Would spell-based ripostes be too much?

#1The moonlight knightPosted 5/24/2011 5:18:28 AM
I was goofing off on my old Demon's Souls character with ToB and Geri's Stiletto in my right hand, knight shield +10 and kris knife +5 in my left, and basically fighting melee, but by casting ignite. And as a makeshift riposte, I would parry, and while they're off-balance, switch to kris knife then blast them. But it'd be pretty spiffy if I could instead punch my fist into the enemy like a fist-riposte, but with ToB in hand and then unleash an internal ignite to incinerate their insides for bonus critical damage that melee weapons enjoy in this scenario. @_@
---
I am snazzier, hot, hot rant. Warily slight as.
Croak rush, OK? Weirder, almighty make out. ::)
#2StockpileThomasPosted 5/24/2011 5:37:04 AM
I like the way you think Moonlight, i'd be up for that.

Try parry to soulsukka, been dying to try it, but i kept forgetting and then my PS3 died :(

I always wished i could parry with a catalyst in my left, i mean the wand whack was just silly enough to be fun, but it wasn't practical.
#3The moonlight knight(Topic Creator)Posted 5/24/2011 5:42:19 AM
Yeah, the wand whack is pretty silly and unnecessary. Woulda been nice to have something better.

And I think if you could soulsucker riposte, they'd need to change it where in PVP, a soulsucker kills the player, because otherwise, well... A really skilled parry-oriented player could seriously destroy another person. o_o But if they did that there'd also need to be some way to respec/delevel for those who still wish to do that.

You know, speaking of the wand whack, maybe... Well, it'd be interesting if they tried to make two variants of a spell. Like a melee-range and projectile version, and the melee-range could just replace the wand whack. Make it cost a little less MP since it's more limited, or make it cast faster... I mean, melee weapons have the option to be used in the left hand, which can make them perform differently, and it'd be interesting if they could do the same for spells, give a second way to use them. Though I realise this wouldn't really work for all spells. Iunno.
---
#4Rancoeur3Posted 5/24/2011 5:55:23 AM(edited)
Yeah I also think the wand is unnecessary, in the current state. They should keep it if your a pure mage by giving a boost to magic and something on R1/R2 but you should be able to cast magic with a standard weapons in hand. Or the ability to upgrade weapons to be able to cast spells with them or something like that.

And I think the idea of critical damage with magic on parry or backstab is also a good one.
#5DuneManPosted 5/24/2011 8:08:12 AM
Maybe something along the lines of the Octoheads, where you zap 'em and they crumple to the ground.
---
"I'd rather betray the world than let the world betray me." -Cao Cao
#6The moonlight knight(Topic Creator)Posted 5/24/2011 8:12:30 AM
It would be nice to be able to produce that effect, but it seems pretty overpowered when they use it.
---
#7DuneManPosted 5/24/2011 8:19:08 AM
I didn't mean the whole impaling for massive damage, just the cool zapping effect. *BZZZT, BZZZT, BZZZT!*
---
#8The moonlight knight(Topic Creator)Posted 5/24/2011 8:20:19 AM
But that's not critical damage! D:<
---
#9DuneManPosted 5/24/2011 8:23:26 AM
Doesn't mean you can't have damage in DkS, since the Octoheads don't exist. Recognizing the visual effect would be a nice little easter egg for those that played DS.
---
#10GrowshroomPosted 5/24/2011 8:24:58 AM
It leaves the enemy open for a wakeup Ignite, Firestorm, Cloud, or whatever spell you find dandy.
---
+50 HP
Shoot the mask to hear more