The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

Best katana

#1jreeve81Posted 10/20/2011 10:42:44 PM
The only one I've found is the Iaito in blighttown. Should I go ahead and upgrade this one or wait for a better one, also is there a boss soul is used exclusively for upgrading katanas?
#2someshorty17Posted 10/20/2011 10:48:31 PM
jreeve81 posted...
The only one I've found is the Iaito in blighttown. Should I go ahead and upgrade this one or wait for a better one, also is there a boss soul is used exclusively for upgrading katanas?

The Ugikatana is slightly better base attack wise, but there are only two hard ways to get it. One is to murder the undead merchant in Undead Burg and the other is to join the Forest Covenant and then go to the bottom of Blighttown and buy it from Shiva. I've heard there's another, plus the Jagged Ghost Blade.
---
XBL: Jayce Killa86
#3heavenkimPosted 10/20/2011 10:48:55 PM
there's a total of 4 types of katana, the Iaito, Uchigatana, washing pole (which looks like the one Sephiroth from FFVII uses) and... forgot the name for the last one, the one you get from killing Shiva. XD

and so far I find washing pole in my liking, it's also the only weapon that I can actually won PvPs with.
#4Sheed22Posted 10/20/2011 10:49:29 PM
thats got the best move set, go with it. if in blightown, that bosses Soul upgrades the katana.
---
Octobers very own
#5OmegaRelentlessPosted 10/20/2011 10:50:43 PM
All of them have their strengths I haven't personally tried the Laito yet however I've it's pretty good as well. The washing pole and Uchigatana have virtually the same movesets while the laito is diffrent from them. I say just try them and upgrade whichevers style fits you best.
---
Berserk is the greatest thing to come into existence. READ IT NOW!
#6Oni_TatsujinPosted 10/20/2011 10:54:39 PM
Quelaag's Soul can make one of two items... Furysword, made with a Curved Blade (Scimitar, Falchion). It's pretty dang good and gets extra damage the more Humanity you have. Quelaag's Soul with a Katana makes the Chaos Blade... I don't know what it looks like or its moveset, but a lot of people say it's terrible. Quelaag is the boss of Blighttown, by the way.

There are four Katanas I know of. Iaito, Uchigatana, Murakomo (sp) and Washing Pole.

Uchigatana is a lot like the Iaito, except it has a piercing R2 attack instead of a sheathed lunge. Washing Pole is twice the length of Uchigatana, same moveset, same damage, but has lower durability (Katanas are fragile to begin with), and high stat requirements. Murakomo... I've never encountered it, I don't know what it is like.

Uchigatana can be obtained by killing the male undead merchant in Undead Burg, the one who sells the orange Soapstone. Washing Pole is a bit more complicated. You need to journey behind that 20k soul sealed door in Darkroot Forest, join the White Cat's covenant, speak with Shiva of the East just outside of the white cat's place (this is vital), then journey to Blighttown. Shiva will be resting against a wall near the water-wheel lift in the lower swamp. He sells many oriental weapons, from the Uchi and Washing Pole to claws and curved swords.

Shiva also has a transparent, silent ninja friend that stays near him. Killing him nets you a Ring that lets you do cartwheels instead of Rolling. Makes you incredibly fast and nimble.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TsEpDS7-Mw
See quote for my gamertag, steam name, and youtube :D
#7jreeve81(Topic Creator)Posted 10/20/2011 11:15:01 PM
Thank. Well the damn cat won't talk to me anymore so I guess I'll stick with the Iaito. Besides I like pretending I'm Rurouni Kenshin. Do you still get to meet Shiva if you mess up the Forest Convant?
#8Banchou-kunPosted 10/20/2011 11:16:30 PM

buying Absolution ought to fix your forest covenent problems. she should talk to you then.

#9Oni_TatsujinPosted 10/20/2011 11:16:36 PM
Nope. Shiva will only appear if you are a member.

You can talk to the black-robed man in the Undead Parish Church that appeared after ringing the bell; Absolving Sins makes all NPCs forgive you. Be warned, it's expensive. Your soul level times 2,000.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TsEpDS7-Mw
See quote for my gamertag, steam name, and youtube :D
#10-Damien-Posted 10/20/2011 11:33:29 PM(edited)
heavenkim posted...
there's a total of 4 types of katana, the Iaito, Uchigatana, washing pole (which looks like the one Sephiroth from FFVII uses) and... forgot the name for the last one, the one you get from killing Shiva. XD

and so far I find washing pole in my liking, it's also the only weapon that I can actually won PvPs with.

Murakumo is not a katana, it's a large curved sword. The character carries it over the shoulder, so it can't be categorized as katana.

Jagged Ghost Blade is also not a katana, it's more like a long curved dagger.

4 katanas in the game, Uchi, Iaito, Chaos Blade, and Washing Pole.

Chaos Blade has a different R2 attack than uchi and iaito