Dark Souls PVP guide.

#1JackLovesRidleyPosted 10/24/2011 10:29:26 AM
I feel like there's a lot of confusion regarding PVP in this game so I wanted to make a quick FAQ type guide regarding it. It's going on a couple boards so if it's not useful for that particular board feel free to downvote/remove/whatever.

Q: How do I invade?
A: Become a member of the Dark Wraith covenant for unlimited invasions. To do this, you must beat the four kings BEFORE you give Frampt the lordvessel and speak to his evil counterpart. You can also join Darkmoon/Forest covenant, but these do not offer as much freedom in invasion. This does NOT effect the game's ending in any way.

Q: Why can I never invade?
A: You can only invade people of a higher level. The 10% level difference DOES NOT apply to Darkmoon/forest covenant/Darkwraith. A level 20 can invade a level 700, but the level 700 cannot invade the level 20. Also, the invaded player cannot have cleared the area boss. If you're a level 90 trying to invade in Anor Londo, chances are most people have cleared the area boss and is the reason why your invasions are failing.

Q: How do I combat the Ring of fog?
A: The ring of fog really isn't anything spectacular. A "Pro" PVPer only ever uses locking on for strafing. Thrusting weapons tend to do poorly against them, however, using AoE spells or wide sweeping weapons work wonders. If the map allows it, it's also much better to get them into a narrow corridor to limit backstab potential. If they're using RoF they're likely not using exceptionally high poise armor/wolf ring and you can probably stun lock them.

Q: How do I combat TWoP?
A: TWoP has a somewhat limited range and is relatively slow to cast. It's easiest just to bait someone into casting it until they run out of casts.

Q: What's the best armor?
A: Build Dependent. Never go above 50% equip load, however, as that's almost assured death. Havel's Armor/Giant's armor/etc also slow down stamina recovery time. Black Iron armor has better stats than Havel's when fully upgraded, is lighter, and comes with no stamina penalty. Elite Knight's armor also comes close and is even lighter. The Antiquated skirt is arguably the best legging in comparison to weight.

Q: What level should I be for PVP?
A: Depends on where you want to PVP. The lower the level, the more access you'll have in terms of pvp. The final area seems to have a level range between 99 and 120 for the PS3 version, and 80-120 for the 360 version. At Anor Londo staying under level 50 is preferable.
---
http://card.mygamercard.net/gbar/Riley+Martian.gif
#2exodus18Posted 10/24/2011 10:36:24 AM(edited)
I recall reading somewhere that Havel's does not incur a stamina penalty.

The guide may not be entirely accurate in stating stamina penalties, and in reality, only armors that have stamina penalty listed in the in-game description actually have it.

I will also add that I believe PvP level restrictions are directional. In the case of Darkwraiths, you will certainly invade any SL above you, regardless of +10 (or +10%). See http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/606312-dark-souls/60689642.
#3JackLovesRidley(Topic Creator)Posted 10/24/2011 10:42:43 AM
In regards to the latter that is what I was saying, I should have been more clear.

In regard to the former, I'm quite sure Havel's effects stamina regeneration, if only by a bit. Try running around with the full set, then try running around in a thief's set.

I believe the recovery penalty is based on equipment burden, not the armor itself. So if you could mix and match some of the heavier armors and still stay at a lower equip load, you won't have the penalties.
---
#4caelitus1Posted 10/24/2011 10:45:34 AM
I could use some tips for the forest covenant. Whenever I get summoned I run around trying to find the perp and eventually just give up out of boredom
#5JackLovesRidley(Topic Creator)Posted 10/24/2011 11:32:48 AM
I think my largest tip would just to not be in the forest covenant. I personally find it to be crap.
---
#6JackLovesRidley(Topic Creator)Posted 10/24/2011 6:50:45 PM
Up.
---
#7TwStedPrinCePosted 10/24/2011 7:30:19 PM
I didn't know about the boss part. I will probably never beat the game just so I can hang around the last area, as that's the 4-1 if this game right? Only alternative would be to go into ng+ and get back there again but for someone like me, with limited time to play, it would probably take awhile.

You didn't mention the dragon covenant for PvP. How does that work exactly in terms of invading and level restrictions?
---
@xxxxxxxxxxxxx[[[[[]:::: TwistedPrince ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/
#8JackLovesRidley(Topic Creator)Posted 10/25/2011 3:04:19 PM
TwStedPrinCe
Posted 10/24/2011 10:30:19 PM
message detail
I didn't know about the boss part. I will probably never beat the game just so I can hang around the last area, as that's the 4-1 if this game right? Only alternative would be to go into ng+ and get back there again but for someone like me, with limited time to play, it would probably take awhile.

You didn't mention the dragon covenant for PvP. How does that work exactly in terms of invading and level restrictions?
---
@xxxxxxxxxxxxx[[[[[]:::: TwistedPrince ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/
_________

You can invade others if you beat the area boss, you just can't be invaded. Also, if you beat the final boss you automatically get put into NG+.

Frankly, I don't know anything about the dragon covenant. I think they use soapstones? If so, then that's not nearly the same as invasion. More like dueling.
---
#9omniabsencePosted 10/25/2011 3:05:06 PM
You're intentions are good. But know the difference between a guide and an FAQ.
#10TwStedPrinCePosted 10/25/2011 3:11:07 PM
JackLovesRidley posted...
TwStedPrinCe
Posted 10/24/2011 10:30:19 PM
message detail

---
_________

You can invade others if you beat the area boss, you just can't be invaded. Also, if you beat the final boss you automatically get put into NG+.

Frankly, I don't know anything about the dragon covenant. I think they use soapstones? If so, then that's not nearly the same as invasion. More like dueling.

So would darkwraith be a good choice? People have said the lower level the better. But, I'm already close to level 90. Isn't most PvP centered around last area of the game levels 90-120?
---