maybe shoots green fire? So you have to pay attention at all times or you'll miss it.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/Gliquid1993?feature=mhum
Mah Youtube
#9caramel_codPosted 2/5/2011 9:20:23 AM
They should probably still be warned, but maybe using a sound cue instead of the "___ has invaded your world" message. Imagine some terrible, heart-wrenching noise playing when you've been invaded, it would certainly set the mood.

I do agree with random spawns to avoid jumpers. As for ruining new players' games, I feel like co-op balances things out. If a noob plays online without using co-op, they should be prepared to get slaughtered. Especially considering how many Demon's Souls veterans will be flooding Dark Souls's online within the first week of release.
#10importpower(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2011 9:42:35 AM

Jeeze Max, you such a lolly pop XD Aren't these games designed around the idea of it being a brutal unforgiving atmosphere? It's not like people who invade others don't get invaded themselves. Can't believe we have to discuess why you think invader = sadist now lol.