Can someone explain how VAGRANTS work? You drop an item, and a Vagrant appears?

#1GreenKnight127Posted 10/2/2011 8:36:22 AM
I am so confused by this mechanic.

I asked in an earlier thread if they brought back the ability to drop items and give them to other people. Example: If a friend joins your game, you could give him some healing items if you have some to spare, etc. Even people who invade your game, you can give them items if you want.

Kind of a big aspect to Demon's Souls. One of the best and coolest features in my opinion.

But someone mentioned that it's much different in Dark Souls.

Apparently you CAN drop items in the game..........but if you do it in Online mode.......when you drop that item........a "Vagrant" appears in someone else's game. I don't know if this Vagrant is human-controlled, or AI controlled. But apparently by killing this Vagrant, you get the item that the original person dropped.

W...T...F.....?

Can someone explain this to me, because that makes no sense at all.

If you drop 10 healing grasses............how does it determine whose game the Vagrant appears in? And when that person kills the Vagrant, will it ONLY drop 10 healing grasses?

And what happens to the original 10 grasses the first person dropped? Can they pick them back up and drop them again? Would that spawn a second Vagrant? Or do the grasses magically vanish the moment they drop them, because they essentially BECAME the vagrant in someone else's game?

I'd prefer answers from people who have actually played the game. Not just assumptions, please.

Because this sounds like a horribly confusing system.

What happened to just dropping an item at your feet........and whoever walks by, friend or foe, can pick it up if they want?
#2Dread_noughtPosted 10/2/2011 8:44:03 AM(edited)
The Vagrant spawns into a random players network after the item has been on the ground long enough. The longer the Vagrant survives, the stronger (does it get stronger as well?) it gets.

However, the longer the Vagrant survives, the better the item it drops becomes.

Example: I drop some ****** undead soldier armor from the beginning of the game near Firelink Shrine. It turns into a vagrant that survives for a week. Someone finally kills it and it drops Knight Armor +2 - this is just an example, but Knight Armor +2 is leagues better than the original item.

I'm sure there is a cap as to how much the item can upgrade, but no one really knows yet. And remember the item doesn't instantaneously change into a vagrant, it takes a little time.
---
PSN: Drytchnath
Maybe if you cry a large enough river you can drift all the way to Capcom's Headquarters. --Fuuinashi from the PS3 RE5 Boards
#3GreenKnight127(Topic Creator)Posted 10/2/2011 8:47:26 AM
This sounds like a weird....but intriguing system, now that you mention the item can become better.

Interesting.

So.....while playing with other people online.....can we still give each other items? Can others pick up your dropped goodies?
#4ZegimaPosted 10/2/2011 8:49:03 AM
The more hostile the area the faster the items become a vagrant. You can still drop items for other players. However if you leave it there for too long eventually it'll become a vagrant. If your in offline mode, It'll come after you instead of invading a random realm.
#5Dread_noughtPosted 10/2/2011 8:51:45 AM
You can still give people items, but unless you wanna spawn a ton of vagrants don't leave stuff lying all over the ground - make sure the other player picks it up.
---
PSN: Drytchnath
Maybe if you cry a large enough river you can drift all the way to Capcom's Headquarters. --Fuuinashi from the PS3 RE5 Boards
#6GreenKnight127(Topic Creator)Posted 10/2/2011 8:52:43 AM
In offline mode the vagrant will spawn in YOUR game!?!

Hold on.

That's kind of awesome, unless I'm mistaken.

Couldn't you essentially take a crappy item.........and drop it........come back to that area later....kill the vagrant....and get a better version of that item? All while playing OFFLINE?

Seriously, this game is sounding cooler and cooler the more I learn about it.
#7shin89510Posted 10/2/2011 11:33:40 AM
GreenKnight127 posted...
In offline mode the vagrant will spawn in YOUR game!?!

Hold on.

That's kind of awesome, unless I'm mistaken.

Couldn't you essentially take a crappy item.........and drop it........come back to that area later....kill the vagrant....and get a better version of that item? All while playing OFFLINE?

Seriously, this game is sounding cooler and cooler the more I learn about it.

I 2nd this statement !
#8Pirateking2000Posted 10/2/2011 11:36:34 AM(edited)
so wait what if someone drops Dark Knight armor or like one of the highest tier armors in the game...

Could it possibly become some SUPER UBER BROKEN POWERFUL set of armor / possible to get Dark knight without joining that group?
---
XBL GT: Demon Ninja X2
"There comes a time in every man's or woman's life where they have to make **** up to cover their ass." - Hazama
#9importpowerPosted 10/2/2011 11:41:52 AM

I don't think so. If its already the best teir it can get, then it will probabaly just drop that. (Can't complain that its still technically dropping the best of the best). Unless the game decides to drop some other set it deems better. I doubt it though.

#10Pirateking2000Posted 10/2/2011 11:43:15 AM
it would be cool if there was some secret set of armor nobody knows about by doing just that
---
XBL GT: Demon Ninja X2
"There comes a time in every man's or woman's life where they have to make **** up to cover their ass." - Hazama