Trying to get Balder Side Sword

#1Im_a_squidPosted 10/18/2011 11:51:54 AM
This weapon sounds really cool and I'm a fan of rapier type weapons but I've read it's a rare drop from the Balder undead knights. How much humanity do you guys think is good for farming the undead parish knights. Actually how much humanity is good for farming in general?

Also, I know humanity doesn't increase rare item drop rate but drop rate in general but I don't think it can hurt to have some.

Thanks!
#2jeriausxPosted 10/18/2011 11:57:10 AM
Balder Side Sword is a straight sword, not a piercing sword. It does make the follow up to the thrust attack a second thrust though.
---
GT: Shovel Hunter
#3Im_a_squid(Topic Creator)Posted 10/18/2011 12:01:49 PM
Yeah I looked it up on the wiki and it's under straight swords but the thumb-nail makes it looks very thin and piercing sword-ish. That's what I meant I guess I should have specified.

Anyone have any thoughts on the drop rate question or humanity in general?
#4Dagoods8426Posted 10/18/2011 12:03:55 PM
just keep killing the elite guards around the undead church. You'll eventually get it.
The weapon is so good early on.
It has the swing speed of a long sword with about double the reach. And the thrust attack with R2 has mad reach, and is easy for counter attacks. I make Baider Side Sword Divine, its beast
#5shadowsofdawnPosted 10/18/2011 12:04:03 PM
I farmed for it on a new character with about 4 humanity and it only took me about 20 runs through the area to get it.

Just remember only 3 of the balder guards can drop it, the ones with the large shields and longer swords. The guards using piercing rapiers and bucklers don't drop it.
#6TBSMookfisherPosted 10/18/2011 12:05:07 PM
Not sure, but if you'd like a good rapier, Ricard's Rapier is great for Dex builds, and Velka's Rapier is great for Int builds. You can get Ricard's in Sen's Fortress and Velka's in the Painted World.
---
cr.lp,cr.lp,cr.mp xx headbutt NO 'SCAPE
#7Ben_ShinobiPosted 10/18/2011 12:08:04 PM
Having 0 Humanity and the Covetous Ring equipped gives you 300 Item Discovery. Having 1 Humanity will raise that to 320. After that, the benefits of Humanity will slowly drop, with the max being 30 Humanity giving a total of 410 Item Discovery.

If you're worried about losing Humanity, you can just pop 1 with the Ring for more cost-effective use.
---
PSN: TheSilentShinobi
#8JoolsyPosted 10/18/2011 12:15:11 PM(edited)
I got one quite early on farming souls around Undead Parish - I've never used it as the stats make it look identical to the long sword apart from a much lower durability and I was using my Drake at the time.

From what I'm reading here I take it that it would be a superior choice over the long sword if I decide to upgrade one of them?

---
~ Ye Olde Schule ~
#9monskeyPosted 10/18/2011 12:12:31 PM
Dagoods8426 posted...
just keep killing the elite guards around the undead church. You'll eventually get it.
The weapon is so good early on.
It has the swing speed of a long sword with about double the reach. And the thrust attack with R2 has mad reach, and is easy for counter attacks. I make Baider Side Sword Divine, its beast

What is the state scaling at if you make it divine?
---
3DS FC: 1848-1772-7953
There is a 9/10 chance that this post speaks truth.
#10Dagoods8426Posted 10/18/2011 12:15:33 PM
Stat Scaling is C for Divine, B for Occult.
I haven't gotten the Occult Ember yet, so I'm just using as Divine +5 right now.
Its swing radius caught me totally off guard when I first started using it, I thought it was a rapier by the way it looks, but its a mix between a rapier and long sword.