Demon Spear - best weapon in the game?

#21PureAzurePosted 10/28/2011 9:22:27 PM
I feel lonely knowing that lightning weapons like these do 300+ damage while I'm only doing 200+ with my +15 Iaito with 40 DEX. =(

Regardless, I prefer to go pure out melee and physical. So I can only blame myself.

However, after the upcoming patch, if scaling becomes a lot better, DragonSlayer Spear might be the strongest spear given its multiple scaling and ridiculous length.
#22shantdPosted 10/28/2011 9:27:24 PM

I know the advantages of a spear, but unless I'm doing PVP I doing want to have to pepper my enemies 10 times to kill them. It's not just the fact that there are weapons which out-damage it, it's the fact that it's WAY weaker than those. There's at least a certain damage threshold that needs to be met...for me anyway.

#23shantdPosted 10/28/2011 9:32:02 PM

PureAzure posted...
I feel lonely knowing that lightning weapons like these do 300+ damage while I'm only doing 200+ with my +15 Iaito with 40 DEX. =(

Are you talking about actual damage, or listed damage? I'm using a +4 lightning Iaito and the listed damage is in the mid to high 400s. I'd have to think that a +15 has a higher listed damage than barely 200, no?

Separately, I also started out planning to do a DEX build because I felt it was superior to strength builds in Demon's Souls. After I got to 20 DEX though, I changed my mind. There are too many good weapons that require STR, and few for DEX. 3/4 of the way through the game, I don't think I've found a DEX weapon that requires more than 20 yet.

#24KosakePosted 10/28/2011 9:32:10 PM

Demon Spear is a damn nice weapon, I can't really disagree. The range on it? No contest at all.

However if you're in the higher SL ranges (80+) then you can start doing either a Dex Build with a Partisan, which is a spear type that has amazing range; not to mention you can enchant it with Crystal Magic Weapon, and easily destroy the damage that your old Demon Spear used to do.

That is however if you are after range. If range becomes less of a non-issue, as it is for so many bosses, going with a weapon like the Man-serpent Greatsword +15 with CMW on it will pretty much destroy anything, and it's a Large Sword, so it's very viable as a 1h weapon. Basically the same as the Claymore, but with better Str stat scaling and a slightly shorter range.

The Zwei is VERY over-rated imo. The only place I can see that being useful is for the 4 Kings fight, and even then a slightly weaker but faster weapon will out-damage it. It's swing speed is slow, movements are predictable, and it's stupid how easily it can be parried in PvP. Or my favorite thing to do on another toon, wait for someone to swing the thing at me, back up and toss a chaos fireball at them. ^.^

#25DemonhonorPosted 10/28/2011 9:34:24 PM
It looks cool and does lightning damage right off the bat.In the hands of a good spear user its deadly, but easy to parry as all spears are.People forget to use whats fun and looks cool instead of only using the OP choice. Any weapon in skilled hands can kill anyone period. Unique R2 is awesome too...
#26shantdPosted 10/28/2011 9:36:06 PM

How do you level up the Partizan? +15 or elemental? I've got one, I like the move set...wasn't sure if there was a better spear to level up though seeing as how disappointed I was with the demon spear.

Also, for pure range, isn't the Pike supposed to have the most? I believe it states it right in the description...

#27shantdPosted 10/28/2011 9:37:06 PM

Demonhonor posted...
It looks cool and does lightning damage right off the bat.In the hands of a good spear user its deadly, but easy to parry as all spears are.People forget to use whats fun and looks cool instead of only using the OP choice. Any weapon in skilled hands can kill anyone period. Unique R2 is awesome too...

Yeah but that R2 is way too slow to be useful.

#28mrklarrydPosted 10/28/2011 9:40:02 PM
Yeah. gotta love the man-serpent sword +15
#29DemonhonorPosted 10/28/2011 9:42:08 PM
Strong R2's are all about timing after a knockdown etc..
As I said,all weapons in the right hands are deadly.
#30PureAzurePosted 10/28/2011 9:43:51 PM
shantd posted...

PureAzure posted...

Are you talking about actual damage, or listed damage? I'm using a +4 lightning Iaito and the listed damage is in the mid to high 400s. I'd have to think that a +15 has a higher listed damage than barely 200, no?Separately, I also started out planning to do a DEX build because I felt it was superior to strength builds in Demon's Souls. After I got to 20 DEX though, I changed my mind. There are too many good weapons that require STR, and few for DEX. 3/4 of the way through the game, I don't think I've found a DEX weapon that requires more than 20 yet.

Listed damage would be around mid 300. But after applying defense, most monsters in the late game (1st playthrough) only receive about 200+ damage max from my +15 Iaito.

It's quite saddening that DEX build is almost redundant in Dark Souls with the terrible scaling. =(