How I got the Dark Wood Grain Ring and stayed in the Forest Covenant at SL 8

#1Enso84Posted 10/18/2011 9:45:37 AM
Alright, so with seeing so many threads on getting the DWGR aka the Ninja Flip Ring and trying to keep within the Forest Covenant AND keep Shiva of the East as a merchant and not getting any clear answers I decided to figure it out for myself. After I finished my experiment I was able to get the flip ring, keep Shiva alive, absolve my sins and stay in the Forest Covenant so I can eventually get the Fog Ring and buy cool stuff like the Washing Pole.

Here are some quick pointers before I lay out the step by step.

1. Save all of your consumable soul items as you will need them to buy the Crest of Artorius.

2. Make sure you get the Homeward Bones from Firelink.

3. You have to go as far as killing the Belfry Gargoyles to make Oswald appear.

4. DO NOT LEVEL UP UNLESS YOU HAVE TO! I only did to equip the Drake Sword but then keep your levels low so paying off your sins will still be cheap.

5. Also I started off with the Master Key so I could fight Havel when I wanted and to snag the Holy Sword and Dragon Shield in the Valley of Drakes. Not at all a requirement though.

Now for the actual process...

1. Start game as Hunter/Warrior/Bandit since you'll be getting the Drake Sword later. The Drake Sword makes low level fighting much easier. You could skip on the Drake Sword, but enemies will be more of a pain in the ass.

2. Clear the Asylum, grab all the goodies from Firelink and make your way to the Undead Burg.

3. Clear it out and buy a bow and arrows from the merchant if you don't have one already so you can shoot off the Hellkite's tail.

4. Make your way through the burg and acquire the Drake Sword.

5. Clear the Undead Parish and defeat the Gargoyles. Activiate the Shortcut from the Parish elevator to Firelink.

6. Head to Darkwood and kill the Titantie Demon and the Moonlight Butterfly. With the Drake Sword they both are pretty easy, just make sure to time their attacks and roll out.

7. I recommend killing Havel since he is worth a lot of souls and while dangerous he is very predictable, plus his ring is boss.

8. By now you'll have a good chunk of souls and if you didn't use the consumable ones you'll have a lot left in the "bank". Tally up your souls and if you are not quite at 20K, do a little grinding so you can buy the Crest from Andrei.

9. Open the forest door and do some grinding via the ol' cliff method. Make sure you build up AT LEAST your SL times 2000 souls for your upcoming sins. I was level 8 and got about 40K total so I could do some leveling at the end.

10. Remember, DO NOT LEVEL until after you absolve your sins. Once you are happy with your souls and clear out the forest bandits go join the forest covenant.

11. Use a Homeward bone to go back to the bonfire so you don't get glitched by stupid NPC's and booted from the Covenant for no reason.

12. Go back and find Shiva and the Ninja. Kick the ninja off the cliff since this won't aggro him and Homeward Bone back to the bonfire. Do not let Shiva follow you or drop him off a cliff if you want to buy from him later.

13. Pay off your sins with all the souls you saved up. It only cost me 16k since I stayed low level. DO NOT TALK TO ALVINA UNTIL YOU PAY YOUR SINS. If you kill the ninja and then talk to her, she'll disappear and might not come back. Kill the ninja then get out with the Homeward Bone. That way when you come back she'll have no problem with you.

14. Clear out the bandits, grab your flip ring that is waiting at the cliff and rejoin the forest covenant (if you want, I love this covenant personally).

15. Use the remaining souls you banked to level up. You now have the Dark Wood ring, are cleared of your sins and if inclined may rejoin the Forest Covenant.
#2Enso84(Topic Creator)Posted 10/18/2011 9:48:18 AM
Funny thing is when I returned to the Forest Covenant and Shiva reappeared, he made no mention of his ninja friend and only told me "Good Hunting with you!" So as far as I am concerned I am the new ninja in town!

Sorry this was so long but I wasn't finding what I was looking for on the boards and just decided to test this out myself today. So while it is still pretty involved, this is about the "easiest" way I can think to get the flip ring without paying a ton of souls and still be able to join the Forest Covenant and buy all of Shiva's cool ass gear, without having to wait for NG+.
#3KelVarnsenPosted 10/18/2011 9:50:51 AM
That's very impressive! Good work.
#4MysticVolcanoPosted 10/18/2011 9:54:48 AM
Kick off what cliff, do you mean in the forest? cause he's back into a wall on the ground in blighttown...all i did was great combustion him.
#5Enso84(Topic Creator)Posted 10/18/2011 10:09:48 AM
MysticVolcano posted...
Kick off what cliff, do you mean in the forest? cause he's back into a wall on the ground in blighttown...all i did was great combustion him.

You can totally kill him in Blight Town. It's just the guide I wrote up has you acquire the ring after you beat the Gargoyles and keeping a low level so if you want to absolve your sins with the Forest Covenant you can do so on the cheap. I haven't even killed the Capra before the Depths yet.

Of course if you don't care about absolution then this guide is moot ;P

But since it's my favorite covenant and I want to buy out Shiva's stock I figured I'd find a way to do it all and not have to fork over 100k or more souls just to clear my sin.
#6XbladezPosted 10/18/2011 10:10:16 AM
Or just lure one of the mosquitoes over to him behind the wall and use him as a human shield til he dies, then lure the mosquito accomplice away from Shiva to kill it so u don't hit him. Prior to returning for your ring.
---
"Peace > Stagnation > Death < Violence < War"
hence why death is inevitable
#7Enso84(Topic Creator)Posted 10/18/2011 4:32:09 PM
XbladezDW posted...
Or just lure one of the mosquitoes over to him behind the wall and use him as a human shield til he dies, then lure the mosquito accomplice away from Shiva to kill it so u don't hit him. Prior to returning for your ring.

Also true but the point of my guide was that you can acquire the ring and absolve your sins all before you even go to the Depths, let alone Blight Town. I wanted the ring ASAP. Now I'm flipping around like crazy helping people in co-op and they be like "whaaaaa?" lol.
#8Enso84(Topic Creator)Posted 10/19/2011 5:14:13 AM
Bump
#9zyrax2301Posted 10/19/2011 12:38:30 PM
Why do you need this gigantic wall of text for such a simple task?

1. Join forest hunters.
2. Hang out in the forest until some guy inexplicably dies by falling off the cliff next to Alvina's house.
3. Go and grab his loot
4. Go and get absolution, if you want to remain in the covenant.

Done and done.
---
Why? Because **** you is why.
#10Enso84(Topic Creator)Posted 10/20/2011 8:19:32 PM
zyrax2301 posted...
Why do you need this gigantic wall of text for such a simple task?

1. Join forest hunters.
2. Hang out in the forest until some guy inexplicably dies by falling off the cliff next to Alvina's house.
3. Go and grab his loot
4. Go and get absolution, if you want to remain in the covenant.

Done and done.

It's not a guide to just getting the ring, it's a guide to getting it about as quick and easy as one can in the game. There are tons of threads with people asking about Shiva, the Ninja, the Dark Wood Grain Ring and the Forest Covenant. This ties all the questions together and answers them. My wall of text rocks as hard as Cliff Burton's bass solo "Anesthesia".