Plot Details (uh, trailer spoilers?)

#1BigWilliePlaysPosted 9/5/2011 8:47:10 AM
I've been wanting to learn a bit about the plot, but I don't want to see any more videos of the gameplay before release. I think this is the only game for me where STORY spoilers are welcome but GAMEPLAY spoilers aren't.

What do we know so far?
---
Demon's Souls Playthrough
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL347A2E6DE4C47186
#2NabucodonosorIIPosted 9/5/2011 8:55:28 AM

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/606312-dark-souls/60101381

#3GeoffmeisterPosted 9/5/2011 8:56:44 AM
what i know: (feel free to correct me)
people are being tainted with a curse (dark ring or something), that turns u undead, ure playing as one of these people.
There are 4 covenants,
King Gwynn with his army
The Witch and her daughters of Chaos
Nito, the undead skulls thingy
and a Pygmy (mysteriousness)

u ally with one of these, something happens etc etc
#4BigWilliePlays(Topic Creator)Posted 9/5/2011 9:01:41 AM
Topic was arch'd.

Originally by Groshroom

"In the Age of Ancients,
The world was unformed, shrouded by fog
A land of grey crags, archtrees, and everlasting dragons

But then there was Fire
And with Fire came Disparity. Heat and cold, life and death, and of course... Light and Dark.

Then, from the Dark, They came
And found the Souls of Lords within the flame.

Nito, the first of the dead
The Witch of Izalith, and her daughters of chaos
Gwyn, the Lord of Sunlight, and his faithful knights
And the furtive pygmy, so easily forgotten

With the Strength of Lords, they challenged the dragons.

Gwyn's mighty bolts peeled apart their stone scales
The witches weaved great firestorms
Nito unleashed a miasma of death and disease

And Seath the Scaleless betrayed his own, and the dragons were no more
Thus began the Age of Fire

But soon, the flames will fade, and only Dark will remain

Even now, there are only embers, and man sees not light, but only endless nights
And amongst the living are seen, carriers of the accursed Darksign.

You are thrust into the world of demons, where those humans with the Dark Ring are sent to succumb and transform into the living dead. Darkness reigns. The one original flame now nests in the core of this world, all but dead. The demons have conquered the immortal dragons and all across their world, lay the decrepit signs of their rule.

If you hope to ever reach the King’s Crowns, you must carefully equip yourself.

The demons who rule this world gain their extraordinary power from the King’s Crowns. To retrieve the King’s Crowns and reach the flame of the world, you will have to face the White King Gwen and his knights, the witch Izarith and her evil daughters, the first dead, Nit, and the immortal and nameless shadow dwarves."
---
#5BigWilliePlays(Topic Creator)Posted 9/5/2011 9:02:40 AM
Once again from Growshroom.

"Speculation:

-The Darkness is the Dark Souls equivalent to the Old One. It was created in a cataclysm that split the world between light and dark: the creation of Fire; this is in parallel with the Old One being created when its original form, the tree of life, was tapped into for the benefits of soul power magic.

-King Gwyn, the "Lord of Sunlight", is a parallel to King Allant and Prometheus. He brought about the creation of Fire for quasi-good, quasi-selfish reasons: a desire to bring power to his kingdom and step over the immortal dragons to bring about an age of men.

-The other lords (Nito, Izalith, Seath, and the dwarves) conspired with Gwyn to create the Fire, but they were all swallowed by the Darkness before they could take the Souls of Lords from the Fire and craft the King's Crowns from their power.

-When they broke free from the Darkness and fulfilled their original plan, it was too late: they had been corrupted by the Darkness into evil shells of their former selves. They ruled unjustly with the power of Fire, killing the immortal dragons when they could find them and inflicting terror and death on the population of the northern kingdoms where their fiefdoms resided.

-The Fire, the source of their power, cannot be sustained when the crowns forged from it are worn by Darkness-corrupted rulers. It sits at the center of the world, slowly fading away before the encroaching Darkness.

-The Darkness, set back but not defeated by the defection of its Arch Demons, is making its presence known through the plague of the Darksign. If it succeeds in snuffing out the light, the whole world will be forever locked in that curse, undying but unliving.

-The forces of Light exist, but are weak: without the power of the King's Crowns and the Strength of Lords they provide, they are powerless before both the demon lords and the encroaching Darkness. They spend all of their strength capturing the Undead and ferrying them into the cursed lands of the Dark Lords to rot imprisoned until the end of time. But they cannot contain the Dark Sign: the leaders among them realize the need for an undying champion with enough humanity to use the King's Crowns in order to reverse the dying of the Fire: that's where the player comes in.

I'm thinking two endings, like Demon's Souls:

1) The player sides with the forces of Light; brimming with Humanity, his/her undead form walks into the fire with the King's Crowns, returning it to full eternal strength but sacrificing themselves in the process. With the corrupting Darkness pushed back and the Fire not used for evil, the world enjoys a new age of prosperity.

2) The player sides with the forces of the Dark; embracing undying eternity wrapped in black, he/she destroys the King's Crowns and snuffs the fire out. The world is slowly enveloped by the Darkness, who has a new arch demon by its side.

Perhaps a third ending, where the world returns to equilibrium between light/dark. Maybe it turns out that too much of either is a bad thing."

Have we learned anything new?
---
#6RoveliusPosted 9/5/2011 3:59:01 PM

When they say "immortal and nameless shadow dwarves", I think they mean humans who succumbed to the Dark Ring/Darkness and completely hollowed. I don't think they represent a covenant by themselves, Seath is probably the 4th covenant since the guy has been around since from King's Field and is the only dragon who wanted to help the humans.