Best weapon upgrade for faith build?

#1Mads19821982Posted 11/8/2011 8:29:05 AM
I'm currently using a faith build with claymore as primary weapon. I'm into both PVE and PVP.

I hear many people saying that lightning +5 is the best upgrade path, while others say that it isn't necessarily so as all elemental weapons have to cut through two resistances.

So, my question is:
How should I upgrade my claymore for maximum effect in PVE and PVP?

My build:
Soul level: 70
Vitality: 26
Attunement: 19
Endurance: 32
Strength: 16
Dexterity: 10
Resistance: 11
Intelligence: 8
Faith: 30
#2cynicalsaintPosted 11/8/2011 8:32:56 AM
For a Faith Build Occult/Divine/+15 are going to be your main options.

+15 is to be used with Sunlight Blade or Darkmoon Blade buffs, and Occult/Divine are the Faith scaling weapon paths.
---
If all else fails, use fire.
PSN - cynicalsaint ~:::~ XBL - cynicalsaint0 ~:::~ MH3 ID: 3GN4UU / Nera
#3DividedXZeroPosted 11/8/2011 8:37:42 AM
I have a fully upgraded divine claymore, sadly..lightning still out damages it.

So i got a halberd, (also working on gargoyle halberd) into a lightning path and keeping one for a divine path hoping the patch will yield more benefits.

Occult scales better but the damage (just looking at numbers here) is still slightly below the divine path....so it doesn't seem useful at all.
---
PSN: DividedXZero-(BB: Arakune)
"My Beez are Hungry" (~'. ')~
#4ChronoProdigy14Posted 11/8/2011 8:43:16 AM
I leveled up my sunlight straight sword to max Divine, just for fun mostly. I have 30 faith, SL 73, and the damage with my max divine sword isn't great, especially for a maxed out weapon. I want to make an occult great scythe, again just for fun, but I'm pretty sure elemental weapons are just a better upgrade path at the moment.
---
Create a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day.
Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
#5mrklarrydPosted 11/8/2011 8:49:34 AM
Occult Greatscythe is the best faith-build weapon I've found that scales with faith. Great moveset, high-damage (relatively speaking) and causes bleed. With high enough faith (~60) divine Painting Guardian sword can do some damage as well, if you can get accustomed to the rather unique moveset. +10 divine claymore...I wasn't really impressed with.

But yeah, as of now (before patch) a lightning weapon or a +15 with blade buffs is going to outdamage any of these things.
#6Mads19821982(Topic Creator)Posted 11/8/2011 9:00:45 AM
Is it too early to tell what will be the best way to upgrade a weapon for a faith build after the patch?

How many weapons can you upgrade to lightning +5 per playthrough? As far as I know, there is only one large ember per game. I know that I'm a noob, but is this totally wrong?
#7exclusiveburnerPosted 11/8/2011 9:09:33 AM
You only have 30 faith so naturally you can't expect much gains via scaling. Honestly it comes down to move set imo. Pick one that you like, not one that does more damage, because you might find a weapon that does 700 damage, but is hard as hell to land, while I have a weapon that does 500 damage and can hit you 3 times every time you miss.
#8mrklarrydPosted 11/8/2011 9:13:35 AM
After patch, all I know is a bug with Grant gets fixed and it starts scaling really well. Whether it'll be better that anything else, I don't know.

What the embers do is allow blacksmiths to upgrade materials to a next level. Once they can do that, they can do that for the rest of the playthrough (they're not consumables) as long as you have the raw materials.

The consumable item you need to get a weapon to Lightning +5 are called titanite chunks and a titanite slab. Chunks you can get from enemies. Slabs, you get, I think 2 just playing normally, but you can also get those from enemies, albeit very, very rarely from pretty dangerous bad guys in a pretty inconvenient location to get to.
#9exclusiveburnerPosted 11/8/2011 9:23:30 AM
Embers just allow the upgrade path, you need upgrade stones to improve the weapon, shards, large shards, chunks, and eventually to max it out you'll need a slab. There is no limit to how many you can have, its infinite as long as you can farm slabs...
#10cynicalsaintPosted 11/8/2011 10:11:00 AM
Mads19821982 posted...
Is it too early to tell what will be the best way to upgrade a weapon for a faith build after the patch?

How many weapons can you upgrade to lightning +5 per playthrough? As far as I know, there is only one large ember per game. I know that I'm a noob, but is this totally wrong?

1.04 is already out in Japan, so we have a pretty good idea where things are going. Basically long story short its sounding like +15 w/ buff and the Magic/Enchanted/Divine/Occult paths should be viable.

That said damage isn't the end all be all stat in PvP, there are a lot more factors such as weapon type and move set and poise and such that come into play. As far as PvE goes you should be good using whatever you're comfortable with.

I beat the game using a Divine Halberd +10 as my main weapon on my Faith build, and I didn't run into any significant problems.
---
If all else fails, use fire.
PSN - cynicalsaint ~:::~ XBL - cynicalsaint0 ~:::~ MH3 ID: 3GN4UU / Nera