Alright, give it to me straight. How worthless are the whips?

#1DbHKPosted 11/6/2011 6:52:34 PM
Because when I killed that hoe King Jeremiah in the Painted World, I got what I've discovered to be the coolest weapon in the game (note: I did not say most effective). Upon equipping this masterpiece of weak ass destruction, I instantly transformed into Simon Belmont, and I ask you fellow know-it-all Dark Souls vets one question:

Can this weapon be made into a badass soul-claimer?
---
PSN: HBFTK
360: DeathbyHighKick
#2PieMan2K8Posted 11/6/2011 6:53:24 PM
Nope, it's terrible.
---
psn:Dalers990
#3vhunter14Posted 11/6/2011 6:54:42 PM
I'm using the normal whip on lightning now +4 and it's pretty good, but the notched whip i would go for a scaling upgrade, they're not bad people just bash it cuz of the animations and no backstab, but it also can't be parried and has a wide double hand attack range.
---
Official Nemesis Of the UMVC3 Board...S.T.A.R.S...
#4FruitOfTheDoomPosted 11/6/2011 6:55:28 PM
They are quite cool, but not really PvP viable.

Fun to use in PvE though.
---
All puns intended, especially sexually suggestive ones!
#5ObsidusPosted 11/6/2011 6:57:48 PM
No. =/

Notched Whip + 15 is like 190 attack with a B scaling in DEX.

Even with 40 DEX B scaling is sorta low, and 190 base damage is REALLY low. Most of that B scaling bonus would be wasted picking up the slack of such poor base damage. But that wouldn't be enough to hold it back if it weren't for the fact that the moveset sucks badly also. Elemental versions aren't much better imo.

The R1 is very slow and telegraphed and has a short range and narrow hit area. The R2 combo isn't bad but isn't enough to compensate imo. Plus the coup de grace is you cannot backstab or riposte with whips (I might be wrong, but I tried over and over on all the Hollow soldiers in Undead Burg and could never do it).

So for PVE? Just about any weapon could be good. Notched whip + 15 and 40 dex with a cinder/pine resin or Crystal Magic Weapon would still do well vs. monsters. Just about anything will.

NG+ and beyond I think the damage would start to suck.

In pvp? Terrible.
#6DbHK(Topic Creator)Posted 11/6/2011 6:57:49 PM
FruitOfTheDoom posted...
They are quite cool, but not really PvP viable.

Fun to use in PvE though.

Yeah I reckon that if I busted this thing out in a PvP match, my opponent would piss himself and probably unequip his weapon and go bare-knuckle against me.
---
PSN: HBFTK
360: DeathbyHighKick
#7ryokoalwaysPosted 11/6/2011 6:59:18 PM
whip description has "not intended for combat" as part of the description.
#8ObsidusPosted 11/6/2011 7:00:54 PM
I really wish there was a chain whip with a flail head on it that did crushing damage and rocked. Godthat would be epic.

Maybe like 200 base damage at +15 , B scaling in STR C scaling in DEX. Longer range or something.
#9Yian YanPosted 11/6/2011 7:01:41 PM
Off hand they can parry!. . . That's sorta useful, right?
---
DWO - Wei - from Yong Chang
#10DespondentDeityPosted 11/6/2011 7:02:36 PM
I thought there was supposed to be a flying guillotine?