- Dark Souls - FAQs and Starting Tips - *Potentially Minor Spoilers*

#41Sliver_Fata_ZPosted 11/7/2011 4:49:11 AMmessage detail
Thanks, this was a huge help ( l am kind of new )
---
PSN - Sliver_Fata_Z
#42DuneManPosted 11/7/2011 9:24:06 AMmessage detail
I noticed a few things.

Crystal weapon path is handled by the giant smith, and not Rickert of Vinheim.

Despite you telling folks to avoid New Londo Ruins with the ghosts early on, I expected you to continue your 'suicide run' advice and tell folks to go for the Firekeeper Soul item down there. For anyone curious: as soon as you hit your first ghost turn right and follow that wall, spin around the end of it to the backside and go for that glowy object across the narrow underwater bridge in front of you. An upgraded Estus Flask that early in the game makes a huge difference.

A few other addendum items....
If you want incredibly sturdy heavy armor, for that relatively early point in the game, find Alvina's(the cat that offers the Forest Hunters covenant) stone hut in Darkroot Forest and go out the back door and down the stairs. Once there, circle around the outer wall until you're under the small bridge and open the chest here: Stone Armor also has decent elemental resists.

Bring a Spider Shield to Blight Town to block both the poisonous attacks there and the toxic blowdarts: which is the important reason to bring this shield. To find a Spider Shield, you can get one in the Depths. Once you hit the Butcher room, and find the Large Ember there(for upgrades, give to Andrei), examine the wall to the right to find a chute down. In this new area, stay on the catwalk(!), and follow the right side around for the shield. Alternatively, a full set of Bandit armor is found in the Valley of Drakes on the large stone bridge there. That set is guarded by some monsters though, so be careful.
---
"I'd rather betray the world than let the world betray me." -Cao Cao
#43MonteCrispoPosted 11/7/2011 9:45:42 AMmessage detail
Do you have any interest in actually learning as you play lol
#44DuneManPosted 11/7/2011 9:50:07 AMmessage detail
I wasn't aware that this topic held one's hand for the entirety of the game. :P

These are tips for newer players to help them get a handle on the first moments of the game. While you can call it a flawed comparison, not every player out there picks the hardest difficulty available to them from the start before ever starting a new game. This topic serves as an option for those wanting a more middling difficulty when starting.
---
#45VesperasPosted 11/7/2011 4:30:43 PMmessage detail
" Note: In patch 1.03 and prior, cannot be obtained outside of choosing the Thief Class (which begins the game with the Master Key) or choosing the gift at the beginning of the game. "

How come I find one all the time in the depraved room right after the 1st bore?
---
PSN: Vesperas
"Hey, how's your wife and my kids?" <--James Washington
#46DuneManPosted 11/7/2011 5:02:21 PMmessage detail
True Vespy posted...
How come I find one all the time in the depraved room right after the 1st bore?

MASTER Key, not MYSTERY Key.
---
#47Renegade109(Topic Creator)Posted 11/7/2011 10:50:48 PMmessage detail
I noticed a few things.

Crystal weapon path is handled by the giant smith, and not Rickert of Vinheim.

Thanks for pointing that out, this is correct.

My apologies for the error guys.

And good tips as always. ; )
---
http://i.imgur.com/PELu7.png
What are YOU playing?
#48WrattsPosted 11/8/2011 2:25:34 AMmessage detail
If you're having trouble with the Gargoyles, you can summon TWO NPCs—not just Solaire, but also Lautrec. If you've spoken with Solaire and freed Lautrec from the cell, you can summon them both while in human form before traversing the fog to encounter the Bell Gargoyles. Solaire's summoning sign is in front of the white fog; Lautrec's sign is on the darker platform (in the back) just before going up the ladder to the Solaire's sign.

With these two, you should be able to make short work of this boss battle at any level as long as you don't fall off the rooftop.
#49parkurtommoPosted 11/8/2011 5:36:01 AMmessage detail

Very nice indeed, nicely done.

#50VesperasPosted 11/8/2011 8:38:57 AMmessage detail
" MASTER Key, not MYSTERY Key. "

Oops, proof I'm dyslexic...
---
PSN: Vesperas
"Hey, how's your wife and my kids?" <--James Washington