After making a few chars, this has become my starting pattern:
-Suicide runs.
-Bridge-grind to lvl 15ish.
-Drake sword (unless mage).
-Hydra, antiquated skirt.
-Forest-grind to lvl 60ish.
-Upgrade eq. at blacksmith
-Get Havel's Ring and Ring of Favor & Protection

I feel that grinding, whilst helpful, and somewhat tedious I would presume, isn't really necessary to comfortably stroll through the game.

As soon as you acquire the Drakesword and the Hornet Ring, pretty much everything between then and Sen's Fortress dies in one-two backstabs, and then you've got the Lightning Spear on-hand to blitz through the rest of the game if that's your intention.

zyrax2301 posted...
Well, ain't this nice?

Good work Renegade.

Thanks, broski. <3
---
http://i.imgur.com/PELu7.png
What are YOU playing?
#64meralonnePosted 11/26/2011 11:23:12 AMmessage detail
Renegade,

Nice work, man. I have something to add to the summoning discussion (and potentially covenants as well):

Renegade109 posted...
The flat +/-10 or merely 10% thing is highly likely to be a mistake...

For example:

The clientís level must be within the lower 10% of the hostís level. Formula: LH &#8805; (LC x 0.9), where LC is the level of the client and LH is the level of the host. For example, if the level of host is 20, then their world will only be invaded by players who are levels 18, 19 or 20 and all other players will not be able to invade the world of this host.

The guide book on the other hand allegedly states that: The level difference between all the players must be within 10 Soul Levels.

Conflicting information, and yet many have disproven this already, having invaded people several hundred levels above in some instances.

Another note on the Wikidot on summoning:

Both the official guide and Namco are incorrect. I have summoned and been summoned by players 11 levels above me (level 62 and level 73).

I too have experienced this, I queried a couple of players I summoned when fighting Quelaag a short while back at SL30. The ones I caught turned out to be between SL19 and SL25, meaning that the flat +/-10% thing is definitely a mistake, and quite obviously if it were a flat +/-10 then I wouldn't have been able to summon the SL19. I also distinctly remember one topic made on this very board which produced similar claims.

From this I can only deduct that +/-10 or +/-10% alone are incorrect, and in actuality summoning likely functions akin to how it was in Demon's Souls (+/-10 + 10%), which wouldn't be far-fetched given all the stuff that was practically transferred over without alteration (e.g. HP figures at certain Vitality breakpoints, Stamina capping at 40 Endurance, etc).

So I honestly can't say that it's 100% fact, but I can say that it's more correct than the claims of exclusively either +/-10 or +/-10% of current soul level for the summoning ranges and invasions.

Based on an experience I had yesterday, it would appear that the summoning range is even greater than this.

Last night, at level 25, I was summoned to fight S&O in Anor Londo. Out of curiosity, I messaged the host to find out his level. His response: 54.

This may have to do with the fact that I am currently with the Warriors of Sunlight covenant, and may be an indication of how the game "makes being summoned easier" when you're in this covenant.
---
"Sigs are for dorks."-- my wife
#65Renegade109(Topic Creator)Posted 11/26/2011 11:44:46 AMmessage detail
Thanks Mera.

As for the level calculations as of 1.05, it's just as you say, they are no longer +/-10 + 10%, that was only relevant for pre 1.04 (at the time of writing the FAQ, no less).

I'm not sure what the current calculation is but I've seen ranges that exceed +/-20% + 20 in some cases in 1.05.
---
What are YOU playing?
#66Generic_DudePosted 1/3/2012 10:29:04 PMmessage detail
So when I die, all I'm losing is humanity (which can be obtained elsewhere as enemy drops) and souls, right? There's nothing like in Demon's Souls with the Character or World Tendency? So basically, there's no changes that occur when I die that will ultimately screw up a whole playthrough like there was in that game?
#67Renegade109(Topic Creator)Posted 1/4/2012 2:49:21 AMmessage detail
Generic_Dude posted...
So when I die, all I'm losing is humanity (which can be obtained elsewhere as enemy drops) and souls, right? There's nothing like in Demon's Souls with the Character or World Tendency? So basically, there's no changes that occur when I die that will ultimately screw up a whole playthrough like there was in that game?

No tendency business this time around.

As with Demom's Souls you lose your own soul stockpile (stored in your bloodstain, of course) along with your humanity.

Both are retrieved upon reacquiring your bloodstain, lost completely if you experience a second death without retrieval.

However, though there is no tendency function, Gravelord Covenant players can cause Black Phantom enemies to appear in your game, essentially mimicking Pure Black World Tendency from DeS.
---
What are YOU playing?
#68Generic_DudePosted 1/4/2012 9:40:06 AMmessage detail
Renegade109 posted...
Generic_Dude posted...

No tendency business this time around.

As with Demom's Souls you lose your own soul stockpile (stored in your bloodstain, of course) along with your humanity.

Both are retrieved upon reacquiring your bloodstain, lost completely if you experience a second death without retrieval.

However, though there is no tendency function, Gravelord Covenant players can cause Black Phantom enemies to appear in your game, essentially mimicking Pure Black World Tendency from DeS.
---
What are YOU playing?

Thanks, Renegade -- it sounds like the penalties for death aren't as severe as they were in the last game. I don't mind doing a little more soul grinding or tracking down more humanity, which, while perhaps valuable, is not a unique item... and I don't necessarily mind situations occurring where the game gets a little tougher and whatnot. I just don't want to make some ignorant decision at the beginning of my playthrough that locks me out of unique weapons and armor and whatnot.

Basically, is there some difference between Dark Souls and Demon's Souls that I need to watch out for in particular?
#69Renegade109(Topic Creator)Posted 1/4/2012 8:39:09 PMmessage detail
Generic_Dude posted...
Basically, is there some difference between Dark Souls and Demon's Souls that I need to watch out for in particular?

Tail weapons would be something to make note of.

Particular bosses, Belfry Gargoyles, Gaping Dragon, Hellkite Drake, Priscilla, etc, all have weapons which can be procured by removing their tail with enough attacks. In addition, there are two more instances where you can obtain tail weapons (one who is a non-boss), both are technically spoilers to point out so I'll leave that to you to find them yourself.

The other notable change (which was covered in the FAQ but I'll reiterate) is that you no longer have to wait until NG+ to revert NPC's a non-hostile state, speak to Oswald of Carim at the Bell Tower behind where you fight the Belfry Gargs. He will appear only after you climb up and ring the bell, you'll find him on the ground floor. Oswald will charge you a fee depending on your character level in order to reset the disposition of NPC's.
---
What are YOU playing?
#70Generic_DudePosted 1/5/2012 10:14:03 AMmessage detail
Okay, thanks Renegade. I noticed the tail weapons during a fight with the gargoyles so that's something I'll watch out for. Good news about the hostile NPCs I guess, though I got through 3 or 4 playthroughs of Demon's Souls without accidentally harming a single NPC -- not entirely sure why people seem to have such a problem with that.